They say it comes in threes (Alpinestar)

BBJ

After the issue with my Nexx X.D1 adventure helmet, I hope number 3 is not around the corner!

Like any safety conscientious biker, I always change my gear when I think it's had better days.  After getting a good 3 years out of my Alpinestar SMX street boot, I opted for a new pair of Sierra Gortex XCR which I recently purchased at the Bangkok International Motor Show from an Authorised and reputable dealer, apparently.  There was a decent discount so along with the boots, I bought a new pair of gloves too.

After 4 days use with approximate a 20km round trip on each day, the boots have already fallen apart with the soles hanging off the rear of the left boot and showing signs on the right.  Hoping for a replacement, the dealer said they spoke to the distributor who can only offer to glue the boot back together.  Am I missing something here?  Aren't genuine products designed for safety and when signs of wear or shown it's best to discard of them for that very reason?  These are not market stall boots or copies!  As it stood, my 3-year-old boots would've still offered better protection.  I asked for a replacement or at least a refund, both were rejected.

As you can see, the boots are clean and barely used.

I know this is Thailand, but is there any form of consumer protection?

Will keep all future purchased with Panda Rider.

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

Edited by BBJ

Yes that is plainly poor manufacturing.  There is stuff all surface area for the contact adhesive to stick too.

Plus the soles haven't been stitched to the uppers which would have provided a more suitable connection.

I don't know about consumer protection in this country but I wouldn't hold my breath trying to get anything back.

If they decide to reglue the boots it will likely happen again. And if they put 'Super glue' anywhere near the boots you may as well throw them out.

Super glue would be a last resort as nothing will stick to where super glue was previously used.

I worked in a shoe repair business for a while. Some of the more expensive footware were not always the best constructed.

Check the labels...although even those can be copied in most places throughout Asia.  I hope your boots aren't Chinese knockoffs.

If I was in your shoes and could get no satisfaction from the seller then a quick email to Alpinestars head office may get a better result.

They may even recind his approved/authorised seller licence.

Were they bought from Panda Rider - your first post is not very clear.

Agree with above ...

https://www.alpinestars.com/return-policy/

What is your return policy?

We guarantee our merchandise to be free of manufacturing defects. If an item you have received is defective, we will be glad to assist you with processing a refund. For help with processing your return, please contact our Customer Service team – (US) 1-800-409-0903 / (INT) +1-310-891-0222 or contact us here.

Edited by canthai55

To be clear, they were not purchased from Panda Rider who I have always been happy with.  The dealer is called Alpinestars A Square.  Sukhumvit.  

I have posted on facebook since they refused both refund or a change via the distributor.  They are not happy about it.  It will hurt our reputation, they said!  

I have contacted consumer protection and Emailed international Alpinestars already. 

Edited by BBJ

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

I have posted on facebook since they refused both refund or a change via the distributor.  They are not happy about it.  It will hurt our reputation, they said! 

Tuff. You are not happy with buying defective, substandard gear either. If they stood by their products they would not have to worry about their reputation - it would be good. As it is ... Eat It !

Let us know the outcome. I have been wearing Alpinestars for years. Always been happy. Products stand up well - but I buy from N. America as no one has sizes I need here.

Here is the current pair -

Boots.jpg

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Tuff. You are not happy with buying defective, substandard gear either. If they stood by their products they would not have to worry about their reputation - it would be good. As it is ... Eat It !

Let us know the outcome. I have been wearing Alpinestars for years. Always been happy. Products stand up well - but I buy from N. America as no one has sizes I need here.

Here is the current pair -

Boots.jpg

Me too.  I said I owned my previous ones 3 years, but it was actually 4/5 as I bought them when I first bought my 2013 Versys.  Exactly the same as yours but ankle hight.  Mine was in similar condition but cracked across the toe line.

Edited by BBJ

Result!

After a bombardment of Thai comments via facebook, the dealer, along with the distributor have agreed to change them provided I remove the posts.

It’s a shame that one has to turn to social media to make a point when a company, at absolute minimal cost, could maintain its reputation by honouring customer values!

Seems some are stick stuck in reverse!

Edited by BBJ

11 minutes ago, BBJ said:

Result!

After a bombardment of Thai comments via facebook, the dealer, along with the distributor have agreed to change them provided I remove the posts.

It’s a shame that one has to turn to social media to make a point when a company, at absolute minimal cost, could maintain its reputation by honouring customer values!

Seems some are stick stuck in reverse!

hmmmm ....  that happens all over the world,  especially with big corporations, they won't accept any responsibility until they lose face ... so to speak.   well done.  seems they need a QC/QA and alot more glue.

51 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

BBJ,

Any street (Sukhumvit) corner shoe repair guy will fix (re-glue) them for you and even sew the soles on. Happens a lot to soggy running shoes.

Sorted! 

More than happy to do with a well used shoe, but not brand new.

I share your disappointment BBJ.   To me selling a defective product and not being willing to make it right is akin to theft.

Yes I also wish there was a bit more protection for the consumer but alas there is not.

I suppose a lot of TVF members would cry about nanny state  tendencies if Thailand did enact  a more consumer friendly environment.

14 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking about these fancy shnacy m boots.. a good ole pair of hiking boots sometimes is the best bet or even the brown or black army boots.

Indeed.

The pics in the OP look just like a pair of fancy tall trainers (I hate trainers) with some ankle protection.

Never liked purpose made m/c road riding boots, but then i'm known as a bit of a Luddite.

Myself, always worn work boots, ankle height, generally steel toe capped (in case a stomping is required...) on my road bikes.

The trials bikes require something slightly different however...

20160109_135604.thumb.jpg.89e49a9d31ada6464ab207a3a8ad79c6.jpg

3 hours ago, taninthai said:

Unusual for alpine star,,,had mine 3 years used U.K. and Thailand even wear them on the plane over here no issues,,,,the plus side once you complain to head office of well known company you are always gonna get refund or replacement,,,

image.jpg

H/D tall trainers then...

Modern day army boots at thrice the price?

10 minutes ago, BBJ said:

I also have Forma adventure boots but a pain in the rear for a short trip.

IMG_2992.JPG

Those Forma Adventure's have got great reviews. The soles look fantastic.

I notice, unlike the trials boots, that Forma have not stitched the soles to the uppers, looks like relying just on glue. No problems so far?

Have a look inside where they are made. Mine say designed in Italy. Made in Rumania. But Rumania sounds better than China...

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Those Forma Adventure's have got great reviews. The soles look fantastic.

I notice, unlike the trials boots, that Forma have not stitched the soles to the uppers, looks like relying just on glue. No problems so far?

Have a look inside where they are made. Mine say designed in Italy. Made in Rumania. But Rumania sounds better than China...

Had a lot of stick so far and I often jet wash them when caked in mud.  Been submerged, baked in the sun and more.  Still look good when cleaned up.

As a production engineer I have a rather controversial theory.. resulting in "don't buy stuff in Thailand".

A multinational company knows that if there is a problem with a product in, say, the UK, the consumer protection act demands that the offending item is replaced or money refunded and that the manufacturer pays. However, in Thailand the seller just tells you to bugga-off.

So, if you were a multinational, where would you ship your "iffy" gear?

To me, it is no coincidence that 95-98%% of everything I buy in the UK is good and when I buy stuff here it is around 50%.

A few years back I looked at buying a pair of boots here, at the checkout I gave the soles a good twist and they both split at the heel and toe. The guy in the shop was really angry, so we made a quick exit.

I had a pair of boots I bought in the UK where the soles fell off, but they were around 30 years old.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:28 AM, AllanB said:

As a production engineer I have a rather controversial theory.. resulting in "don't buy stuff in Thailand".

A multinational company knows that if there is a problem with a product in, say, the UK, the consumer protection act demands that the offending item is replaced or money refunded and that the manufacturer pays. However, in Thailand the seller just tells you to bugga-off.

So, if you were a multinational, where would you ship your "iffy" gear?

To me, it is no coincidence that 95-98%% of everything I buy in the UK is good and when I buy stuff here it is around 50%.

A few years back I looked at buying a pair of boots here, at the checkout I gave the soles a good twist and they both split at the heel and toe. The guy in the shop was really angry, so we made a quick exit.

I had a pair of boots I bought in the UK where the soles fell off, but they were around 30 years old.

Always had top-notch service from Panda Rider with everything I have bought.  Their prices are not far off the UK either.  

Some and only some understand the value of returning customers.

Edited by BBJ