I was the victim of ATM fraud

watcharacters

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

There is a fraud report in the makings.   Again  committing any crime during  a serious holiday  period is a positive thing  for a criminal.

I'm not sure if I made this clear or not.     I used   a TMB ATM nearly two years ago (1-8-16).    I have had  no other association or contact  with the bank since then  until this fraudulent withdrawal took place.    I'll call my  US bank tonight and hope I can reach the man who is  assigned my case.

Sidebar comment - Some US banks, 2 of mine in particular, are very sensitive to clients who live outside the US.  Of course you don't have any choice but to pursue a fraud report with your US Bank in this case but I would be mindful about potential, unintended consequences.   I've had two brushes with this in the past, the last, most recent one, being when I locked myself out of on-line login and had to call them to get it reset.

3 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Sidebar comment - Some US banks, 2 of mine in particular, are very sensitive to clients who live outside the US.  Of course you don't have any choice but to pursue a fraud report with your US Bank in this case but I would be mindful about potential, unintended consequences.   I've had two brushes with this in the past, the last, most recent one, being when I locked myself out of on-line login and had to call them to get it reset.

Thanks,   

I've been with the bank/brokerage house  a long time and have made no secret about my location.   So far so good and I'm  100% satisfied with their customer service.

I anticipate receiving my replacement cards today and for some strange reason, they sent each card in its own FedEx package.       They picked up the cost so I'm not concerned about having two separate deliveries

On 12/31/2017 at 1:33 PM, Rc2702 said:

I think your being technical in terms.

Skimming can happen by walking past someone and using a device to digitally steal data. An rfid wallet or card is built to protect against that.

The skimming term you speak of is more aligned to the card skimming practice as done at an ATM. 

Skimmers are not only for atms. 

Without the pin you can still rack up purchases onlìme. 

Most online transactions ask for the 3 digit security code which isn't recorded on the chip.

Just now, watcharacters said:

Thanks,   

I've been with the bank/brokerage house  a long time and have made no secret about my location.   So far so good and I'm  100% satisfied with their customer service.

I anticipate receiving my replacement cards today and for some strange reason, they sent each card in its own FedEx package.       They picked up the cost so I'm not concerned about having two separate deliveries

Roger that. 

If it has not been already mentioned, there's a smart phone free app called "Skimmer Scanner"will tell if there are any bluetooth gadgets fitted, which apparently these things mostly use have tried it a couple of ATM machines which came up clear, i am no expert so can't say it this would have been any help to the opener, maybe somebody has more experience of this app.!  

Edited by maxcorrigan
spelling

If it has not been already mentioned, there's a smart phone free app called "Skimmer Scanner"will tell if there are any bluetooth gadgets fitted, which apparently these things mostly use have tried it a couple of ATM machines which came up clear, i am no expert so can't say it this would have been any help to the opener, maybe somebody has more experience of this app.!  

I googled it and it seems there isn’t an iPhone version of this app yet which is a shame .
Thanks for the info though .