Schoolboy, 8, hands in 40,000 baht at Tesco Lotus - and he's happy with 20 baht reward!

webfact

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

What sort of crap post is this?

The THAI is being brought up perfectly !

He found someone elses property and  he did the right thing. And so did the staff announcing that the lost property had been found. ( I bet you wished they kept it ...)

Theres only one thing contemptible here ... and its the falang insisting that there is ALWAYS something wrong with Thais ... and going on and < deleted> on how dishonest they are ...

AND then advocating the kid, clearly not expecting anything ,  should not be honest next time !

My god what a pitiful bunch is  much of this  TV  cesspit.

If you cant see that the kid did the truly right thing , and  what  he did  is  what every society would love to see its children do  , then its easy. Just go home... must be much better there with your  national morality Im sure ...

A bit harsh, but i agree on the principle.

For honest people, being honest it's a reward in itself.

The only chance for any society to survive, is the majority of the people to be honest.

That said, 20 Baht seems a bit too tight, not even enough for a ice-cream cone.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

What sort of crap post is this?

The THAI is being brought up perfectly !

He found someone elses property and  he did the right thing. And so did the staff announcing that the lost property had been found. ( I bet you wished they kept it ...)

Theres only one thing contemptible here ... and its the falang insisting that there is ALWAYS something wrong with Thais ... and going on and < deleted> on how dishonest they are ...

AND then advocating the kid, clearly not expecting anything ,  should not be honest next time !

My god what a pitiful bunch is  much of this  TV  cesspit.

If you cant see that the kid did the truly right thing , and  what  he did  is  what every society would love to see its children do  , then its easy. Just go home... must be much better there with your  national morality Im sure ...

I can see your point, but the kid deserved some decent reward for his honesty and encouragement to keep his integrity.

:sad:

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Disgraceful.

I know a reward is  the choice of the person to whom the money was returned, but it would have been better not to give a reward, than insult him with 20 baht.

I would have told them to stick it.......................... (you know the rest !). 

He wasn't insulted, that's the point, he was happy with his reward.

15 hours ago, johncat1 said:

If I lived near this honest boy I would gladly give him 500 Baht out of my own pocket and give this mean individual a piece of my mind

What does living near him have to do with it?  There's enough information available to track him down if you really meant it.  Name, school, where it happened, Facebook of the shop inside Tesco.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I can see your point, but the kid deserved some decent reward for his honesty and encouragement to keep his integrity.

:sad:

The point is really that honesty in all things is what is required of everybody and at all times.

There need be no reward for doing the right thing.

Otherwise, is honesty only a gamble at the maximum you can legally get out of being honest?

Leave the lad alone.

EDIT

Actually, honesty in relationships would be a good start to a Brave New World?

You know, honest police men, honest politicians, honest figures in positions of authority, honest public?....

Edited by laislica

Thailand Civil and Commercial code.

Section 1324. A finder of lost property may claim from the person entitled to receive it a reward of ten per cent of the value of the property up to thirty thousand baht, and five per cent on the additional value. However, if he delivers the property to the police or other competent official, two and a half per cent of the value of the property shall, in addition to the reward, be paid as a fee to the Government service concerned, but, in no case, shall such fee exceed one thousand baht.

22 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Very lucky an adult shopper or even a member of staff didn't find it and pocket it instead of an honest kid

Personally, I wouldn't mind if some adult shopper or a member of the staff had found the wallet of that "cheap Charlie" and kept everything for himself.

The owner of the wallet should have his name plastered all over the news.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:23 AM, johncat1 said:

If I lived near this honest boy I would gladly give him 500 Baht out of my own pocket and give this mean individual a piece of my mind

if the story is true and i have doubts that young boy  is a saint in the making and the owner of the wallet should have a coconut cart run over him the back up and do again ....

18 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

i'm glad the young boy doesn't read this forum. he did the right thing and that is reward in itself. people that need to be rewarded for being honest are missing something. it's kind of like doing good deeds but expecting recognition. doing the right thing and always acting honestly makes me feel good - i don't require rewards for my actions.

that is you .... not a young boy , please do not conflate the two . yikes 

2 hours ago, Celer et Audax said:
On 12/29/2017 at 9:48 AM, malibukid said:
i tip 20%, i hear the English never tip?

I’m English and I always tip and on many occasions have been told by my gf that I give too much so please keep your sweeping generalisations about the English or any other people to your self
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A little history here.

Tipping was originally done Before an event: To Insure Prompt Service Tips.

At a restaurant, there used to be a box, as you entered,  with Tips written on it.

The louder and longer the noise of your coins falling into the box, the better service you got.

However, this became corrupted by some greedy owners and they cut the servers wages, because they could make it up with Tips!

So, in those countries, some workers are not paid a fair wage and they rely on tips from the customers they serve.

So generally, people from fair wage countries do not need to tip to make up someone's wages.

They would tip if they receive exceptional service.

But, people from countries where to tip is part of the price would, generally expect to give a tip and this can result in over tipping in some situations.

This could give rise to people from countries who have to tip, to think that people from countries that don't have to tip, are mean and tight fisted.

By the same token, some are seen as over tippers.

In the case of this lad finding and correctly returning the lost cash, I would also have expected that a grateful owner of the cash would have been more generous, but he wasn't.

In fact, nothing much is known abuot the Looser.

Perhaps the cash was to pay off a loan shark and he simply couldn't afford more?

Who knows?

That the lad did the right thing and was happy is enough, but to suggest that in future he should steal instead of returning the cash disgusts me!

8 hours ago, Celer et Audax said:

I’m English and I always tip and on many occasions have been told by my gf that I give too much so please keep your sweeping generalisations about the English or any other people to your self
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Outside  'murica, we pay our staff so customers don't have to wonder how much tip is appropriate .... 

It works very well.... 

On 12/30/2017 at 2:40 AM, laislica said:

The point is really that honesty in all things is what is required of everybody and at all times.

There need be no reward for doing the right thing.

Otherwise, is honesty only a gamble at the maximum you can legally get out of being honest?

Leave the lad alone.

EDIT

Actually, honesty in relationships would be a good start to a Brave New World?

You know, honest police men, honest politicians, honest figures in positions of authority, honest public?....

He did this with no expectation of reward, and seemed happy with his 20 baht.

But if you think giving him something significant as a reward will not encourage him to shun the intrinsic corruption in the country will not help the next generation of police, politicians and the rest to better behaviour I disagree.

At 8 years old he should be taught being honest pays off in the end. 20 baht is no encouragement and he could get ridiculed at school for not keeping some of the money and dumping the wallet...

Maybe we do not have the full story here. Maybe the "customer" who left 40k was a shop owner and the money was on its way to the bank and he could not touch that money . Maybe he only had 20 baht in his pocket and gave the kid ? 

Or maybe not. 

14 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

He did this with no expectation of reward, and seemed happy with his 20 baht.

But if you think giving him something significant as a reward will not encourage him to shun the intrinsic corruption in the country will not help the next generation of police, politicians and the rest to better behaviour I disagree.

At 8 years old he should be taught being honest pays off in the end. 20 baht is no encouragement and he could get ridiculed at school for not keeping some of the money and dumping the wallet...

You have an interesting point.

However, as we read in another thread, giving money to beggers simply encourages begging, whislt giving food or clothing simply helps.

If honesty is always given a big reward, IMHO, that simply means that Honesty always requires a big reward..... (custom and practice)

The reward, IMHO, should be praise and thanks and possibly, a small token of gratitude.....

The reward should not be linked to a percentage of the potential loss.

Just sayin.

8 hours ago, laislica said:

You have an interesting point.

However, as we read in another thread, giving money to beggers simply encourages begging, whislt giving food or clothing simply helps.

If honesty is always given a big reward, IMHO, that simply means that Honesty always requires a big reward..... (custom and practice)

The reward, IMHO, should be praise and thanks and possibly, a small token of gratitude.....

The reward should not be linked to a percentage of the potential loss.

Just sayin.

We are mostly of the same opinion, just the value of the reward.

20 baht is a bag of crisps, not much even to an 8 year old.

200 might have got him a toy, or 500+ a nice toy he would appreciate, cherish and remember it was given for his good deed.

i've read a few comments on here and thought i'd add my 20 bahts worth. there's a chance the person who owned the wallet was skint themselves and owed that money by way of bills or something. sure the kid did good and i would have given him 1000 baht but i don't know the owners situation so hard to judge. as for some saying wealthy thais don't give to charity, then maybe go to a chambers charity dinner and see how much they give. happy new year. and well done boy. your parents and teachers should be proud

Is it at all possible that the ฿40,000 did not belong to the person that owned the wallet?

My friend frequently carries her employers money in her purse to deposit in the bank.

The ฿20 may have been all the person had of their own money. Just a possibility. 

No matter what the reward was, The young man will be rewarded good karma. As I seriously doubt the good deed was done for a reward.

I find most Thais are this honest. 

On 29/12/2017 at 12:33 PM, speedtripler said:

You lose 40k in a public place in a third world country normally you can kiss it goodbye..... 

Even 0.5% reward would seem stingy to me when the likely  alternative is losing 100%

Completely agree, I would of given him 5000b no questions, as far as I'm concerned you'd still be 35,000b up