Homework relief in the works for school students

snoop1130

Homework relief in the works for school students

By The Nation

e50e96d6251e4c596ba2fb3c6d1f9cc7.jpeg

File photo

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has called for a reduction of students’ homework load.

The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) has drawn up guidelines on how teachers can reduce home assignments. 

Obec secretary-general Boonrux Yodpheth said on Wednesday that teachers who were in charge of the same class, for example, should be able to plan together as to how to evaluate their students based on the same homework. 

“Joint planning will enable such an evaluation,” he said. 

Boonrux also emphasised that home assignments should be appropriate to students’ age.

“When giving homework, teachers should also take into account the time and resources required,” he said.

He said students in Prathom 1-3 levels should spend just 30 to 60 minutes on homework each day; those in Prathom 4-6 classes should spend 60 to 90 minutes a day, while Mathayom or secondary students should spend no more than two hours a day on homework. 

Boonrux said the prime minister had nudged the Education Ministry to draw up guidelines to reduce the homework burden after hearing accounts of how children were weighed down by their work load.

“Social media are rife with comments on how the huge homework load has adversely affected children’s lives, causing stress, depriving them of time to develop other skills or to spend time with their family,” he said. 

Boonrux believed the integrated homework approach should be easy to implement for teachers at small schools where there were just a few teachers in charge. 

“At bigger schools, teachers should try to work together in implementing the homework-reduction guidelines introduced by Obec,” he said. 

He added that his agency would monitor progress on how the guidelines were being followed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335303

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-3

Honestly they have no idea of what's going on, & this would even make the teachers job more easier

" Give the students home work to suite their age " Really !!! - So what else would you give them ?

Then there's the bit about to much 

* 90% of parents would be doing half of their home work

* Then there is that extra hour after school (at additional cost of course ) - obviuosly don't get taught enough during hrs 

* & finally one more that all of Asia seem to do - The weekend schooling (for my son ) 1hr Sat / 2 hr Sun - To learn the same S**t* that should be taught in schools 

** Add on to that for my son since first & last on the bus run equates to a 12 hr day without home work, then home work from the weekend crap

*** As mentioned on many threads it's all about money as many of the kids are far below Western education at time of graduation with all this teaching & starting at ridiculous ages

I' m in the process of changing schools to cut the young lads hrs down & as in another thread I mentioned they increased the fees 20% in the last yr 

8 minutes ago, Rhys said:

Hire a director of education that is not a politician, get rid of bogus teaching council....keep some of the over 60 still productive teachers that want and have skills.. Have prerequisites for some university courses... Reward the teachers that have shown excellence as teachers not researchers. Pay them appropriately...

Pay them appropriately !

That would only increase fees & as mentioned in other topics of Falang businesses that they tried that with no result

& the over 60's are the ones holding back the system as others have mentioned they feel threatened to have change incase they lost their job leaving them debt ridden (stature )

PS : Don't know about Thai teachers but I did see an add for Falang teachers where I plan to send young lad 60,000 mth for 20 hrs week + 5000 housing 

Edited by BEVUP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while Mathayom or secondary students should spend no more than two hours a day on homework.

I'm pretty sure my Mattayom students spent no more than 2 minutes per day on homework, except for copying off the smart girl during my class for their next class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If teachers [were able to teach]/[actually taught] the students, and the students paid attention to the teachers, then homework would become less necessary.

In the UK, I had no homework until I entered Grammar School at age 11, and then it was no more than 90 minutes a day at the most.

The education system in Thailand is faulty from the top down. And it will never change no matter what anyone says. 

I have been involved in the system here in one way or another since 1993, so I have experience of what goes on.

Just saying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Social media are rife with comments on how the huge homework load has adversely affected children’s lives, causing stress, depriving them of time to develop other skills or to spend time with their family,” he said. 

What other skills are they referring to? Like, Facebook, Snapchat, Selfies, ROV and other assorted games...? As for spending time with family, they all just hide in separate corners of the house and play on their phones.

20 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Pay them appropriately !

That would only increase fees & as mentioned in other topics of Falang businesses that they tried that with no result

& the over 60's are the ones holding back the system as others have mentioned they feel threatened to have change incase they lost their job leaving them debt ridden (stature )

PS : Don't know about Thai teachers but I did see an add for Falang teachers where I plan to send young lad 60,000 mth for 20 hrs week + 5000 housing 

...not many of those types of opportunities...more the well to do, well connected, international schools.  On the college level, it is a different set of protocols and abuses.  YES, agreed, there are some teachers who retired well before official retirement age and just collect salary... Want the quality you pay for it... Even the well to do Thai send their kids abroad... but they are lucky and can do.  However, for Joe Somchai, they deal with the revolving wannabes as Educational administrators, promoting their own agenda and wallets.  That time of year and is it time for a new education minister?   How many so far?  Thus they follow the best advertisements and the best lobbyists by so-called educational corporations....and institutes... and what is the final outcome... A nice conference, report, and dinner... on the people.

• 6 months later...