Red Horse Beer

wgdanson

There is an interesting background story to Red Horse. It was originally brewed by San Mig in the Philippines to get the beer market back from low cost Gin suppliers, e,g Ginebra.

when first introduced, its alcohol strength was almost 10%, but over the years that was reduced to 8%. The Thai version was further reduced to 6%.

My first taste and smell of the original, left me feeling repugnant as one could literally taste and smell the strong alcohol. The 8% was a lot gentler on the palate, whilst the Thai 6% version is quite a pleasant beer, but I would only drink it at home due to its strength.

I am in the Phils at the moment and it is widely available. Not many drink it here though (opting for the San Mig Light or Pilsen) i think mainly because it is just too strong ! San Mig also do a (Super Dry) which i like but i am not sure if it is available in Thailand

Edited by Gruff

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

cats piss as the price suggests 

quite like it but would prefer the Phil original.

Not able to say if it tastes like cats piss though as I have never had that so bow to your experience.

Yes, is a pretty good beer, along with Archa, good meaty taste holds a nice head, all in all, I rank it very highly. you may also find the CHEERS range of beers to your liking too, try the Riceberry and the Orange, RED and blue also good. The Orange is a pleasant dinner ale, not I would think a session beer, but it is very refreshing.  As for Chang, Leo and Singa, I find too sweet too filling and very Generic in stye and taste.For those that Like VB or John Smiths  may disagree. How ever only my thoughts. Riceberry in flavour is similar to SFOs Anchor Steam in taste and colour. rather enj

oyable.

43 minutes ago, BORRISGOODENUF said:

Riceberry in flavour is similar to SFOs Anchor Steam in taste and colour. rather enjoyable.

How long have you been away from the bay area and San Francisco?   They are not similar at all, Anchor is not by any means a sweet beer, it is quite malty.

2 hours ago, GLewis said:

How long have you been away from the bay area and San Francisco?   They are not similar at all, Anchor is not by any means a sweet beer, it is quite malty.

The poster may be confusing the SFO Anchor (now owned by Sapporo of Japan) to the Singapore Anchor brewed by Asia Pacific Brewery 

4 hours ago, BORRISGOODENUF said:

Yes, is a pretty good beer, along with Archa, good meaty taste holds a nice head, all in all, I rank it very highly. you may also find the CHEERS range of beers to your liking too, try the Riceberry and the Orange, RED and blue also good. The Orange is a pleasant dinner ale, not I would think a session beer, but it is very refreshing.  As for Chang, Leo and Singa, I find too sweet too filling and very Generic in stye and taste.For those that Like VB or John Smiths  may disagree. How ever only my thoughts. Riceberry in flavour is similar to SFOs Anchor Steam in taste and colour. rather enj

oyable.

I drink Cheers Riceberry. Its a bit wacky but its different. The orange mix is a hit on sweaty days. To the OP I think red horse has been mucked around a bit. I drank one last week I did not enjoy but nothing wrong with it IMHO.

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Discussing and comparing different beers in Thailand.I remember the'good old days' ,when Thailand had only 2 brands:Singha and Kloster

How the times have changed.

Wait, during thise times they also had Amarit..........

14 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

So which beers in Thailand would you recommend please?

I really think Tiger is the best tasting beer ...  then  :

Cheers -   Blue can

Singha Beer

Beer Lao is ok

Carlsberg

Then probably Leo, Heineken and Chang if nothing else available.

On 12/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, DipStick said:

There is an interesting background story to Red Horse. It was originally brewed by San Mig in the Philippines to get the beer market back from low cost Gin suppliers, e,g Ginebra.

when first introduced, its alcohol strength was almost 10%, but over the years that was reduced to 8%. The Thai version was further reduced to 6%.

My first taste and smell of the original, left me feeling repugnant as one could literally taste and smell the strong alcohol. The 8% was a lot gentler on the palate, whilst the Thai 6% version is quite a pleasant beer, but I would only drink it at home due to its strength.

Ginebra is San Miguel. so, I doubt they were worried about the quatro cantos taking their profits. However, San Miguel did develop Red Horse for the stronger beer palates.

16 hours ago, Gruff said:

I am in the Phils at the moment and it is widely available. Not many drink it here though (opting for the San Mig Light or Pilsen) i think mainly because it is just too strong ! San Mig also do a (Super Dry) which i like but i am not sure if it is available in Thailand

You must not have met my in-laws and their barrio-mates. Red Horse is their beer of choice, as it is in most barrios I have visited. I remember in the early eighties when Red Horse was introduced; I bought several cases of it for my wife's grandfather's tapos. It quickly became a favorite.  San Miguel specifically markets Red Horse to the lower socio-economic classes with this cheap, but strong, beer.

14 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Discussing and comparing different beers in Thailand.I remember the'good old days' ,when Thailand had only 2 brands:Singha and Kloster

How the times have changed.

Good recent days you mean, ever hear of Amarit beer?

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:08 AM, DipStick said:

I first tasted Red Horse back in the late 80s in Yokosuka or Yokohama (can't remember which). It was NY eve, me and a few buddies rented a small hotel room, picked up a few boxes of RH and were planning on hitting the local clubs. Not sure what the alcohol % was back then, but I vaguely remember being carried back to our hotel room. :partytime2:

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

You must not have met my in-laws and their barrio-mates. Red Horse is their beer of choice, as it is in most barrios I have visited. I remember in the early eighties when Red Horse was introduced; I bought several cases of it for my wife's grandfather's tapos. It quickly became a favorite.  San Miguel specifically markets Red Horse to the lower socio-economic classes with this cheap, but strong, beer.

Yes admittedly i should have said not many expats or tourists drink it

I tried Cheers blue can lager......not so good. Cheers Riceberry.......good. I'm switching from Chang to Riceberry, so thanks for the posters who suggested that.

In case the Thai beer bashers come....I grew up in the PNW, home of a thousand craft beers. My Riceberry taste is based on what is available in Thailand for a reasonable price.