Traffic police giving away helmets to children in Phuket Town

webfact

Traffic police giving away helmets to children in Phuket Town

"We want to create better awareness among riders with children because we often find children riding bicycles and motorbikes without helmets."

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

26105653_1599892403413688_1787942984_n.j  

PHOTO: Bishal Tamrakar

This morning (December 26), about 50 helmets were given away to children on motorcycles passing by the Mueang Phuket District Office intersection (in front of Merlin Hotel) following a policy to encourage better road safety awareness by deputy commander of Phuket traffic police, Pol Lt Col Teerawat Liamsuwan.

“We want to create better awareness among riders with children because we often find children riding bicycles and motorbikes without helmets. 

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/traffic-police-giving-away-helmets-children-phuket-town

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-12-26

It's great that 50 kids got a helmet but the BIB continue to not give a FF on a daily basis re non helmet wearing motorcycle riders then FA will change.

Same goes for schools and parents (Thai & Western)  that don't encourage it or lead by example, I see so many idiots drop their kids at school (an international one in Kathu) with one or both not wearing a helmet it amazes me, guess they really don't give a SHT about their child's safety or well-being.

Hope some of them read this an take offence.

Edited by beechbum

Absolutely wonderful... I like it... very proactive and I hope they have more than just fifty freebies to give away

but.... I notice on a day to day basis, that a lot of people carry a helmet on their bike, yet don’t bother putting it on their heads, so this initiative now needs to be followed with an ongoing campaign to stop and fine those who choose to ignore the law, otherwise nothing is achieved.

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh stop whining ..... at least they are doing something.

You surely don't believe that, do you? Let me give you an analogy -- I'm in the middle of a lake screaming for help because I'm drowning. You are standing on the shore shouting, "I'm coming!". But you dip your toe in the water and say, "Sorry, it's too cold." What do you think my reaction would be? "Oh, at least steven100 did something"??? Millions of Thais,l including innumerable kiddies, are dead or crippled for life because the cops find the water too cold.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sad reactions here, sad bunch of people.

Sad misunderstanding of the reality. Since when do you think this will make the slightest bit of difference? It is nothing more than stand-alone PR stunt that will be totally ineffectual in getting people to change their ideas about motorbikes. That's what is sad. Stop knocking those who refuse to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

I'm glad to see they are trying something.....anything.

A few years ago my children's school gave out helmets to each student. The kids were all smiling and wearing their new helmets home:smile:. The next morning nearly everyone showed up without a helmet.:sad:

Edited by Coconut Kidd