F1 2018

Basil B

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Those on the Mercedes pit wall have got it wrong so many times this season as well.

But today they have made the right calls. :clap2:

Yes ... cost LH quite a few points early on ... it they hadn't made those errors it would be just about 'job done' now. If it rains and doesn't loose it in the pits him and Max will be miles away ..............

I'm not here to brag.. oh heck I am! ???? I just asked Damon Hill on twitter if the F1 champs have a secret handshake when they meet. 

His answer

DH is one of the sensible chuckle folks on twitter, who don't always take things too seriously. Worth of following. 

I'm not here to brag.. oh heck I am! [emoji1] I just asked Damon Hill on twitter if the F1 champs have a secret handshake when they meet. 

His answer
DH is one of the sensible chuckle folks on twitter, who don't always take things too seriously. Worth of following. 
Firstly, well done for receiving a reply.

Perhaps the drivers detox in this secret location too ;-)

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Ferrari really screwed up as a team. The drivers can’t really point the finger at the pit wall and vice Versa. 

This season has really underlined that it is a team sport. Vettel has for the majority of the season had the car under him to have a comfortable lead in the championship but somehow the operation of the entire team including him has not  facilitated that. Vettel is a 4 time world champion with Red Bull so it’s not like he doesn’t know how to race and win so maybe Ferrari should think about hiring Christian Horner to get it right.

Yes redbull had Adrian Newey and he built the dominant car but right now Ferrari has a better car so its about the team gelling together and exploiting that.

Just on dominant cars the Ferrari pace seems to have fallen off in the last 2 races and I wonder if it’s got something to do with the mysterious battery pack where the paddock has been speculating that Ferrari had somehow managed to extract more HP from the battery than was allowed. Where there's Smoke there is usually fire and the FIA inspected them multiple times but the rumors never went away. I wonder if Ferrari were caught and in the last 2 races have reversed whatever they were doing. The FIA and the new owners of F1 don’t want a cheating scandal and they don’t want Ferrari leaving the sport so I wouldn’t be surprised if something was found then it may have been brushed under the rug.

cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Ferrari really screwed up as a team. The drivers can’t really point the finger at the pit wall and vice Versa. 

This season has really underlined that it is a team sport. Vettel has for the majority of the season had the car under him to have a comfortable lead in the championship but somehow the operation of the entire team including him has not  facilitated that. Vettel is a 4 time world champion with Red Bull so it’s not like he doesn’t know how to race and win so maybe Ferrari should think about hiring Christian Horner to get it right.

Yes redbull had Adrian Newey and he built the dominant car but right now Ferrari has a better car so its about the team gelling together and exploiting that.

Just on dominant cars the Ferrari pace seems to have fallen off in the last 2 races and I wonder if it’s got something to do with the mysterious battery pack where the paddock has been speculating that Ferrari had somehow managed to extract more HP from the battery than was allowed. Where there's Smoke there is usually fire and the FIA inspected them multiple times but the rumors never went away. I wonder if Ferrari were caught and in the last 2 races have reversed whatever they were doing. The FIA and the new owners of F1 don’t want a cheating scandal and they don’t want Ferrari leaving the sport so I wouldn’t be surprised if something was found then it may have been brushed under the rug.

cheers

Some truth there. You notice Seb talks about Fun now, before he hardly mentioned fun.Just facts.

I watched the race.Fortunately i also had the Mount Panorama Bathurst Supercheap 1000, so i did see some good old fashioned stuff this weekend.!1I like Hamilton, but hes like a Kid at an Adult Party , cant get away quick enough when it ends.

7 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

In the post race interviews Bottas said his job was to support Hamilton until he wis the title and that can’t come soon enough for him.

First, Velttari is not as quick as Lewis, OK we are talking fractions of a second, but that's miles in F1.

Secondly, If it were not for Mercedes he would still likely be driving for Williams.

Thirdly, he has collected a lot of silverware in the last two years.

Even if he were the number one driver at any other team he still is not going to have a better chance of the top position on the podium.

There are other drivers in F1 who are better than him who have collected a lot less silverware.

Given Mercedes form the last few outings do not rule him out of a win or two particularly if Lewis has a problem or two. 

• Like 1

I was away for the race, Duern Sip is a big deal down South. Ferrari's situation does not surprise me, it's a seasonal thing. Compete at the season opening, then later forget it as the following season is more important apparently.

3 minutes ago, Mosha said:

I was away for the race, Duern Sip is a big deal down South. Ferrari's situation does not surprise me, it's a seasonal thing. Compete at the season opening, then later forget it as the following season is more important apparently.

There has been lots of reports of infighting in Ferrari management, since their CEO died. 

Team principal and technical director has formed two camps inside Ferrari.

That naturally affects the results of the whole team.

• 2 weeks later...

Austin FP1

Hamilton King of the rain...

My thoughts are Ferrari will put all effort in to getting Seb on pole with Kimi second on pole riding shotgun... But Seb may have already blown it.

Vettel has been summoned to stewards over failing to slow for the red flag.

If found guilty, precedent suggests that could be a three-place grid penalty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45919811

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJBangkok said:

A tough break for Vettel but what were the stewards supposed to do. Obviously everybody cares about the championship but when it comes to safety there really isn’t any room for them to turn a blind eye. ( and they shouldn’t ) 

Shamefully in the past stewards have awarded (or not) penalties to keep the the game alive to the last race.

it is not impossible for Vettel to win but just a lot harder, and he would certainly need a lot of luck. 

Seb pushed back to 5th on the grid...

with Reicciardo, Bottas, Raikkonen and Hamilton in front it will not be impossible to prevent Lewis's crowning today.

Me think...

Daniel will just let him past, does not want to tangle with him.

Valtteri may hold him back for 5 to 10 laps, and some wheel bumping as Seb barges his way through.

Kimi will be under team orders, but there again he has nothing to lose and will have very few if anymore opportunities in a competitive car to prove he is a better driver.

Lewis will not even see him in his wing mirrors.  

What a race last night! USGP has been my favourite track over the years. There seem to be always good racing going on. 

Last night I thought I'm too tired to watch the race. Decided to watch the start.. and then I couldn't stop anymore ????

After Hamilton's first stop during the VSC when he got 8 seconds behind Kimi in no time, many thought that was it. The few laps when Kimi kept Lewis behind and made him to use the tires were crucial to the end results. Merc probably should have taken Lewis to the 2nd pitstop few laps earlier. 

Somehow Verstappen, who did an excellent race, was 'our good guy' today keeping Hamilton behind. Reputations come and go in F1 quite fast ????

One of F1 commentators said after the race "Well, maybe now it's time to check what happened to the other 15 drivers." That works as a definition of an excellent race day. There was so much happening at the front, that everything else passed unnoticed. 

Finnish F1 twitter went absolutely ballistic due Kimi's win. Everybody were hoping so much for him to get the golden crown, before his tenure with Ferrari is over. It's not so likely that he'll get wins during the next two seasons with Sauber. 

112 races between wins. New F1 record, which might stay for a while. Kimi also broke the record of times between 1st and last win - almost 16 years. 

Nice to see Kimi show Ferrari what they will be missing...

Well Lewis did not do it, but next week he only needs to finish 7th if Seb was first to clinch the championship, for Seb second will not do he needs to win all the remaining races, so unless Lewis slips on a banana skin and breaks a leg he will almost certainly be walking away with the championship, probably next weekend, even if he were to start from the back of the grid.  

Edited by Basil B

It was interesting during the race to hear the commentators praising Mercedes for the early pit stop under the VSC and hammering Ferrari for making a major tactical mistake by not pitting, but at the end if the race they were harping about the brilliant Ferrari strategy.

i must say Kimi drive a superb race and I was incredibly happy to see him finally secure that elusive win. The only thing that would make me happier is if Finnish drivers win the last three races. That would be the icing on the cake of what has been the best season in years.

• Like 1

Many agree, with You. That Post Race reporter on You Tube F1 that cant keep still is another irritant, we were all spoilt by unbiased Murray Walker i suppose. Plus his English all can understand. Some  Brit dialects are difficult. More PC nonsense applied to Sport.

Lewis lost it in first 20 seconds of the race when Kimi passed him. 

The first Pit stop was spot on, but then Lewis took a lot out of his tires trying to pass Kimi, should have come in again when he had a 20s lead and Kimi was 2s a lap faster. 

• Like 1

A post that had an image containing profanity has been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

A profane reply to a public notice has been removed. 

Edited by metisdead