F1 2018

Basil B

8 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Absolutely yes! That's called racing. 

F1 is a team sport involving big money. I don't like it, most other people don't like it but that's the way it is. You either follow team orders or you're out of the team.

Mercedes want a world champion this season, Hamilton is their only hope. Team orders rule. Hamilton gets maximum points with minimum risk. It's the only game in town.

Unless your name's Verstappen of course. Doesn't do team orders. Brilliant drive yesterday. Driver of the day.

Edited by Spidey

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

F1 is a team sport involving big money. I don't like it, most other people don't like it but that's the way it is. You either follow team orders or you're out of the team.

Mercedes want a world champion this season, Hamilton is their only hope. Team orders rule. Hamilton gets maximum points with minimum risk. It's the only game in town.

Team sport.. 

Ok, fine. Let's scrap the individual drivers points and only have constructors world championship on F1. That's the only thing that should matter for the team sport. 

After each race there one driver could be voted by a team of experts as most valuable driver of the day.

Furthermore F1 could allow to sacrifice one driver in the way of Piquet Jr in Singapore to allow Alonso to win the race, if that gives the best points for the team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Formula_One_crash_controversy

No. F1 is both team and individual spots. Right now top F1 teams eagerness to get one driver to the top, with team orders, simply kills the racing. Russian GP was fun to watch until the team order was done. There was some real and exciting racing. And a flat ending, which nobody enjoyed. 

Just now, oilinki said:

o. F1 is both team and individual spots. Right now top F1 teams eagerness to get one driver to the top, with team orders, simply kills the racing.

No, it's a team sport and it's all about the money. Has been for a very long time. If a team has a reigning world champion it increases sponsorship money tenfold.

You're preaching to the converted but, sadly, it's not going to change.

I assume that you're a Bottas fan and, as such, I feel your pain but you must face facts, team orders or no team orders, Hamilton would have won the race. He's the best driver in the world, Bottas is just a support act.

I'm a huge Hamilton fan but you could see 'winning' this way made him uncomfortable and for Bottas to have to step aside after not putting a foot wrong all weekend must have been a bitter pill to swallow but even he said Hamilton is the one with the title shot so it was the sensible option for Mercedes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I assume that you're a Bottas fan and, as such, I feel your pain but you must face facts, team orders or no team orders, Hamilton would have won the race. He's the best driver in the world, Bottas is just a support act.

I support Bottas, but he is currently too vanilla for my taste. Hoping he will get some edge some day very soon. Bottas needs to get angry and show occasional 'Don't frag with me' attitude, if he ever wishes to be at the very top.

Had he win the way Lewis did yesterday, I would had been ashamed on his win. 

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

Is Joe Public much interested in the Teams, its the Drivers

Tell that to the Tifosi. They don't care who's driving the car, as long as Ferrari are No:1.

BTW. Sauber was named after it's founder, Peter Sauber.

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Had he win the way Lewis did yesterday, I would had been ashamed on his win

Well maybe that's a difference between Finns and Brits. For us, a win is a win. ????

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Well maybe that's a difference between Finns and Brits. For us, a win is a win. ????

I must have sat with some honest Brits yesterday, they dint like the win. I f you got nothing to do search Macow F3 2018 on You Tube, the best F3 race for ages.What a Finnish

10 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I must have sat with some honest Brits yesterday, they dint like the win. I f you got nothing to do search Macow F3 2018 on You Tube, the best F3 race for ages.What a Finnish

I went to watch the Macau F3 race a few years ago. Verstappen was racing. Crashed out trying to take the lead. Impossible to overtake, races continuously being stopped by safety car. Worst track in the world. Would never go there again.

Edited by Spidey
  • Sad 1

I think everybody did not enjoy that win...

Least of all Lewis, no jumping on the car, no crowd surfing the mechanics, very subdued finish.

Would have liked to have seen Lewis win without team orders which I think would have been the most likely outcome.

I was suspicious Lewis went wide in Q3 on purpose to let Valtteri take pole.

I hope Valtteri will collect at least two wins out of the next five races.

At least the cars did not get scratched...

I think everybody did not enjoy that win...

Least of all Lewis, no jumping on the car, no crowd surfing the mechanics, very subdued finish.

Would have liked to have seen Lewis win without team orders which I think would have been the most likely outcome.

I was suspicious Lewis went wide in Q3 on purpose to let Valtteri take pole.

I hope Valtteri will collect at least two wins out of the next five races.

At least the cars did not get scratched...

I’ve not caught up & seen the whole race however the podium mood & post race clearly showed unease at Mercedes team orders, I do have sympathy for Bottas & I’ve utter respect for the guy and his composure in Moscow.

Unfortunately, this is F1 & it’s unlikely to change anytime soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a Bottas fan ( and a Kimi Fan) in terms of drivers and a mercedes fan in terms of constructors. I feel for Bottas but I don’t think Mercedes had another option and i probably would have been angrier if they didn’t make the switch as Mercedes wining both the drivers and constructors championships is going to make me happier than Bottas winning a single race. 

I don’t Like “ haircut” Hamilton, sure he is an exceptional driver however it’s the mercedes drive that matters as if he were in a Williams or Maclaren he’d just be a novelty sound bite for the commentators as Alonso is now.

i wonder why the commentators never comment on Hamilton’s haircuts or the fact he’s always trying to hide it under a towel or get it under a cap as fast as possible which actually makes people focus on it even more. ( oh and get rid of the stupid nose stud as well - it looks ridiculous but not ridiculous enough to prise your attention away from his haircut) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJBangkok said:

I’m a Bottas fan ( and a Kimi Fan) in terms of drivers and a mercedes fan in terms of constructors. I feel for Bottas but I don’t think Mercedes had another option and i probably would have been angrier if they didn’t make the switch as Mercedes wining both the drivers and constructors championships is going to make me happier than Bottas winning a single race. 

I don’t Like “ haircut” Hamilton, sure he is an exceptional driver however it’s the mercedes drive that matters as if he were in a Williams or Maclaren he’d just be a novelty sound bite for the commentators as Alonso is now.

i wonder why the commentators never comment on Hamilton’s haircuts or the fact he’s always trying to hide it under a towel or get it under a cap as fast as possible which actually makes people focus on it even more. ( oh and get rid of the stupid nose stud as well - it looks ridiculous but not ridiculous enough to prise your attention away from his haircut) 

Tend to agree, much prefer the Red Bull Boys. 2 happy chaps who dont know how to be falsely diplomatic.!.

The mistake was not to call Lewis in on lap 13, they must have seen that he would get held up by Sergey.

On team orders... sad as it is Ferrari were defiantly down on performance this weekend but if they fix it and end up doing a one/two for the next five races Lewis would probably lose the championship.

They owe Bottas, probably the best team player that an F1 team has ever had.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

The mistake was not to call Lewis in on lap 13, they must have seen that he would get held up by Sergey.

On team orders... sad as it is Ferrari were defiantly down on performance this weekend but if they fix it and end up doing a one/two for the next five races Lewis would probably lose the championship.

They owe Bottas, probably the best team player that an F1 team has ever had.

It wasn't Ferrari that were down on performance, Mercedes were up on performance.

Barrichello used to take one for the team on a regular basis when he was Schumacher's No:2.

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

It wasn't Ferrari that were down on performance, Mercedes were up on performance.

Barrichello used to take one for the team on a regular basis when he was Schumacher's No:2.

Ferrari: Whatever happened to F1's most ruthlessly successful team?

If Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel is not quite in the last-chance saloon at this weekend's Russian Grand Prix, he is on the edge of town riding a prancing horse that has developed a limp.

Forty points behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton, Vettel has been beaten in three of the last four races, all of which he could - perhaps should - have won had he and his team put together a perfect weekend.

Instead, the story of Ferrari's 2018 season has been one of not achieving perfection anywhere near often enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/45640915

Did not catch the exact details but one of the commentators on C4 F1 looking at the rear of a Ferrari noted that Ferrari had removed a modification suggesting it may not have been within the rules and that was the cause of the drop in performance.

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Clowns working on the Ferrari pit wall for qualifying it seems.

It could have been worse. Darn good they didn't have tractor tyres available at Ferrari garage ???? 

Should be fun tomorrow...

410 meters to T1 & 2, and eight cars in front of car 5, a number of them only used to allowing car 5 past under a blue flag, and plenty of red mist, mayhem at T1/2 on the first lap is likely to be unavoidable...

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Clowns working on the Ferrari pit wall for qualifying it seems.

Those on the Mercedes pit wall have got it wrong so many times this season as well.

But today they have made the right calls. :clap2: