Road death toll rises to 239 after four days of Thailand’s "7 Dangerous Days"

webfact

New Year road toll expected to drop

By THE NATION

5d6734d14ccfe7f177f0002dfdb0bc71.jpeg

ROAD ACCIDENTS during the first four days of the New Year holiday season killed 239 people and injured more than 2,500 others.

Between Thursday and Sunday, there were 2,300 road accidents as people travelled around the country on holiday and returned home to visit their families in the provinces.

Officials will tighten their monitoring of traffic conditions today, the last day of the designated holiday season, to prevent further casualties as people return to their normal places of residence, according to national police chief General Chakthip Chaijinda.

024cc0b6d0a5a03f7138fc5610b04758.jpeg

With one day to go, Chakthip said he expected the number of accidents and casualties to be down on last year.

He urged commuters to cooperate with officials and stick to traffic regulations for their own safety. “Drunk and fast driving over the speed limit is strictly prohibited,” he said. 

“Wearing helmets and seat belts are compulsory for all drivers and passengers,” he said, adding that using cell phones while driving was also against the law.

In one road smash in northern Chiang Mai province yesterday, a van overturned injuring at least 13 passengers as it was taking them to Doi Ang Kang mountain for the New Year, a rescue official said. 

In the Northeast Udon Thani province, Governor Wattana Wutthichart attended a provincial hospital to visit people injured in road accidents during the holiday season and claimed that his road safety campaign this year had helped reduced number of casualties.

It urged people to stop friends and family from driving if drunk. Officials at checkpoints have been ordered to stop all vehicles and be alert for drivers who appeared drunk, he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30335187

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-02

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New Year’s road accident death toll rises to 239 in four days

By Thai PBS

acc.jpg

The New Year’s road accident death toll rose to 239 and 2,500 injuries on the fourth day of the seven-day safety driving campaign.

Only in a single day yesterday (Dec 31), 65 people were killed and 714 were injured in 678 traffic incidents, according to the Road Safety Centre.

The “7 Dangerous Day” road safety campaign was launched from Dec 28 until Jan 3.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-years-road-accident-death-toll-rises-239-four-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-02

Hard to say anything that is not repetitive of others.... I went through four police checkpoints in a distance of 20 kilometres in Surin Province on Saturday night.... waved through the first, licence checked at the second [Policeman surprised I had a Thai licence!!] waved through third and fourth.... You would have thought I would have been breath tested (and maybe failed) at least at one of the checkpoints....

Then Sunday from Surin to Chonburi via Bangkok I passed so many checkpoints that I lost count.... only one was manned by Policemen on the carriageway and we were all waved through 'cos they already had too many stopped for the capacity of the tea money collectors!!!

Hardly an effective measure for compliance, but nevertheless a highly visible reminder to wear seat belt, and obey traffic regulations.....

Only in a single day yesterday (Dec 31), 65 people were killed and 714 were injured in 678 traffic incidents, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Unfortunate that the media doesn't keep this in perspective.  65 road deaths in one day is just about average for any day in Thailand. 
The real horror isn't that so many people are killed on any specific day during the holidays, its that these statistics are normal for virtual any day of the week, any week of the month, any month of the year. 
There's the horror of this unabated carnage on Thai roads that has placed this country into first place for the most dangerous roads in the world.  And it seems that the government is unwilling or unable to do anything about it.  :sleep:

Edited by connda

Way to go, you've got the average up to 60 p/day. No doubt many RTP have taken holidays, so less policing perhaps, resulting in the numbers going up...

Nothing changes in LOS. Lots of verbiage, committees, etc.. with zero results. At the end of the day, Thais just say mai pen rai, so they don't care either... when will they learn?... :post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by merlin2002

I do not feel sorry for the poor or drunk drivers who lose their lives, but for those innocents who are hit by these careless drivers. 

Maybe it will take a family member of a high ranking official to be hit, to wake up the government to actually do anything serious about this problem. 

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Van overturns. Once again. Retard drivers....and don't blame the brakes or nighttime or buffalo on the road. It's the drivers!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not with me , my 200 hp car -engine drove me off the road ,while i was trying to grab the half empty whiskey bottle that rolled under my seat . Since i was not able to look at the road doing this ,i'm not responsible . It was my car alone who did this ,maybe with a little help of the rolling bottle that slipped out of my hand seconds before .15 Friends were watching the crash , but did nothing ......they were propped in the back of the pick-up,and while been catapulted through the sky.......they didn't do anything wrong .

Hard to say anything that is not repetitive of others.... I went through four police checkpoints in a distance of 20 kilometres in Surin Province on Saturday night.... waved through the first, licence checked at the second [Policeman surprised I had a Thai licence!!] waved through third and fourth.... You would have thought I would have been breath tested (and maybe failed) at least at one of the checkpoints....
Then Sunday from Surin to Chonburi via Bangkok I passed so many checkpoints that I lost count.... only one was manned by Policemen on the carriageway and we were all waved through 'cos they already had too many stopped for the capacity of the tea money collectors!!!

Hardly an effective measure for compliance, but nevertheless a highly visible reminder to wear seat belt, and obey traffic regulations.....
None of the check points I drove through in the last few days had any activity on the road by those tasked with manning the check points. All the action was under the roadside tent where I saw eating, tv watching, selfie taking, sleeping etc. What's their purpose and what are they enforcing?

2 minutes ago, tore stenberg said:

239 minus 167 sum 72 dead on the road not 65

the figure 65 is correct because the figures for the first 3 days has increased owing to deaths in hospital and those deaths are record to the day of the accident

Today's the day that most revellers travel from their family homes to their usual places of residence.  No doubt the usual Leos and glasses of laew khao will be consumed before leaving, so I suspect the numbers will escalate to somewhere near the normal for this time of year.

I'll leave it until tomorrow before I venture back on the road.

Happy New Year to all

I have just read in the Australian newspaper that 28 people which is double the figure from last year died on NSW roads over the Christmas/ NY period and that is in a country where the police do enforce the law.

So it’s not only Thailand where there is a problem on the roads.

image.png.846ae0f1fea6ddded2d18cdf54a0a46d.png

Here is a breakdown and a comparison that I have done of the road carnage figures on a daily basis with a comparison total for the 7 days.

Please note, all deaths are recorded regardless of whether it happened at the scene of the accident or not. If someone died a few days later in hospital, they are added to the tally, as long as it is within the so-called “7 dangerous days”.

The information for this has been acquired from several source's including MSN, The National, Bangkok Post, ThaiVisa News and Richard Barrow

16 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I have just read in the Australian newspaper that 28 people which is double the figure from last year died on NSW roads over the Christmas/ NY period and that is in a country where the police do enforce the law.

So it’s not only Thailand where there is a problem on the roads.

I wonder how many accidents in Australia are caused by international drivers.

"A federal MP whose electorate takes in the Great Ocean Road wants stricter standards for international tourists on driving holidays.

"These tourists are coming across from other parts of the world, getting into a hire car and they really are a moving time bomb," government backbencher Sarah Henderson told ABC Radio, adding that 20 per cent of crashes on the Great Ocean Road involve international drivers.

Ms Henderson said there are cases of tourists driving on the wrong side of the road, stopping in the middle of the highway to take pictures of koalas and ignoring stop signs.

She's called for a review of international driver's licences and for tourists to watch compulsory road safety video clips."

This has been sourced from The Australian

4 hours ago, jerojero said:

Van overturns. Once again. Retard drivers....and don't blame the brakes or nighttime or buffalo on the road

retards NOT, the actual reason they are preoccupied pondering the meaning of the universe towards PhD quantum physics thesis completion harvard online.

19 minutes ago, Nakrob said:

None of the check points I drove through in the last few days had any activity on the road by those tasked with manning the check points. All the action was under the roadside tent where I saw eating, tv watching, selfie taking, sleeping etc. What's their purpose and what are they enforcing?

The 'check points' that you refer to are not there to enforce anything. They are organized by the local authority, (in our case by the village head) and manned by volunteers from the within the community.

Their role is to react to any traffic incident by providing basic first aid and to call in the appropriate emergency services. Some of the volunteers are trained by the police. Their positioning, by the roadside serves a reminder to motorists of the dangers of inappropriate behavior on the roads.

Our own village head is a very active women and has done much to raise awareness regarding road safety, particularly drunk driving and the wearing of crash helmets and I'm pleased to note that there have been no incidence in, or around the village during the holidays.

This problem of traffic accidents and their consequences is very much a social issue that needs to addressed at the grass roots level of Thai society. This kind of initiative is, IMO, a small step in the right direction.

You can explain it, draw it, translate it, re-explain it ........ but you cannot understand it for them.

...... as long as the police is not strictly enforcing the law ....
...... as long as the punishment/fines are not really stiff ....
...... as long as nobody else cares ....

you will see hundreds of unnecessary deaths. Not included are those wounded in accidents plus the tens of thousands directly and indirectly affected by this such as fathers, brothers, sons, aunties, grannies, working colleagues, friends and acquaintances. 

Sheer stupidity of the first order - how sad! 

He urged commuters to cooperate with officials and stick to traffic regulations for their own safety. “Drunk and fast driving over the speed limit is strictly prohibited,” he said. 

Instead of urging them, try asking the police to issue tickets when they violate the law, in order to have an orderly society, and not in order to get tea money.  Just a thought.  

2 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

I heard they massage the figures lower?  if you die after reaching hospital they don't count them?  something like that?

incorrect, if you look at the post of mine that has the figures on it those fatality figures change on a daily basis, the first day's figures for deaths started at 41 and has increased daily as the injured person has died in hospital and it now sits at 47 for day 1 so 6 people have died in hospital from injuries from day 1 accidents

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

incorrect, if you look at the post of mine that has the figures on it those fatality figures change on a daily basis, the first day's figures for deaths started at 41 and has increased daily as the injured person has died in hospital and it now sits at 47 for day 1 so 6 people have died in hospital from injuries from day 1 accidents

So you say but my friend who works in a government hospital say's differently many die after 7 days and pressure is there to REDUCE figures. If you believe Thai stats then I don't know what to say lol 

3 hours ago, wirat69 said:

i drove some 350 kms from 28th dec to 2nd jan.....passed numerous checkpoints....many police stood around doing nothing except talking ....and some watching something on their phones. SO MOST CERTAINLY BRINGING THE DEATH STATISTIC DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!!