Police at checkpoints may be punished over road accidents

webfact

5 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

What a load of crap. Their logic defies me. These checkpoints are part of the problem. They do nothing but slow people’s progress from A to B and do nothing to deter speeding and poor driving habits. 

Do some real policing!!!!

But they look good thats all that matters:cheesy:

I think Thailand has a unique problem. I read that 73% of deaths are motorbikes (MBs). From that I think the following:

If Thai had 100% motorbikes then the road deaths would be less. Obviously, if there were 0% MBs then roads deaths would really go down. Therefore, someplace between 0% and 100% is the high point. The high point might be 30% MBs. I do not know but I think Thailand is right or ve3ry close to the apex. For example, USA has very few MBs thus their road deaths should also be relatively less.

I have been here 10 years and do not see consistently dangerous death type of driving from individual car drivers. (Yes, they drive badly causing many traffic jams and minor accidents). I see worse in USA…especially speed. In Thailand I do not see a lot of speed problems with individual cars but I see speed problems with MBs and, obviously, with vans and buses (who might be killing MBs).

Speed kills!!!

Bottom-line: I think I give Thailand a break on dangerous roads for individual cars. I think motorized vehicles are probably killing many MBs but also

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

this gets more bizarre by the day and would be funny if the consequences weren't so tragic. the government, police and it seems nation as a whole cant seem to get round the fact that the carnage on the roads causing death, injury and misery for hundreds of thousands of the population - their own people - is unnecessary. and yet no one is prepared to stand up, take responsibility and do something constructive about it. truly bizarre.

Its called population control. Anyway, they have no idea of what to do or even how to do it. God forbid they would ask for outside help.

23 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

I think Thailand has a unique problem. I read that 73% of deaths are motorbikes (MBs). From that I think the following:

If Thai had 100% motorbikes then the road deaths would be less. Obviously, if there were 0% MBs then roads deaths would really go down. Therefore, someplace between 0% and 100% is the high point. The high point might be 30% MBs. I do not know but I think Thailand is right or ve3ry close to the apex. For example, USA has very few MBs thus their road deaths should also be relatively less.

I have been here 10 years and do not see consistently dangerous death type of driving from individual car drivers. (Yes, they drive badly causing many traffic jams and minor accidents). I see worse in USA…especially speed. In Thailand I do not see a lot of speed problems with individual cars but I see speed problems with MBs and, obviously, with vans and buses (who might be killing MBs).

Speed kills!!!

Bottom-line: I think I give Thailand a break on dangerous roads for individual cars. I think motorized vehicles are probably killing many MBs but also

"I think Thailand has a unique problem. I read that 73% of deaths are motorbikes (MBs). From that I think the following:

If Thai had 100% motorbikes then the road deaths would be less. Obviously, if there were 0% MBs then roads deaths would really go down. Therefore, someplace between 0% and 100% is the high point. The high point might be 30% MBs. I do not know but I think Thailand is right or ve3ry close to the apex. For example, USA has very few MBs thus their road deaths should also be relatively less."

Agree entirely with the above (but not with the 3rd para.).  An increasing number of cars/minibuses etc. combined with a far greater number of 'bikes is a deadly combination.

But this discussion is off-topic.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Currently in Udon Thani I have seen one checkpoint, operated by those wearing light brown, one reading a paper, one playing with his phone . Not even looking at the traffic , situation normal. Same as the last 15 years. so do not expect any change at all .

Lights located where at night they will impair drivers vision .

Intelligence in this setup is sadly lacking .

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

Speed kills!!!

I’ve been here 16 years and seen all types of lunacy by car drivers. 

Edited by Bluespunk

45 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I read that 73% of deaths are motorbikes (MBs). From that I think the following:

If Thai had 100% motorbikes then the road deaths would be less.

Yes , just like in Vietnam where we have 90% bikes and fewer cars. The roads in VIetnam are not built for speed , they do not have the big high ways like in Thailand , as you said , most deadly accidents are caused by speed. 

I do not have the statistics over deadly road accidents in Vietnam but I think it's safe to say it's far less victims over there.   

When you look at Hanoi city as an example , the traffic seems crazy at first , but there is a pattern among the bikers, they slow down and go with the flow. More dangerous for pedestrians , but that's another story . 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s not the scenario this guy is painting (from what I read from the op) when he says the bib will be held responsible for accidents. 

Perhaps because accidents, at a (properly set up) checkpoint that is operating as it should, should not happen... should not happen

Therefore, if they do, because of design of checkpoint, police location and action at checkpoint, (eg...senior officer not to allow police to grab at bike riders) vehicle obstruction etc etc, then the checkpoint is incompetently run, and some degree of negligence would be in evidence... perhaps even bribery

i think this is great.... the most proactive thing to emerge this summer... it’s a threat to make police accountable (even if its an empty threat.... it still discusses intent) , and until police are accountable, nothing will change

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Perhaps because accidents, at a (properly set up) checkpoint that is operating as it should, should not happen... should not happen

Therefore, if they do, because of design of checkpoint, police location and action at checkpoint, (eg...senior officer not to allow police to grab at bike riders) vehicle obstruction etc etc, then the checkpoint is incompetently run, and some degree of negligence would be in evidence... perhaps even bribery

i think this is great.... the most proactive thing to emerge this summer... it’s a threat to make police accountable (even if its an empty threat.... it still discusses intent) , and until police are accountable, nothing will change

The morons who drink and drive or drive like idiots are to blame for accidents. 

The bib don't force them to do either when they set out on their journey. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

The morons who drink and drive or drive like idiots are to blame for accidents. 

The bib don't force them to do either when they set out on their journey. 

Yes.... very very very true. But what can we do about these morons on the road? They are everywhere.... all over the world, and not just drink drivers.... what to do? What to do?

i know... employ a state run apparatus to apprehend and punish these morons... that should work.

Mmmm.... but how do we make this state apparatus accountable then?.... I know, we need to audit their efforts..... an internal investigations department to ensure transparency etc etc.....  that should do it

now... what to call this state run apparatus? How about a police force? Yer... that’ll work.

your off form blues.... next will be that the BiB didn’t force old somchai to opportunistically rape his 12 year old niece, so why should they be involved?

anything encouraging or enforcing accountability is a good thing.... especially so in this nations police department.... day in, day out, this would have to be one of this forums most common themes ( police not policing.... envelopes changing hands etc etc).... so accountability, now raised by the BiB, needs encouraging.

5 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Yes.... very very very true. But what can we do about these morons on the road? They are everywhere.... all over the world, and not just drink drivers.... what to do? What to do?

i know... employ a state run apparatus to apprehend and punish these morons... that should work.

Mmmm.... but how do we make this state apparatus accountable then?.... I know, we need to audit their efforts..... an internal investigations department to ensure transparency etc etc.....  that should do it

now... what to call this state run apparatus? How about a police force? Yer... that’ll work.

your off form blues.... next will be that the BiB didn’t force old somchai to opportunistically rape his 12 year old niece, so why should they be involved?

anything encouraging or enforcing accountability is a good thing.... especially so in this nations police department.... day in, day out, this would have to be one of this forums most common themes ( police not policing.... envelopes changing hands etc etc).... so accountability, now raised by the BiB, needs encouraging.

Don’t get me wrong, my contempt for the bib is as strong as ever. 

Its just in this case, as far as I can see is that the morons who cause crashes are to blame for them. 

The bib are a symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself. Their corruption, ineptitude and incompetence are clear, but that is because that’s how they are trained to be. 

That said, I won’t shed any tears if any are dismissed, but even if they are, the carnage on the roads will continue because of those driving on them. 

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t like, trust, respect or have anything positive to say about the bib, but how the **** can they be held responsible for road accidents that happen to occur near them?

So true ...avoidable accidents near their posts .  How that is their fault I can't imgine but I can see a few inactive posts coming.

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Currently in Udon Thani I have seen one checkpoint, operated by those wearing light brown, one reading a paper, one playing with his phone . Not even looking at the traffic , situation normal. Same as the last 15 years. so do not expect any change at all .

Duty calls my friend The cop on the phone is prob answering a crime scene call 

4 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Duty calls my friend The cop on the phone is prob answering a crime scene call 

On 12/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, webfact said:

'... Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha has asked that citizens drive carefully and ensure their own safely (sic) during the holiday ...'

It's not their own safety they, or he, need(s) to be concerned about; it's that of everyone else who might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Just came back from BKK to Cha Am.....a huge presence of cops, speed cameras and I'm guessing photo op officials at a massive road-block.....!

But.....they were set up monitoring traffic from the south..not from BKK.......and there's very little traffic from the south at new years!

14 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Just came back from BKK to Cha Am.....a huge presence of cops, speed cameras and I'm guessing photo op officials at a massive road-block.....!

But.....they were set up monitoring traffic from the south..not from BKK.......and there's very little traffic from the south at new years!

Did you score a bottle of Chicken Extract???

On 12/27/2017 at 3:39 PM, bluesofa said:

"Police at checkpoints may be punished over road accidents"

That means nothing will happen in reality. Just some spin to try and make out they're doing something.

Doing something?

More like doing nothing effective beyond booking folks who are obliging enough to stop....... Each checkpoint effectively ties up a dozen or two police officers, who could be out on the road helping to keep traffic moving one way and another, and booking moving violations.

Edited by Aj Mick

On 27/12/2017 at 3:15 PM, keith101 said:

I would have thought that being where a large number of accidents happen would be a deterrent to people driving with disregard for others and reduce accidents not cause them .

In Udon Thani on the ring road one police team were blamed and threatened with being sued after a number of accidents occured. They were harvesting red light jumpers at a major intersection but drivers roaring away after the lights changed were suddenly forced to brake and filter into one lane. 

33 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Just heard the news that 42 deaths in day one. Mostly drunk drivers,

seems that nobody is listening again this year.  Good luck for the rest

of this year and the next.

Geezer

Geezer why should they listen They have no respect for there police force and why should they? If i had my life over again i would want to be a funeral director in Thailand Business would be booming 100,000 baht per funeral and for that i even give a sad smile and oh poor guy or lady would not be dead if they were not drunk behind the wheel