Phuket to Bangkok bus crashes, one monk dead, 20 injured

rooster59

Phuket to Bangkok bus crashes, one monk dead, 20 injured

The Phuket News

1514703229_1-org.jpg

The bus came to rest in a ditch dividing the north and southbound roads. Photo: Sawang Ratsatahthamatsatan Rescue

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: A bus travelling from Phuket to Bangkok crashed in the early hours of this morning (Dec 31), killing one monk and leaving 20 injured.

The accident occurred as the bus was travelling north at kilometre 390 of Phet Kasem Rd in Ron Thong, Ban Saphan District in Prachup Khiri Khan at about 3:15am this morning.

The bus crashed and overturned in a ditch dividing the north and southbound roads. Police suspect that the driver may have fallen asleep, but say they are continuing their investigation.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-to-bangkok-bus-crashes-one-monk-dead-20-injured-65362.php#hfkgSZSWhlA3T2DW.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-31

Another sleeping driver,like i said about the last one,have his

assistant sit behind him and give him a whack on the head

every ten minutes to make sure he does no nod off,but there

is a flaw, they could both fall asleep.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

"but there is a flaw" - yes, that flaw is, a whack on the head would not be enough to stop the driver from sleeping. 

How many lives would be saved in Thailand if driving a heavy vehicle WAS NOT an occupation reserved for Thai's????

Edited by NamKangMan

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If you fall asleep while driving it means you are not concentrating on your job. People who are concentrating do not fall asleep. Ever.

"People who are concentrating do not fall asleep. Ever" - really????

You can only force someone to "concentrate" for so long, before the body gives up.

Maybe he simply changed what he was concentrating on. 

He was concentrating on driving, and then decided to concentrate on sleeping.  :smile:

It is a single vehicle accident that has involved the bus running off the road. The bus has not overturned as claimed but it would have been a rough ride when the bus left the road with a sudden leaning to the right as it entered the centre ditch and everything being thrown to the right then back to the centre, then to the left until the bus came to rest on its left side against the bank of the ditch.

28 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Time to place a curfew on van and bus travel between sunset (7pm?) and sunrise (6am?)?

Rubbish. Most countries have overnight bus travel and it is no more dangerous than daytime travel as long as the driver is in a fit condition to carry out his duties. Countries like Australia overnight buses cover a greater distance than they do in Thailand and it is done with 1 driver. Example: Sydney to Melbourne a distance of around 950 kilometres and time wise takes around 12 hours with 2x30 minute breaks and this is done by 1 driver

I believe the term "overturned" is correct here.

Dictionaries define the word as meaning to flip over or on to its side. To capsize.

I don't think a vehicle has to roll on to it's roof and beyond to fit the definition.

Others may have a different opinion.

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I believe the term "overturned" is correct here.

Dictionaries define the word as meaning to flip over or on to its side. To capsize.

I don't think a vehicle has to roll on to it's roof and beyond to fit the definition.

Others may have a different opinion.

Oh, yes, we must be politically correct and check the dictionary

23 hours ago, 473geo said:

Bus has been pulled upright on the far side of the V shaped ditch

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

rrt.JPG

Ok , when I correct the brightness , I can see a crane . Still don't know what it crashed on.

1514703229_1-org.jpg.e8f0f0eaf55be9238918d041f0e7f93d.jpg.3b1cd59ee39cb3e030a404f701bf9b3b.jpg

My Lady recently travelled on the night bus from Phuket to Bangkok for a family funeral.

I tried hard to convince her to use one of the frequent commuter flights, to no avail.

I've shown her this article, maybe next time she will see the commonsense of flying.

I always give my family the advice to use the seat belts and sit between the front and back wheels/axles. They will also not travel at night if possible, their own decision. In fact my son decided not to go on school trip as the bus was travelling overnight and there had been a recent accident. Must have got his good sense from his mother :smile:

On 12/31/2017 at 5:22 PM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Change the minutes to seconds.     !!

After that  it's  all up to Buddah (sp)

There are many on these roads who do not understand that having a good nights sleep before the job is a necessity for a safe arrival.

From barking dogs to crazy loud music to phone calls being answered in the dead of night. Sporadic sleep, if any, is common!