Three more illegal tour guides arrested in Phuket blitz

webfact

Three more illegal tour guides arrested in Phuket blitz

“The search will continue at tourism attractions across Phuket to crackdown on any tour guides working illegally that takes away the career of the legal Thai national tour guides.”

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

89473.jpg

Three more Chinese-speaking illegal tour guides have been arrested yesterday (December 27) and the day before following the illegal tour guide crackdown initiated by Phuket’s Governor.

Yesterday in Soi Sakdidech, in Phuket Town, a team of Phuket provincial authorities along with representatives of Royal Thai Navy Area 3, Provincial Internal Security Operations Command and Volunteer Defense Corps checked a Chinese tour bus in front of a Thai buffet restaurant and found 42 year old Chinese, Qiu Qiang, working illegally as a tour guide and 21 year old Jenjira Sealoh, who is a Thai national tour guide. Police claim the Thai tour guide allowed the non-licensed tour guide to work on her behalf. Both were sent to the Phuket Police Station.

Full story:  https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/phuket/three-illegal-tour-guides-arrested-phuket-blitz

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-12-28

To me this asks the question as to why the Thai tour guide would want the Chinese to work on their behalf.

In theory I understand it is a job for Thais, but if they can't communicate with the tour group what is the point?

At least they are not just targetting foreigners.

On December 26, the team together with tourist police, checked the tourism destinations and found an illegal tour guide at Rawai Pier. 24 year old Awei Saewang, from Chiang Mai

I suppose that makes it fair.

I will have to reconsider whether I should be driving and showing friends around the area. :post-4641-1156693976:

As I said before, this is no more than paying lip-service to the few Thai guides that complained. Probably targeting just one or two companies as well. They could quite easily find a couple of hundred unlicensed Chinese guides if they really wanted to.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

To me this asks the question as to why the Thai tour guide would want the Chinese to work on their behalf.

In theory I understand it is a job for Thais, but if they can't communicate with the tour group what is the point?

Given that a big slice of the Thai nationals are Thai/Chinese ethnic, you would think that plenty Thai do speak Mandarin or Cantonese.