No Win 10 laptops, why?

DrPhibes

So for Xmas, I'm looking for a gaming laptop for the gamer girl daughter.  However, everywhere I go (including official Dell store Airport Plaza) even the high end machines come with Ubuntu or DOS.  Did Microsoft blackball Thailand?

Edited by DrPhibes
Spelling
  • Haha 2

I suspect (but don't know) that this rather like the old DVD shops where they had empty boxes on display and you took the box to the cashier and were asked to wait 20 minutes while they (ahem) obtained one for you.

Have you asked the sales person at any of these stores? I further suspect that they will then offer you Windows at extra cost thereby avoiding being raided for selling illegal software. (Neither very basic  DOS nor Ubuntu require licences.)

Or...... just buy a DOS machine and install Windows  yourself from the 'net. Amazon sell genuine licences. I don't think I can tell you more on here :whistling:...Search and ye shall find 

1 minute ago, 55Jay said:

I bought a new desktop recently and noticed same thing.  Bought Win10 CD and loaded it myself, activated, legit.  Actually prefer it this way here in Thailand as the techs seems to load all sorts of unnecessary, dodgy garbage at the same time, unless you are very specific and/or stand there and watch them.

Plus you get to configure Windows the way you like it from the ground up. If I buy a PC in UK, I never buy anything preconfigured - they would put useless cr*p on it here too!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

I suspect (but don't know) that this rather like the old DVD shops where they had empty boxes on display and you took the box to the cashier and were asked to wait 20 minutes while they (ahem) obtained one for you.

Have you asked the sales person at any of these stores? I further suspect that they will then offer you Windows at extra cost thereby avoiding being raided for selling illegal software. (Neither very basic  DOS nor Ubuntu require licences.)

Or...... just buy a DOS machine and install Windows  yourself from the 'net. Amazon sell genuine licences. I don't think I can tell you more on here :whistling:...Search and ye shall find 

Apparently you have never bought a computer in Thailand.  Amazes me the old wives tales told by ....... No problem getting Real Windows on any computer in Thailand.  

thai comp1 .jpg

Edited by amvet
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, amvet said:

Apparently you have never bought a computer in Thailand.  Amazes me the old wives tales told by ....... No problem getting Real Windows on any computer in Thailand.  

thai comp1 .jpg

The OP is asking about PCs with only DOS or Ubuntu installed at the point of sale and the comments in this thread are aimed at advising him how to get Windows on his new PC.

My suggestions were how to obtain and install Windows -  either pay the shop and have them install it or elect to do it himself. Either way, the choice of "Real" Windows requires the paying of a licence to MS unless the shop puts an unlicensed copy on which I would not recommend. However, he could get a copy of Windows and then buy a licence.

The sticker you showed, may simply mean that the PC hardware / BIOS is certified to run Windows, but it's not yet installed.

So would you care to explain your comment? You appear to be advising the OP to run a completely unlicensed copy of Windows , surely not!

32 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Thanks guys, I guess my main beef is not only am I paying 40% more than the US for the same machine, I have to then buy Win10 and hassle with installing it then update all drivers and such.  Have been building my own desktops (personal and for my business) since MS-DOS 5.0.  Oh how I miss the hours of fun trying to install a new operating system 5-6 times before it would finally finish properly... Thanks for the input.

Like you, I've built PCs for home and business since DOS - how many floppy disks were needed for Windows 3.1??

Not sure if it helps, but I've installed and activated Win 10 Pro and Home on various old junk PCs like Dell Optiplex and Inspiron that were designed for Vista! The only one I where I've had driver issues was my Tosh Satellite supplied with Win 7 and where the Tosh Network drivers weren't happy with Win 10. (Tosh stopped supporting that Satellite before Win 10 was a current OS)

Oddly the standard  Qualcomm Wireless and Windows 10 BT drivers work fine - the WiFi is just a little slow to startup but once booted works as it should. I'm writing this post on it actually.

They are all now on the Fall Creators Update - no probs.

My point is, if you're buying a new PC with a recent MoBo, I doubt you'll have problems installing Windows 10. I take the point that it can be fiddly but as I said above you do end up with just the configuration you want.

As for the price difference between Thailand and US, well that I didn't know and cannot advise on - sorry.

Just a passing thought.......have you considered getting a Ubuntu one and dual-booting with Win 10? Now that CAN be tricky!

Edited by VBF

8 hours ago, VBF said:

The OP is asking about PCs with only DOS or Ubuntu installed at the point of sale and the comments in this thread are aimed at advising him how to get Windows on his new PC.

My suggestions were how to obtain and install Windows -  either pay the shop and have them install it or elect to do it himself. Either way, the choice of "Real" Windows requires the paying of a licence to MS unless the shop puts an unlicensed copy on which I would not recommend. However, he could get a copy of Windows and then buy a licence.

The sticker you showed, may simply mean that the PC hardware / BIOS is certified to run Windows, but it's not yet installed.

So would you care to explain your comment? You appear to be advising the OP to run a completely unlicensed copy of Windows , surely not!

No problem buying Windows pre installed on any computer laptop or otherwise in Thailand. Check with the largest sellers, Lazada, Invadeit or ..... I have purchased Dell, and Asus and Acer all with certified Windows pre installed.  I have never paid a license fee separate as Windows was included in the price.   My last purchase was a Dell that included Windows 7,8 and 10.  I got the Windows certified CD's (7 and 8) with the computer.  You can easily make a windows to go from the CD's if I want to run it on another computer.  I have dual boot options on all of my computers Windows and Linux.  Some days I feel like Windows and some days I don't. 

12 hours ago, VBF said:

I am not sure what i do wrong but I have had extreme difficulty buying Microsoft product -specifically Office - online. The only option I get funneled to when purchasing is Thai language interface and product. Been here 15 years and somethings have def changed in last couple. 

It has always been easier to buy illegal product -  faster and simpler. 

my friend just bought a new laptop in Tucom Pattaya,

of the 30 pcs in the shop only 2  were able to recieve a SSD disk ? The rest was all 

the old style hard disk (500/1000 mega B) None had windows installed , you can choose to buy an original win 10 for 4000bht or a free copy win 10.

None had the SSD disk installed ,it comes with an extra 3000bht.

1 year ago  , i bought mine ( HP Paladium laptop) here the SSD was installed (plus a 1 tera old harddisk) Also had to pay extra 4000 bht for the original win 10.

1year ago there was a lot more choise ,many laptops had SSD.It seems Tucom does not sell high products anymore ? I thought to find laptops with only SSD drives in them ,a 2 tera SSD would be ok?

12 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I bought a new desktop recently and noticed same thing.  Bought Win10 CD and loaded it myself, activated, legit.  Actually prefer it this way here in Thailand as the techs seems to load all sorts of unnecessary, dodgy garbage at the same time, unless you are very specific and/or stand there and watch them.

That's true including trojans and malware often!

Incredible. There was the same thread last week. Windows 10 is now free people. Microsoft gives it for free. We bought 3 new computers early this year and downloaded MS Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. We have been using the computers for one year now and they run perfectly including all updates. As an experiment, I bought one genuine MS Windows 10 Pro license for 500 Baht and installed it on one of the computers. The ONLY thing different on the one computer is that you can change the desktop from blue to another color - or add an image. That is the ONLY difference.

On the thread last week, the poster was not satisfied until he/she spent 4K Baht for Windows at a shop in C.M. The people at the shop must have had a good laugh (and a good dinner and drinks that night)!

12 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Incredible. There was the same thread last week. Windows 10 is now free people. Microsoft gives it for free. We bought 3 new computers early this year and downloaded MS Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft. We have been using the computers for one year now and they run perfectly including all updates. As an experiment, I bought one genuine MS Windows 10 Pro license for 500 Baht and installed it on one of the computers. The ONLY thing different on the one computer is that you can change the desktop from blue to another color - or add an image. That is the ONLY difference.

On the thread last week, the poster was not satisfied until he/she spent 4K Baht for Windows at a shop in C.M. The people at the shop must have had a good laugh (and a good dinner and drinks that night)!

Ouch....

12 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Thanks guys, I guess my main beef is not only am I paying 40% more than the US for the same machine, I have to then buy Win10 and hassle with installing it then update all drivers and such.  Have been building my own desktops (personal and for my business) since MS-DOS 5.0.  Oh how I miss the hours of fun trying to install a new operating system 5-6 times before it would finally finish properly... Thanks for the input.

I bought a new ACER laptop from Banana IT a few months ago...not a gaming machine... but good specs.. Came with Windows installed and ready to go... (licensed).. good price too.. not much different from Australian prices.. very happy with it.. 

27 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Incredible. There was the same thread last week. Windows 10 is now free people. Microsoft gives it for free.

AFAIK, Win 10 is a free upgrade for people who already have some existing, more recent version of Windows.

AFAIK, it's not free if all you're starting out with is a DOS or Ubuntu install.

You can download and install Win 10 for free, but in order to get it ACTIVATED and essentially unlocked by MS, you have to either buy a license or qualify for some kind of free upgrade.

The free upgrade offer, using a bit of a workaround as explained in the CNET article below, is apparently valid for current Windows 7 and 8.1 users until the end of 2017 -- just a few more days.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Yes, I bought a desktop and bought legit Windows 10, both from the same dealer. Installed it and registered with MS. Have received automatic updates from MS since then. No problem.

Don't know why the O/P is so bothered about having it pre-installed.

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

cost is 4000bht for a genuine Win 10

Just paid 3700 + 200 installation costs at Top Marketing system - two doors down from CM Computer Plaza going towards Tha Pae gate - it's got a big HP flag outside. They are inside Computer Plaza as well in the back left-hand corner ground floor.

My laptop was still running Vista (32 bit) and I couldn't use the DVD I bought and nothing was working or upgradable - but the hardware would support 64 bit Win 10 so they blasted it on for me, preserving all my applications and desktop config. Did it overnight and they were very friendly and helpful.

• Haha 1