Video: Seven migrant workers catapulted onto the road but all live

snoop1130

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with people loose in the back of a pick up is that they are similar to a single horse in a double Horsebox ie it is a moving weight so the front wheels of the car will loose traction and the movement of weight destabilize the vehicle thus all control is lost and flip a Horsebox or pick up and catapult the people out of the pick up bed.

20 minutes ago, impulse said:

Doesn't there have to be a fatality for a manslaughter charge?

Or are you just taking a swat at the locals with that remark about Thai brains?

You didn't see the EMT repeatedly doing CPR on that girl?  You think a Thai EMT can resuscitate a person with CPR? 

1 minute ago, soistalker said:

You didn't see the EMT repeatedly doing CPR on that girl?  You think a Thai EMT can resuscitate a person with CPR? 

Nice deflection. 

You recommended a vehicular manslaughter charge.  There were no deaths.  Then you claimed that Thai drivers' brains cannot quickly assess a situation.  Which is a pretty blatant Thai bash.  I've found that Thai's have to be good at assessing and reacting to dangerous conditions, because they encounter so many more than we do back home.  Which is not an endorsement of traffic safety in Thailand.

On the CPR thing (which, BTW wasn't even mentioned until you needed a deflection), I think you'll find that worldwide, CPR has a minuscule success rate.   Whether the EMT is Thai or another nationality doesn't really play into that.  Unless you're just bashing Thais again.  

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/10/health/cpr-lifesaving-stats/index.html

http://www.jems.com/articles/2011/02/cpr-exercise-futility.html

Everybody knows sitting in the back of pick-ups is dangerous  People in Thailand sit in the back of pick-ups The law was changed to address this problem But this law will never be enforced so i have just accepted that people ride in the back of pick-ups in Thailand  Nothing will change so i just say ok Thats life next case

Those people sitting in the back of those pick-ups have no idea that if that pick-up has an accident that they are riding in they stand a good chance of going to heaven(Dying)  

I am afraid there is no awareness of this happening to these people 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The truck was certainly undertaking traffic and the quality of the following truck drivers driving made him complicit when undertaking while there was a parked truck on the left. Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video.

However, the root cause of the accident - poor vehicle maintenance (low tyre pressure or badly worn tires) resulting in the blow out combined with unrestrained passengers. 

I'd like to think that had many of us been driving this accident could have been avoided with quicker reactions and certainly not attempting to *undertake when the road was already blocked to the left. 

[*someone is bound to come on here and question 'undertaking' but in reality, in Thailand its sometimes the only way of passing some slow moving traffic in the right most lanes]

Agree with you Richard. But Thailand isn't the only country to permit "undertaking" i.e. you can overtake on both sides of a vehicle. Some countries prohibit undertaking.

The issue was the general lack of any maintenance or forethought which may have contributed to the blow-out and people riding unrestrained or protected in the back of an open pick-up truck. There's a world of difference between allowing that in back country quiet roads and tanking down the expressways.

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just a quickie on tyre pressures, i had a slow puncture on my scooter last week had it checked by 3 tyre bays, not one had a pressure gauge. must have been 50 psi in there, steering wandering all over the road, every bump like riding on a solid tyre (which it was ) so my take on it, they just guess tyre pressures,

I have often experienced the same situation when visiting the tire shops. 

None of the personnel have a tire gauge.

I am sure there are shops that do,

though they are rare and far inbetween,

but for the most part they don't see a use for one.

Edited by ajarnmarc

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

Nice deflection. 

You recommended a vehicular manslaughter charge.  There were no deaths.  Then you claimed that Thai drivers' brains cannot quickly assess a situation.  Which is a pretty blatant Thai bash.  I've found that Thai's have to be good at assessing and reacting to dangerous conditions, because they encounter so many more than we do back home.  Which is not an endorsement of traffic safety in Thailand.

On the CPR thing (which, BTW wasn't even mentioned until you needed a deflection), I think you'll find that worldwide, CPR has a minuscule success rate.   Whether the EMT is Thai or another nationality doesn't really play into that.  Unless you're just bashing Thais again.  

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/10/health/cpr-lifesaving-stats/index.html

http://www.jems.com/articles/2011/02/cpr-exercise-futility.html

Not a deflection; you proved my point that that poor girl will probably die with your comment about the very low success rate of CPR, and the much lower rate of success on a Thai highway.

Youre not winning the argument; you're just being combative.

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

I've found that Thai's have to be good at assessing and reacting to dangerous conditions, because they encounter so many more than we do back home.     

And if Thais are so " good at assessing and reacting to dangerous conditions" then why are there so many accidents where the drivers do not break before a collision?! The truck driver clearly never reacted to the crash. I have seen hundreds of YouTube videos of crashes in Thailand where  the drivers do not break before collision.

It's rather absurd.

The accident was captured on the dash cam of the truck as a rear tire on the Toyota Hilux burst causing the pick-up to veer off a straight line.

I've seen a few tire blowouts before where the drivers could always stop on the other lane without hitting other vehicles. Not functioning brakes, ball joints, and all important parts of a steering seem to malfunction pretty often.

The truck was clearly too fast and was causing the truck to flip over. The driver was way too old to drive a big truck. I don't want to know how bad the brakes of the truck and the tires were. 

You can't beat this accident here:

Edited by jenny2017

12 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

3) Not only could some of us have avoided this accident, we should have.  Regardless of how quickly a vehicle ahead slows or stops, it is the duty of the driver behind to follow at a safe stopping distance.

The problem with following at a safe distance in this country is that very often, in my experience, some nutter will make the situation much more dangerous by jumping into that space due to impatience.

This clip demonstrates very poor driving on behalf of the truck driver. 

As a driver of a heavy vehicle it is your responisbility to drive in such a manner  as to be able to react to these situations. Any vehicle on any road in the world could have a failure and veer off the road. The pickup had a blown tyre, indicated and moved left as any of us would have. The truck was 40+ metres behind when this began and made no adjustments. 

Already there was a stopped car with a man next to it on the freeway but the truck driver maintained speed. 

I doubt the trucks brakes were touched until he blew the horn which was right about the time of impact. 

Very unprofessional driving by the truck driver that would have him charged with careless driving if not culpable driving in Australia. 

Edited by Crustyhk

13 hours ago, mercman24 said:

just a quickie on tyre pressures, i had a slow puncture on my scooter last week had it checked by 3 tyre bays, not one had a pressure gauge. must have been 50 psi in there, steering wandering all over the road, every bump like riding on a solid tyre (which it was ) so my take on it, they just guess tyre pressures,

A person should always check tire pressures cold. (Note on the sidewalls of a tire it will say, "inflate to xx psi cold" hot tires increase pressure and on radial tires the sidewall will explode. I used to check my air pressure at gas stations, the machines there had air pressure settings set at the pump and automatically stopped at the proper pressure. Is it possible the 3 tire bays had the same type devices? Did it ever occur to have the slow leak repaired? Many shops sell cans with tempory stop leak. 

13 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

The problem with following at a safe distance in this country is that very often, in my experience, some nutter will make the situation much more dangerous by jumping into that space due to impatience.

This comment is spot on.

And if you leave a space between you and the driver in the next lane to keep out of his blind spot,  some one will invariably thread the needle.

13 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Bald tires probably pumped up to 60psi, happy-go-lucky girls jettisoned into the road, I hope they all survived, and the one receiving heart massage? That idiot parked on the hard shoulder, [ like it's the most normal thing to do], had a narrow escape.

Yeah, probably stopped to take a leak or take a break to enjoy the fresh freeway air.

Thai_pickup_blowout.jpeg.6b0654dd0135bf40d3df390969e19b67.jpeg

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The truck was certainly undertaking traffic and the quality of the following truck drivers driving made him complicit when undertaking while there was a parked truck on the left. Perhaps he wasn't concentrating given the 'rabbiting' conversation on the video.

However, the root cause of the accident - poor vehicle maintenance (low tyre pressure or badly worn tires) resulting in the blow out combined with unrestrained passengers. 

I'd like to think that had many of us been driving this accident could have been avoided with quicker reactions and certainly not attempting to *undertake when the road was already blocked to the left. 

[*someone is bound to come on here and question 'undertaking' but in reality, in Thailand its sometimes the only way of passing some slow moving traffic in the right most lanes]

I looked at the vdo several times and in freeze frame and I see no evidence of a blow out on the left side tyres that we can see. What I did see was a truck driver that made no attempt to slow down when he was coming to a narrowing road with a pickup quite legally in the center lane moving over to the left side after the painted line finished, and causing the collision. IMO it's not an accident, but bad driving by the truck driver.

56 minutes ago, soistalker said:

This comment is spot on.

And if you leave a space between you and the driver in the next lane to keep out of his blind spot,  some one will invariably thread the needle.

Why do posters seem to believe that that universal behaviour is confined to Thailand? Happens everywhere.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do posters seem to believe that that universal behaviour is confined to Thailand? Happens everywhere.

This is such an annoying question and people ask it time and again. 

No one thinks it only happen in Thailand, this just happens to be a Thai forum whereby people talk about things that happen in Thailand.

How hard is that to workout ?

17 minutes ago, berybert said:

This is such an annoying question and people ask it time and again. 

No one thinks it only happen in Thailand, this just happens to be a Thai forum whereby people talk about things that happen in Thailand.

How hard is that to workout ?

They are appropriating universal behaviour to try and prove that specifically Thais are terrible drivers or whatnot in support of their agenda to disparage Thais in all things.

That is very annoying.

By all means discuss bad behaviour that is specific to Thais.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are appropriating universal behaviour to try and prove that specifically Thais are terrible drivers or whatnot in support of their agenda to disparage Thais in all things.

That is very annoying.

By all means discuss bad behaviour that is specific to Thais.

Of course Thais are terrible drivers. Along with other countries that don't have proper driving tests.

How can you be good at something if you don't have a clue as to what you are doing.

Bad driving happens everywhere as you said. But to drive badly to have to know you have done something wrong.

There wont be one person involved in that crash that believed they did anything wrong.

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This kind of person uses the lame:

Problem ______happens in country _____ as well. 

It is a fallacy of logic, and the Thai apologists' greatest tool.

Yes, people in other countries tailgate, but not every several minutes on the highway will you get someone 2 meters from your bumper at 100kph.

Yes, people drive like sh!t in other countries, but I have lived extensively in five Asian countries, and in my own civilized homeland, and I, and every other poster here by you have never seen such sh!tty driving as in Thailand.

6 hours ago, chrissables said:

Glad the victims all survived.  They probably would not have had they been on a motorcycle instead.

What are you talking about?

That is just what I thought , yep they would all 7 of them survived if they had been on a Hona Wave. Wont go any further a bun fight developing .