F1 2018

Basil B

Well Happy New Year every one.

Well here is this years calendar 21 races, First race starting in less than 12 weeks

Formula 1 Grand Prix Date Venue
Australia 25/03/18 Melbourne
Bahrain 08/04/18 Sakhir
China 15/04/18 Shanghai
Azerbaijan 29/04/18 Baku
Spain 13/05/18 Barcelona
Monaco 27/05/18 Monaco
Canada 10/06/18 Montreal
France 24/06/18 Le Castellet
Austria 01/07/18 Spielberg
Great Britain 08/07/18 Silverstone
Germany 22/07/18 Hockenheim
Hungary 29/07/18 Budapest
Belgium 26/08/18 Spa-Francorchamps
Italy 02/09/18 Monza
Singapore 16/09/18 Singapore
Russia 30/09/18 Sochi
Japan 07/10/18 Suzuka
USA 21/10/18 Austin
Mexico 28/10/18 Mexico City
Brazil 11/11/18 Sao Paulo
Abu Dhabi 25/11/18

Yas Marina

All teams except Williams have announced their full driver line up

F1 2018 driver line-up

Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton, Valtteri Bottas

Ferrari: Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen

Red Bull: Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen

Force India: Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon

Williams: Lance Stroll, TBA

Renault: Nico Hulkenberg, Carlos Sainz

Toro Rosso: Pierre Gasly, Brendon Hartley

Haas: Romain Grosjean, Kevin Magnussen

McLaren: Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne

Sauber: Marcus Ericsson, Charles Leclerc

F1 2018 testing dates

February 26-March 1, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

March 6-9, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

May 15-16, Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

July 31-August 1, Hungaroring, Budapest

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aston Martin to produce F1 engines???

Aston Martin has received interest from a handful of Formula 1 teams regarding the possibility of an engine supply for 2021 and beyond, Autosport has learned.

The British carmaker, which will become Red Bull's title sponsor in 2018, is keen on F1's next engine rules cycle providing the production and development costs are controlled.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133721/aston-attracting-interest-from-several-f1-teams

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Mosha said:

Well the boring races are about to get more boring.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/22273163/formula-one-announces-no-longer-use-grid-girls

When Darts announced they wouldn't use the walk on ladies, one lady said that was 60% of her income gone

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

To be honest lot of them really not that sexy... particularly the Emirates lot ...dress code:  underwear for women should be well-fitted white or beige ... nothing sexy :sad:

To be honest lot of them really not that sexy... particularly the Emirates lot ...dress code:  underwear for women should be well-fitted white or beige ... nothing sexy :sad:
Given how Saudis have Camel Beauty shows, perhaps The Arab races could use Grid Camels.

8 hours ago, Mosha said:

All races to start 10 minutes after the hour. No it's not a joke.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/22285255/f1-confirms-tweaks-weekend-schedule-2018

Makes sense, presume if a race runs the full 2 hours there will be racing to get the podium finished 20 mins as most broadcasters will have only allowed a 150min slot,

I am worried what is going to come next, the race stopped ever 10 minute for 5 minutes so the broadcasters can run there adds???

The most obvious is that every grand prix will now start 10 minutes later than usual, to allow broadcasters to build-up to a race if their programming happens to start on the hour.

Because the Yanks are not clever enough to start their 'race day' program coverage half an hour (or even an hour) before the race start :violin:

On 02/02/2018 at 8:49 AM, JoePai said:

The most obvious is that every grand prix will now start 10 minutes later than usual, to allow broadcasters to build-up to a race if their programming happens to start on the hour.

Because the Yanks are not clever enough to start their 'race day' program coverage half an hour (or even an hour) before the race start :violin:

Bet American Foot Ball will still keep the scantly clad Pom-Pom girls... 

Confirmed car launches/roll-outs

TEAM CHASSIS (POWER UNIT) DATE VENUE
Williams FW41 (Mercedes) February 15 London, UK
Sauber C37 (Ferrari) February 20 Online
Renault R.S.18 (Renault) February 20 Online
Ferrari TBC (Ferrari) February 22 Online
Mercedes  W09 (Mercedes) February 22 Silverstone, UK
McLaren MCL33 (Renault) February 23 TBC
Toro Rosso STR13 (Honda) February 26

Barcelona, Spain

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/f1-2018-car-launch-pre-season-testing-schedule.html

Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsport, together with the FIA, is pleased to announce a new partnership, called Grid Kids, to make the pre-race ceremony more relevant and interesting for fans, especially the younger ones.

The joint initiative will involve the local Grand Prix promoter working alongside ASNs – the FIA-recognised national sporting authorities – who will provide a unique opportunity to youngsters and their families to be part of one of the most exclusive and exciting moments of the whole race weekend.

The youngsters will be chosen by their motorsport clubs on merit, or by lottery, and will already be competing in karting or junior formulae. The lucky few will then be able to accompany and stand alongside the 20 best drivers in the world on the grid as they prepare for the race.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-and-fia-in-new-grid-kids-partnership.html

• 3 weeks later...

4 days of testing in the dry, the wet    ...and the snow.

McLaren looks like we may see more tantrums in the garage as it looks like Vandoorne may well be a better driver than his team mate this year. Vandoorne set the 3rd highest speed and managed over 100 laps on day four so looking forward to McLaren finishing a few races this year... 

1 hour ago, Mosha said:

Driver rips his race suit on halo as he exits car

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/22596115/toro-rosso-pierre-gasly-ripped-race-suit-halo

Any other driver have problems? I assume like any PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) there will be resistance to using it by some people.

I also assume this device will very from constructor to constructor, and anything goes as long as it conforms to the rule book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those of you who are on Twitter, I highly recommend following Sean Kelly aka virtualstatman on twitter. He provides lots of interesting facts and is very active on twitter. 

For this race, I had to ask the question, what is the probability of winning from 2nd grid position :)

I made an website for collection of F1 news feeds (work in progress). If you know some other sources, which provide RSS feeds of F1 news (not mixed with other motorsports) and should be included, please ping me. https://f1sun.com/

Results of Australian GP: VET-HAM-RAI

Vettel was extremely lucky with the pit stop during virtual safety car. 

Toto: Possibly a software problem with the calculation of time difference between Vettel and Hamilton.

Bottas was a bit disappointment, but to be fair to him it's quite difficult to overtake on this track. Last year race had only 2 overtakes. This year there were quite a lot more. Mostly due driver mistakes.

The F1 fun factor results:

The funnies driver won. The second funniest got 4th.

Funniest grumpy old man got 3rd and the second funnies GOM got 5th. 

7 minutes ago, Mosha said:

It seems McLaren were right to dump Honda.

That was one interesting point of the race. The downside is that we no longer hear Alonso's sarcastic comments during the race :D 

26 minutes ago, Mosha said:

It seems McLaren were right to dump Honda.

Toro Rosso had a bad day... is anyone surprised???

My mum is getting worried about her Honda Jazz.

Archived