I was the victim of ATM fraud

watcharacters

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Which bank was that?

KrungThai.  I left the card in a ATM once and walked out of a restaurant the second time without waiting for the waitress to return it. The restaurant saved the card for me but the one in the ATM gave someone a nice weekend in Pattaya judging from all the charges they rang up. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banks do not readily reimburse for ATM fraud here...

To limit my potential loss I have two accounts with my bank... one where my monthly wire transfers are deposited and emergency fund is kept - this accounts ATM card is never used and in my safe... I then have a second account with an ATM Visa card for regular use... this account I put no more than 20,000 baht in by free transfers from my other account... this is easily done by my banks App on my phone. I also receive texts of all withdrawals and Visa charges...

4 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

You say they withdrew 30,000 twice?... I did not know that 30,000 at one time was possible?... I thought the ATM limit was 20,000 a time... Or do you have it set higher and if so who knows you have a higher limit of withdrawal?...

OP's since responded.  TMB ATM= 30k each pull, up to his card's daily limit, which he said was $2,000. 

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I know the chances of the thief being caught are between the proverbial slim and none,  but I want to do whatever I can to prevent that person (s) from doing a repeat to   me or someone else.

Think I'd leave the crime busting to the cops and bankers and focus on getting my funds reimbursed. If it's a US card with a Visa stamp on it  you have a very good chance of getting some reimbursement.

12 hours ago, Sapporillo said:

I have a service enabled that sends me a text message immediately after a cash withdrawal or a purchase with a card reader, and it works really well, the message arrives every time within a minute. Of course this doesn't protect against anything, but at least I would know very quickly if someone had cloned my card and was out shopping with it. It's not cheap (50cents/message), but it gives me peace of mind, I can recommend it. 

I have that service on the Thai bank I use but  it's not available with my USA bank.     In fact, the US bank will only call me for verification when I request a money transfer.     They will accept a fax from me but will never send one even after I offered to cover the cost of doing so.

I wonder if anyone has a foreign bank (home country) card that offers a text notice upon a withdrawal?

But I still wonder about the use of such a service inasmuch as  it offers "after the fact information".    i.e.   I just received notice a guy who withdrew 30k baht from my account is on the songthaew driving down the street away from the ATM he just robbed.     :smile:

1 minute ago, sfokevin said:

Banks do not readily reimburse for ATM fraud here...

To limit my potential loss I have two accounts with my bank... one where my monthly wire transfers are deposited and emergency fund is kept - this accounts ATM card is never used and in my safe... I then have a second account with an ATM Visa card for regular use... this account I put no more than 20,000 baht in by free transfers from my other account... this is easily done by my banks App on my phone. I also receive texts of all withdrawals and Visa charges...

Nice. :thumbsup:   I do the same with BKK Bank, except the main account has no ATM card assigned to it.   The other account is joint with ATM cards, but I keep less than 100 Baht in it, only transfer what we need as/when required. 

Same thing with the Krungsi accounts.  

19 minutes ago, Meljames said:
29 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I know the chances of the thief being caught are between the proverbial slim and none,  but I want to do whatever I can to prevent that person (s) from doing a repeat to   me or someone else.

Think I'd leave the crime busting to the cops and bankers and focus on getting my funds reimbursed. If it's a US card with a Visa stamp on it  you have a very good chance of getting some reimbursement.

Crime busting, sure.  But it would be handy to know if the culprit is someone you know. 

This time, they used your credit card without your permission.  Maybe next time, they'll sell your car...

Edited by impulse

I had my Halifax card cloned/skimmed 99% from a Kasikorn ATM in 2015 opposite Alcazar. Because i deliberately only ever keep £100 on the account linked to card thats all they managed to get (before atm use I transfer across xyz from another account not linked to card)

Card was supposedly used back in uk for two purchases whilst I was still in Thailand. Halifax no quibble refunded the money within 48 hours

Message simple dont keep bundles in an account linked to a card as it can happen anywhere. Transfer in couple minutes before use

50 minutes ago, Meljames said:

I appreciate and understand what you're saying but after reporting this to the proper  authorities, I  realize it is a pure file 13 matter to all involved.

I walked into one police station to find it empty except for one officer who  had his head tilted back with his mouth open.    

I liked that officer but he finally told me I needed to go to a different station.

I went to the station he directed  me to  and an attractive and nice officer  told me to go the the bank branch to ask for the ATM photos.    

In less than a heartbeat, Meljames, I would stake your life on the response of the bank to me just walking in and requesting photos.    I even told the officer I know the bank will simply shine me on.    She countered by giving me her phone number and saying call me  from the branch and I'll talk with the bank.   

45 minutes of my life were spent to hear the bank lady say I needed a police report.     I will mention  the lady I spoke with started to help me by jumping my case in front of the lady she was helping and I said I don't want to butt in ahead of others.     I could have saved time by doing that but it wouldn't  have been the right thing to do.  When I said  to the bank lady, when it was my correct turn, she can talk with the police officer,  she then said "the report must have the police stamp on it.

Back to the station  for the report.      Again the police were very friendly and respectful.     

I went through the police report process and there was no charge  for the report  which I fully expected.

Back to the bank and  I was starting to get the feeling from them  that I was the perpetrator  rather than the victim.     It's too complicated to easily and clearly explain but  since there's been reference in this thread about the bank  ATM reimbursing, maybe they thought I was hoping to get the TMB bank to shell out the loss to me.      That never even entered my mind.

The last thing in the world the police would do, I'm convinced,  is to request and view a photo of whomever withdrew baht from my account.    It could be anybody including  a  waitress of a place  where I often eat.

I'm not looking for a law enforcement job or really to even do their job.   But knowing what I know about how this crime works, I am willing to go to the next step,  whatever  that is.

I still want to know what Peterw42 was doing on the date of December 26,2017...

Edited by watcharacters

35 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I appreciate and understand what you're saying but after reporting this to the proper  authorities, I  realize it is a pure file 13 matter to all involved.

I walked into one police station to find it empty except for one officer who  had his head tilted back with his mouth open.    

I liked that officer but he finally told me I needed to go to a different station.

I went to the station he directed  me to  and an attractive and nice officer  told me to go the the bank branch to ask for the ATM photos.    

In less than a heartbeat, Meljames, I would stake your life on the response of the bank to me just walking in and requesting photos.    I even told the officer I know the bank will simply shine me on.    She countered by giving me her phone number and saying call me  from the branch and I'll talk with the bank.   

45 minutes of my life were spent to hear the bank lady say I needed a police report.     I will mention  the lady I spoke with started to help me by jumping my case in front of the lady she was helping and I said I don't want to butt in ahead of others.     I could have saved time by doing that but it wouldn't  have been the right thing to do.  When I said  to the bank lady, when it was my correct turn, she can talk with the police officer,  she then said "the report must have the police stamp on it.

Back to the station  for the report.      Again the police were very friendly and respectful.     

I went through the police report process and there was no charge  for the report  which I fully expected.

Back to the bank and  I was starting to get the feeling from them  that I was the perpetrator  rather than the victim.     It's too complicated to easily and clearly explain but  since there's been reference in this thread about the bank  ATM reimbursing, maybe they thought I was hoping to get the TMB bank to shell out the loss to me.      That never even entered my mind.

The last thing in the world the police would do, I'm convinced,  is to request and view a photo of whomever withdrew baht from my account.    It could be anybody including  a  waitress of a place  where I often eat.

I'm not looking for a law enforcement job or really to even do their job.   But knowing what I know about how this crime works, I am willing to go to the next step,  whatever  that is.

I still want to know what Peterw42 was doing on the date of December 26,2017...

You'll get absolutely nowhere buddy am afraid to say you 'll go around in circles until you realise it and walk away.

My previous post is the only way you and others wont get rammed

33 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

The police aren't the proper authorities for getting your funds reenstated. The best they could do is arrest someone.

You need to contact the bank that issued the card ASAP and let them handle it.  I'd bet money on you getting some if not all your lost money back.

2 minutes ago, Meljames said:

The police aren't the proper authorities for getting your funds reenstated. The best they could do is arrest someone.

You need to contact the bank that issued the card ASAP and let them handle it.  I'd bet money on you getting some if not all your lost money back.

Sorry Meljames.   There's always a time lag.    First thing I did was report to my bank.    I think reported above the steps I took after that.

Anyway, the question was if anyone had gone through the police/bank process to secure ATM CCTV footage.  I for one am interested to hear how that pans out beyond what you've already done so far.  And hope your US bank reimburses the funds. 

Don't mind me asking, which US bank?

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

I had my Halifax card cloned/skimmed 99% from a Kasikorn ATM in 2015 opposite Alcazar. Because i deliberately only ever keep £100 on the account linked to card thats all they managed to get (before atm use I transfer across xyz from another account not linked to card)

Card was supposedly used back in uk for two purchases whilst I was still in Thailand. Halifax no quibble refunded the money within 48 hours

Message simple dont keep bundles in an account linked to a card as it can happen anywhere. Transfer in couple minutes before use

Halifax is a terribly expensive bank to use here (assuming it's a debit card).

They charge a spread on the FX rate, and a foreign currency usage fee.

I have a Nationwide card that I used in Thailand simply because they used to have no foreign exchange fee. They do now, but they're still cheaper than Halifax.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:24 PM, OJAS said:

Happened to me twice with separate accounts, firstly with Krung Thai and then with Kasikorn in 2009 - the amount involved was 20,000 THB on each occasion. This led to my decision not to have any cards with my present Bangkok Bank account. Each time I need cash I make a transfer to the wife's account and send her down to the ATM to obtain it for me.

Yes.  Same here.

I keep all big cash in accounts with no cards attached. Then with online banking can move funds to my atm card attached accounts and then go withdrawl cash needed. Risk exposure never exceds 25,000 Baht for a week or 2

Although I've never seen a physical skimmer I've gotten into the habit of grabbing the card slot on the ATM to see if it's loose.  I also always cover the keypad when entering my PIN.  Additionally, I always use RFID shielding when in my pocket.  Call me overly cautious if you want, but to date the only card issues I've had came from using my card online, and the card issuer refunded my money when the fraud was reported.

33 minutes ago, Coyoti said:

Although I've never seen a physical skimmer I've gotten into the habit of grabbing the card slot on the ATM to see if it's loose.  I also always cover the keypad when entering my PIN.  Additionally, I always use RFID shielding when in my pocket.  Call me overly cautious if you want, but to date the only card issues I've had came from using my card online, and the card issuer refunded my money when the fraud was reported.

Just curios, is your card the RFID/Contactless payment variety?

21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I have that service on the Thai bank I use but  it's not available with my USA bank.     In fact, the US bank will only call me for verification when I request a money transfer.     They will accept a fax from me but will never send one even after I offered to cover the cost of doing so.

I wonder if anyone has a foreign bank (home country) card that offers a text notice upon a withdrawal?

But I still wonder about the use of such a service inasmuch as  it offers "after the fact information".    i.e.   I just received notice a guy who withdrew 30k baht from my account is on the songthaew driving down the street away from the ATM he just robbed.     :smile:

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) offers this service free of charge.

I have the notification set for any withdrawal greater than 1cent, I receive a notice.

It arrives while I am still in front of the ATM. 

22 hours ago, sfokevin said:

You say they withdrew 30,000 twice?... I did not know that 30,000 at one time was possible?... I thought the ATM limit was 20,000 a time... Or do you have it set higher and if so who knows you have a higher limit of withdrawal?...

Several Thai bank ATM's allow withdrawals of 30,000 baht per transaction as long as it is less than your home

banks withdrawal limits.These are the ATM's I use to minimize Thai bank fees. (fewer withdrawals per year)

On 31.12.2017 at 8:33 PM, Rc2702 said:

I think your being technical in terms.

Skimming can happen by walking past someone and using a device to digitally steal data. An rfid wallet or card is built to protect against that.

The skimming term you speak of is more aligned to the card skimming practice as done at an ATM. 

Skimmers are not only for atms. 

Without the pin you can still rack up purchases onlìme. 

No, this not work. If you purchase something online and use your card you must give additional information too.

Date of Expiry & the last 3 no. from the back. And this they can't skimming.

21 hours ago, Meljames said:

But you must report it to the police. Otherwise the bank not gives you any information.