Thailand should recognise tourists’ driver’s licences, says poll

webfact

2 hours ago, Shroud said:

Does it become necessary to obtain an Intl. DL if I have a Thai DL?

No. It does not. The IDP is only required if you are going to use the license from your home country. The IDP is nothing more than a translation of the information on your home country's license so that police will know what vehicles you are licensed,  for without their needing to understand the language and coding used on the foreign license. It is also proof that you hold a valid license in your home country, as you can not 'legally' have one without the prerequisite driver's license.

Getting a Thai license is a ridiculously simple task. No need for translators. Almost no need to be able to drive... That much is obvious if you've spent much time on Thai roads. Get the license for car and get the license for motorcycle. Then never need to deal it again. Make life simple.

Many people have driven in Thailand for years, even getting stopped by police now and then, and not needed to produce the IDP, passports, registration, etc.  By the same token, many people have driven without having accident insurance and never needed it. But there comes a day... 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, lordblackader said:

No it's not. its only essential for any short term tourist here under 90 days to have an IDP.

It's essential to obtain a Thai Drivers License if you're here longer than 90 days. The IDP is meant to be a temporary measure only and most countries will only respect it out to 90 days. If you're driving on one after 2 years you're breaking the law. 

IDP's issued in Australia by NRMA are good for a year, and if you have travel insurance for over 90 days, which I have had, you will require the IDP for the period of your travel insurance cover, i.e. 6, 9, 12 months cover, if you intend to ride or drive a vehicle in Thailand.

The IDP is recognised by Thailand and sufficient to drive and ride within the period stated on it within Thailand, providing your current drivers licence from Australia has not expired during this time, suffice to say if you don't have an IDP in Thailand for more than 90 days, it is noted that if hiring a car or motorbike, it is as you say, 90 days is the maximum on a tourist visa, then you have to get a Thai drivers licence if you want to continue driving/riding, excluding hire cars/bikes.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 hours ago, wgdanson said:

According to the AA you do need an IDP. However, I have been stopped driving on my UK licence several times and no questions asked, ever.

I was led to believe that an IDP is merely a translation into English, of your UK license. It costs about 30 quid at a Post Office, AA or RAC.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

I was asked for an IDP 4 times in one month at checks in CM.  The Police had a photocopy of IDP to wave at you.

If you are in UK an IDP costs £5 at at main post offices.  Takes about 5 minutes.

4 hours ago, alant said:

Don't agree, I rather thing lordblackader has it right

"

No it's not. its only essential for any short term tourist here under 90 days to have an IDP.

It's essential to obtain a Thai Drivers License if you're here longer than 90 days. The IDP is meant to be a temporary measure only and most countries will only respect it out to 90 days. If you're driving on one after 2 years you're breaking the law."

although I am not sure about the 2 year thing. As for renewing your home licence, no idea in the country where you come from but in the UK I have no problems with using a Thai licence and it would be illegal for me to continue with my UK licence as I live overseas. 

My reply to lordblackader below, copy and pasted:

IDP's issued in Australia by NRMA are good for a year, and if you have travel insurance for over 90 days, which I have had, you will require the IDP for the period of your travel insurance cover, i.e. 6, 9, 12 months cover, if you intend to ride or drive a vehicle in Thailand.

The IDP is recognised by Thailand and sufficient to drive and ride within the period stated on it within Thailand, providing your current drivers licence from Australia has not expired during this time, suffice to say if you don't have an IDP in Thailand for more than 90 days, it is noted that if hiring a car or motorbike, it is as you say, 90 days is the maximum on a tourist visa, then you have to get a Thai drivers licence if you want to continue driving/riding, excluding hire cars/bikes.

With regard to the 2 year thing, I assume he is stating that if you drive on your Thai licence after 2 years (first issue), its illegal, as you have to renew it after that period, when it then becomes a 5 year licence if you are living here as an Xpat.

Edited by 4MyEgo

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand does recognise foreign driving licences....the problem for many tourists is that they don't carry the International driving permit alongside them.

Really! I've an International license. So I should carry my British license to be Legal? 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after that you needed to get a Thai one (the law is similar in other countries). But now it seems that is not true in Phuket, It is crazy to ask tourists to get a Thai drivers license. For expats longer here then 90 days its perfectly normal and good according to international law. Its just that many expats are lazy to do so. I got both a Thai m/c license and car license and of course one from my home country. 

Just to clear things up if I may, and if I am correct, as I am only as good as my enquiries allow me to be at the time.

I also got a Thai drivers and riders drivers licence when I moved here 2 years ago, the reason being that your home country licence with your IDP is only good for 90 days if you are hiring a car or motorbike, if you are driving or riding a friends/family members car/bike, your good for the period of the IDP, usually one year.

That is how I applied it prior to moving here, travel insurance will cover you for the vehicle you are driving/riding, as for Thai insurance companies, unless you had a Thai drivers licence to drive or ride your friends/family members car/bike, they would not cover you as the driver/rider, hence the reason I kept the travel insurance policy for as long as possible, maximum one year, just in case of an accident in the 1st 3 months if I had a hire vehicle, and then afterwards if I was driving/riding a friends car/bike, as I knew the travel insurance policy would kick in for the 3-12 month remaining period.

So just to clear it up, it is 90 days on an IDP for hire cars/bikes, after that what the expiry date is on the IDP.

Having said the above, I am always open to be corrected if I am found to be wrong, which is rare 555

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Thailand does recognise foreign driving licences....the problem for many tourists is that they don't carry the International driving permit alongside them.

And if they have it isn't valid for a motorcycle.

6 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

Really! I've an International license. So I should carry my British license to be Legal? 

The two go hand in hand, International Driving Permit IDP and your licence from abroad, that has not expired.

90 days maximum for hire cars/bikes, after that period you can ride or drive in Thailand until the IDP expires, usually 12 months maximum, which will allow you to drive a private car or ride a bike after the 90 day period, if you chose to hire, if not, its good for a year for private vehicles, i.e. non hired cars/bikes.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

And if they have it isn't valid for a motorcycle.

To ride a bike, they must also have a valid motorcycle licence from their country with the International Driving Permit IDP, otherwise they shouldn't be on a bike.

The Thai police mostly accept just an English language driving licence. By law any foreign Driving License is supposed to be presented along with an IDP. In practice that is usually, but not always waived.

There was one time that a cop thought he was smart in requesting an IDP along with my home country licence.... I just acted dumb, and he gave up hassling. Since then I got a Thai Driving Licence.

Nowadays, although many / most countries require an IDP, there are quite a few that now have standardised licences that include an English translation, Thailand being one of them. Most of countries recognise each other's licences, without the need for an IDP....... most would recognise the Thai Driving Licence.

Edited by Aj Mick

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after that you needed to get a Thai one (the law is similar in other countries). But now it seems that is not true in Phuket, It is crazy to ask tourists to get a Thai drivers license. For expats longer here then 90 days its perfectly normal and good according to international law. Its just that many expats are lazy to do so. I got both a Thai m/c license and car license and of course one from my home country. 

The police are ignoring this agreement and using it as a method to cash grab. Shame on the foreign tourist police helping them. 

The scam in Chiang Mai is the police are fining tourists on bikes with legit licenses claiming tourists are not permitted to drive outside of the city limits. 1000b fine.

Traffic police in Thailand need to be checked. International agreements are in place for a reason.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regardless of whether Thailand accepts an international drivers or not, it is a MUST for any tourist or long stay Xpats to have an IDP as mentioned in one of the posts above, the International Driving Permit along with your country of residence drivers licence/motorcycle riders licence is required, especially to validate your travel insurance policy, i.e. if your policy covers you for scooter hire or motorcycle hire usually under 125cc and of course a helmet, hence the reason that too many tourists in accidents here and Bali to mention two, don't read the disclosure part of their travel insurance and end up with a hefty hospital bill, usually left to others through internet charities to pay.

Overseas tourists that come without an IDP leave themselves open, what's that old saying, "if its not on, its not on" and everyone needs cover.

Even though I have had my Thai licences for a car and motorbike for two years, I still renew my "back home" drivers and motorcycle licence because it is required when I return home, especially for travel insurance to cover the motor vehicle side of insurance back home, i.e. the waiver/excess payable. 

I had one of the scammers stop me near RAM Hospital and try to ticket me because he claimed I needed an IDP along side my Thai license because I am a farang. I didn’t waste my breath talking to him and went straight to the supervisor on location and dealt with him who shockingly said I was correct.

These clowns will scam you if they think they can get away with it. I feel sorry for tourists who are afraid of them and get milked for BS charges. The police are already an embarrassment here but the traffic police are the absolute worst.

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

The police are ignoring this agreement and using it as a method to cash grab. Shame on the foreign tourist police helping them.

If you have a valid foreign driver's license AND a valid IDP, and you haven't been in Thailand for more than 90 days, the police will do absolutely nothing. You are not in violation of any Thai law. There is no cash grab going on.

However, IF you have been inside Thailand for more than 90 days, you are required to have a valid Thai driver's license, even though the IDP is valid for one year. That simply means you can continue to use it while driving in other countries, just not in Thailand.

The scam in Chiang Mai is the police are fining tourists on bikes with legit licenses claiming tourists are not permitted to drive outside of the city limits. 1000b fine.

Right.....  You heard this from a friend whose brother-in-law told him.

International agreements are in place for a reason.

As far as I can see, those agreements are being followed by Thai police.

As long as you are following Thai law, you'll never have a problem. Although, in truth, some people seem to have problems no matter where they go or what they do!

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regardless of whether Thailand accepts an international drivers or not, it is a MUST for any tourist or long stay Xpats to have an IDP as mentioned in one of the posts above, the International Driving Permit along with your country of residence drivers licence/motorcycle riders licence is required, especially to validate your travel insurance policy, i.e. if your policy covers you for scooter hire or motorcycle hire usually under 125cc and of course a helmet, hence the reason that too many tourists in accidents here and Bali to mention two, don't read the disclosure part of their travel insurance and end up with a hefty hospital bill, usually left to others through internet charities to pay.

Overseas tourists that come without an IDP leave themselves open, what's that old saying, "if its not on, its not on" and everyone needs cover.

Even though I have had my Thai licences for a car and motorbike for two years, I still renew my "back home" drivers and motorcycle licence because it is required when I return home, especially for travel insurance to cover the motor vehicle side of insurance back home, i.e. the waiver/excess payable. 

I had one of the scammers stop me near RAM Hospital and try to ticket me because he claimed I needed an IDP along side my Thai license because I am a farang. I didn’t waste my breath talking to him and went straight to the supervisor on location and dealt with him who shockingly said I was correct.

These clowns will scam you if they think they can get away with it. I feel sorry for tourists who are afraid of them and get milked for BS charges. The police are already an embarrassment here but the traffic police are the absolute worst.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I thought you could officially drive half a year or 90 days on your own driving-license but after ...

No, normally you need an international driver's license. Some police officers accept the national driver's license because they do not know what a national or international driver's license looks like. And many can not read our font.

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Your in Thailand.. take a translator with you or be able to speak sufficient Thai to go through it. I remember the uproar in our country when they started providing goverment brochures in Turkish, Arabic ect. People were also saying should speak the language of the country your in. I have done the driving license myself and with translator (GF) both are not that hard to do. Just make sure you got the right documents. Because I have 2 licenses I have been through the process here around 6 times now in my 10 years here.

How do you know it's not hard to bring my wife? She has an important job mate and not many holidays. She uses all her holidays to go to Holland/Europe with me.

It's just a big joke that i even need her for the immigration cause they can't spea inlit there...Would you also say they all have to speak Thai there?

In Holland everything is in several languages now, i don't agree with that but that's how it is.

Also i don't see why i need a Thai driverslicense since there are no rules at all on the road.

23 minutes ago, Thian said:

Also i don't see why i need a Thai driverslicense since there are no rules at all on the road.

Well... actually, there ARE rules. They just aren't followed very often. If the police were to enforce the traffic rules, there might actually be a reduction in road fatalities. Unfortunately, that would require that the police got out on the roads and stop the reckless drivers, stop people from going through red lights, stopped people from making right turns from left-hand lanes, and enforced the use of turn signals before turning rather than just for decoration. But... as we know... getting out on the road might be considered too dangerous. Roadblocks and tickets for license and helmet infractions are much safer and bring in just as much income for the Widows and Orphan's Fund.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Amusing,  how much attention (with assorted hassles) is given to the various administrative issues regarding farangs in Thailand....when so much is there to clear up internally.....something about killing the goose with the golden eggs did you say ?....:sorry:

6 hours ago, wabothai said:

It's much cheaper to get a few tickets than to get an international DL.

Rubbish. An IDP costs 5.50

quid at a Post office, RAC or AA. Bht 1500. Then your insurance is valid as well

Edited by wgdanson

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Half a year, or 90 days.....quite a difference.

It's even 60 days, after that you have to go out of thailand and come back to have another 60 days.

In Holland they told me the IDL is valid for a year, so i asked them specifically if i could use it nonstop in Thailand and they said yes.....But i bet they don't know the rules for sure, like me and you.

9 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I agree to a point, but the UK does not require a IDP, just a valid driving licence, as long as the holder has not been in the UK for more than a year whereby they will require a British Driving licence.

Just now, Basil B said:

I agree to a point, but the UK does not require a IDP, just a valid driving licence, as long as the holder has not been in the UK for more than a year whereby they will require a British Driving licence.

Maybe time Thailand was to have a grown up attitude too. 

Just now, Basil B said:

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

According to the AA you do need an IDP. However, I have been stopped driving on my UK licence several times and no questions asked, ever.

I was led to believe that an IDP is merely a translation into English, of your UK license. It costs about 30 quid at a Post Office, AA or RAC.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp-country-list

Sorry, 5.50 at the Post Office.

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

That's hilarious, keystone traffic cops, not even good enough to direct traffic at school crossings