Largest external hard drives available?

stargazer9999

59 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I read on Toms Hardware that Seagate drives are made in Communist China and Thailand. The Chinese made drives have a bad reputation where the Thai made fare better.

Most made at the huge complex outside Lop Buri. WD also - to name just 2 I know of. Relatives work there. Only the boxes change. and the case so they look different.

Edited by canthai55

4 hours ago, impulse said:

SSD's are great as your boot drive where you keep the OS and your programs, but not viable for an 8 TB  video library.  Anyone who has ever priced out 8 TB of SSD's probably needed smelling salts to bring them back around when they were knocked over.

I still remember my first 8088 Radio Shack PC (bought it half price at $800) that came without a HD and I couldn't afford the $400 for a 10 MB HD.  I did spring the $48 to upgrade from 384 KB of RAM to 640 KB.  (Keep in mind that back then, a case of beer cost about $8-10.)

My first company computer back in 1988 was a Toshiba T1100 with one slot for a floppy (stiffy) 3 1/2 inch drive and 2 whole megabits of RAM. It was soon upgraded to a T1200 with 2 stiffy slots but still only 2Mb RAM. MS office was not in sight and I used Word Perfect in its place.

17 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I tried to google tunderbolt 3 G Technology and only got a Verizon thunderbolt cell phone. Was there a typo perhaps? I am interested in the device.

Ahh update I searched for G-tech found a 10tb Thunderbolt external drive at B&H for $487.77. B&H ships worldwide and does not charge any tax on shipments outside the US. They also offer DHL shipping cheaper and more reliable than lousy Fed Ex. 

Yeah sorry for the Typo.

Thats a better price than I paid. $414 for a 4tb G-Tech

Ill try B&H next time if I can’t find what I need in Thailand

On 12/28/2017 at 10:05 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

NAS is also nice ofcourse as you put several hd's in the NAS , so you can spread your data over several hd's.

Never the less if a hd is failing, you probably loose your data. Sometimes they can revive the data, but it will cost you.

This is not necessarily true (the part about loosing your data if a drive fails). If you have multiple HDDs or SSDs in your NAS, there's the possibility to manage them in a RAID configuration, which has, if done correctly, redundancy. So one failing drive won't mean you'll lose any data at all, you'll just have to replace it with a new one before a second one fails. 

Also, if you have to revive a failed drive, watch this video, very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg

21 hours ago, twizzian said:

Yeah sorry for the Typo.

Thats a better price than I paid. $414 for a 4tb G-Tech

Ill try B&H next time if I can’t find what I need in Thailand

B&H were originally photo suppliers, but with digital coming in they get a few deals once in a while. 

• 3 weeks later...