Expat opening a bank account in Thailand

Money talks. I have twice opened savings accounts in Chiang Mai ( Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn ), using nothing but my passport and a 50,000 baht cash deposit. After transferring another 450,000 baht to the Kasikorn account, I was immediately offered a Visa debit card - yearly fee about 200 baht from memory. First time on a tourist visa, second time on a retirement visa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Wow great.

So, I am sure your friend can provide the location of that bank, the name of the bank and contact person who assisted him?

Thanks good to know.

I can also confirm you dont need a work permit. I just opened acct on a Tourist Visa and with Cert of Residence, 2 wks ago with Bangkok Bank (a block away from the Jomtien Immigration Office). 

Just go to the window and tell them you want to open an account. 

I swear i had to sign more damn papers then my last home sale transaction though. Truth be told a good number of them are US Reg compliance if your from US.

• Like 2

I opened an account at Krungsri (aka Bank of Ayuthaya) I call it the yellow bank using the Esplanade mall branch had no problems. No employees spoke much English and I had to complete some IRS documents. I had a Thai friend with me for translation and explanations. 

I have had no problems other than a few websites (spotify and joox) didn't accept their Visa card. Bitcoin transfers are quick using coins.co.th

Note: I have learned to wear long pants and button up shirts with formal shoes when doing business in the LOS. Especially immigration and banking

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, Neeranam said:

Bangkok bank, I only use short internet banking, and they give a card that can be used to buy things online.

They hold onto foreign transfers, so that they maker more money,  sometimes for months!

Does not match my experience with them at all.

When I made transfers from my UK account via their London branch, my BKKB account was usually credited with the requisite amount by around 09:00 on the next working day after I had initiated the transfer with my UK bank.

And since I have started using TransferWise, my BKKB account has always been credited around 14:00 on the same day as I receive the second confirmatory email from TransferWise (or the next working day thereafter if the day in question is not a working one).

Edited by OJAS

On 12/28/2017 at 1:04 PM, bkk6060 said:

Minor paperwork, but you will be asked questions on your tax return about foreign accounts.  

I never keep more then 5000 US in my account here.

this will also open you up for FBAR reporting (another 'branch' of the USA IRS)

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 3:50 PM, elviajero said:

My preference would be Bangkok Bank. But there's nothing stopping you opening both.

Never a bad idea to have a back-up account.  Cards get lost or swallowed by an ATM for some unknown reason.  Nice to have a backup safely tucked in a drawer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalnomadthailand said:

I found the folks at Thai Elite very helpful when i opened my Thai bank accounts, all very simple and quick and have 2 Thai bank accounts one with K-bank and another with SCB, in addtion to my Thailand Citigold account i already had...in no instance was a WP asked for...

How kind of them to do that for the 500, 000 b that was invested.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, Neeranam said:

They hold onto foreign transfers, so that they maker more money,  sometimes for months!

Every electronic payment to my Bangkok Bank account that originates from either the US or UK, Monday through Friday, posts to my Bangkok Bank account same-day. Without fail.

I initiate a US transfer to Thailand before 13:00 CST and it posts to my Bangkok bank account the following day around 13:00 local time.

I initiate a UK transfer to Thailand before 08:00 GMT and it posts to my Bangkok Bank account between 16:00 and 17.00 the same day local time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Every electronic payment to my Bangkok Bank account that originates from either the US or UK, Monday through Friday, posts to my Bangkok Bank account same-day. Without fail.

One issue with delay is if sending ACH - but due to the ACH-delay.  A wire-xfer would skip this.  I don't think the ACH-delay ever went past 3 business-days, though - then maybe one more to get here.

Edited by JackThompson

A quick update. I was able to open a savings account with Bangkok Bank with just my passport. I dropped back into their branch this past Friday to inquire about any other documents I might need other than the Affidavit of Residence notarized by the US Embassy... One platform representative recognized me from my prior visit and she asked to see my passport again. She then beckoned the new accounts rep over and insisted to her colleague that I could open a savings account here/now without any other documents. I could sense a bit of disagreement between the two. But the helpful rep was most persuasive and the other (a bit reluctantly I believe) relented and opened the account for me. I completed all of their new account forms including the requisite W-9 and deposited a few thousand baht in cash as an opening deposit. The new account rep then directed me to the App Store to download the Bangkok Bank app and adjusted settings w my iPhone for ease of use/longin. 

As someone posted earlier... I think it oft depends on who you are talking to and their inclination to help you or not. I've experience this scenario before in Thailand. Most often the default is not not think outside the box when it comes to policies (i.e. if there's is any doubt about the rules, they will most often say "no"). But it was very nice to experience this helpful attitude at Bangkok Bank ... certainly by the one platform person.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, idannyb said:

As someone posted earlier... I think it oft depends on who you are talking to and their inclination to help you or not. I've experience this scenario before in Thailand. Most often the default is not not think outside the box when it comes to policies (i.e. if there's is any doubt about the rules, they will most often say "no"). But it was very nice to experience this helpful attitude at Bangkok Bank ... certainly by the one platform person.

It often depends on the suitable training of staff to know the banks policy on opening different types of accounts for foreigners with regard to their Immigration status. I would assume you were issued a Union Pay debit card?

These are not widely accepted other than an ATM (as you may discover), but you can request a Visa debit card, which are available, but may have to be ordered.

• Like 1

I opened the account at Siam Paragon Branch ... I did not ask for a debit card although they offered ... I currently use my US bank Visa cards for ATM withdrawals ... although my GF strongly encouraged me to get the Bangkok Bank ATM card for ease of pay at BTS and their lower ATM withdrawal fees. She's usually right ... I will reconsider the debit card option once I move more funds into my Bangkok Bank account.

12 minutes ago, idannyb said:

I opened the account at Siam Paragon Branch ... I did not ask for a debit card although they offered ... I currently use my US bank Visa cards for ATM withdrawals ... although my GF strongly encouraged me to get the Bangkok Bank ATM card for ease of pay at BTS and their lower ATM withdrawal fees. She's usually right ... I will reconsider the debit card option once I move more funds into my Bangkok Bank account.

You have to pay a 220 baht fee every time you use your foreign ATM card in a Thai ATM (plus any extra fees/charges your foreign bank adds on). It's free with a Thai bank ATM Card.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, idannyb said:

Sounds goofy....

What is the point of opening an account and still using US card for ATM????

On 1/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, bkk6060 said:

Sounds goofy....

What is the point of opening an account and still using US card for ATM????

Not so goofy ... I will use my bank account to pay bills automatically ... rent, True mobile/TV/WiFi, Power, etc. But I will reconsider getting an ATM. Certainly the withdrawal fees will be lower.

8 hours ago, idannyb said:

Not so goofy ... I will use my bank account to pay bills automatically ... rent, True mobile/TV/WiFi, Power, etc. But I will reconsider getting an ATM. Certainly the withdrawal fees will be lower.

You are getting hit with the ATM fee plus, less of an exchange rate.

Just suggesting from personal experience to get the card.

But, if you always walk into a branch that may be fine for you.