PM backs down as ‘puppy-gate’ graft inquiry piles pressure on alleged govt corruption

webfact

PM backs down as ‘puppy-gate’ graft inquiry piles pressure on alleged govt corruption

By THE NATION

c0e427f3d480f936ecdcd92cf2cfcf9a.jpeg

KEY GOVERNMENT figures drawn into “puppy-gate” yesterday appeared to be trying to distance themselves from the controversy after the matter was brought to the anti-graft agency.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha offered to sell pricey pedigree puppies that he had bought from local breeders during his Cabinet’s recent retreat in Phitsanulok. 

45390c2c004b9311cc65c6ec46326699.jpeg

The move came after Srisuwan Janya, secretary-general of the Association for the Protection of the Thai Constitution, petitioned the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), seeking an investigation to determine whether the prime minister had condoned violations of the anti-graft law that prohibits public officials from accepting gifts valued at more than Bt3,000.

28de216db0c15f72ee0f23ad464b8456.jpeg

Prayut previously had said he would give puppies to both Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda and Deputy Prime Minister Chatchai Sarikalya. 

The prime minister bought three young dogs belonging to the famous Bangkaew breed for Bt25,000, although the market price was Bt6,000 for each puppy. He said the extra money was meant to encourage local breeders. 

7e21e11f80a717dd728e97c7ffa204a6.jpeg

Prayut yesterday was asked to comment on the possibility that his gifts to fellow Cabinet members could constitute a violation of the anti-corruption law. He responded: “I have not yet received any of the puppies that I paid for. Anyone interested may buy them from me.”

“I was just being considerate [of the breeders],” he said during his weekly press briefing at Government House. “The extra money was for vaccination and transport costs. 

“I’m aware of the law,” he added. “[Anupong] told me he has to care for his dogs at home first,” Prayut said in an apparent joke.

Meanwhile, Anupong said he was aware that it was against the law for public office holders to accept gifts worth more than Bt3,000 and he would not accept a puppy from the prime minister because he knew that its price exceeded that amount. When asked to comment about Srisuwan’s petition with the NACC, the interior minister said the whistle-blower had the right to file it.

01d433a6645f794d64413d3042b853d4.jpeg

Also yesterday, Saner Chanput, the dog breeder from whom the premier bought the puppies, said Phitsanulok livestock authorities would deliver them|to Prayut after they were vaccinated. 

The chief provincial livestock official, Thawat Pumnak, said the 47-day-old puppies would get the necessary vaccinations and later be delivered to the prime minister when they were healthy enough.

In a separate development, the NACC called a press conference for tomorrow to update its progress on the investigation into several graft complaints, including regarding the possession of a luxury watch by Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, the NACC’s newly appointed secretary-general Worawit Sukboon said yesterday.

The agency launched an investigation a month ago into how and when Prawit acquired luxury watches and a diamond ring, since he had not included watches or rings in his list of assets submitted to the NACC in 2014 when he took office. 

Prawit was caught by social media users wearing a multi-million-baht luxury watch about one month ago, leading to a deepening scandal. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335331

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-04

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Just blame the dogs for being overvalued, and file the case as solved.

:smile: Believe me, 6,000 baht for a Bangkaew pup is really cheap up here in Phits.

Even though it exceeds the 3,000 baht limit, seems like the PM is being a cheap charlie on this as well.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Srisuwan Janya ... petitioned the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC), seeking an investigation to determine whether the prime minister had condoned violations of the anti-graft law ...

Given he's now looking to sell them, better change the complaint to one of ethics and conflict of interest.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

:smile: Believe me, 6,000 baht for a Bangkaew pup is really cheap up here in Phits.

Even though it exceeds the 3,000 baht limit, seems like the PM is being a cheap charlie on this as well.

They look lovely dogs! 

Thanks for your comments on prices. I know pedigree breeds are expensive here but had no idea on these.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yeas, I know it´s a cheap price. I was just referring to the most psyschopathic conflict resolution all the incredible masterminds here can come up with if they swing the head to the right with all their might, and then let it swing back towards each other. I believe, as usual, that is to be called an explosion of nonsense. :cheesy:

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

They look lovely dogs! 

Thanks for your comments on prices. I know pedigree breeds are expensive here but had no idea on these.

Of course they are, until another idiot buys them only to leave them out all day while they are at work, never taken for walks and end up barking all day at anything that moves due to boredom and stress. Most Thais are clueless about looking after dogs and are irresponsible owners. Owning chickens rather than pedigree show off dogs is more their line. 

We had 2 huskies, dobermans and even a St Bernard near us, all dead now or dumped.

Edited by Orton Rd

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Of course they are, until another idiot buys them only to leave them out all day while they are at work, never taken for walks and end up barking all day at anything that moves due to boredom and stress. Most Thais are clueless about looking after dogs and are irresponsible owners. Owning chickens rather than pedigree show off dogs is more their line. 

We had 2 huskies, dobermans and even a St Bernard near us, all dead now or dumped.

Whilst the story of the poor dogs near you is appalling, can you explain how that qualifies you to make the assertion that "most Thais are clueless"?

Or are you just Thai bashing?

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Whilst the story of the poor dogs near you is appalling, can you explain how that qualifies you to make the assertion that "most Thais are clueless"?

Or are you just Thai bashing?

Just experience, we have 12 dogs around our house, all left out while the so called owners are at work, none ever taken for a walk, except one where the dog was tied to the back of a bike! Then of course there are the millions of soi dogs that originated from dumped pets on the street. Counted 42 of those yesterday between our house and the 5 kilometers to the main road!

Edited by Orton Rd

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Just experience, we have 12 dogs around our house, all left out while the so called owners are a work, none ever taken for a walk, except one where the dog was tied to the back of a bike! Then of course there are the millions of soi dogs that originated from dumped pets on the street. Counted 42 of those yesterday between our house and the 5 kilometers to the main road!

Your experience is limited to your local area then. Which hardly qualifies as "most Thais" given the population of 65m.

My experience is different. In our area the people with dogs look after them very nicely, in most cases. Huskies, Labradors, Beadles, Fox Hounds and Alsatians all live happily around here. And our Mobaan is strict on picking up your dogs mess. Some Soi Dogs come in and get looked after by some people, including the security guys. 

I have several Thai friends who are vets; own pet supply / care businesses and some who train their dogs as search and rescue volunteers. 

Yes, in the wider local area there are dogs that aren't so well cared for. Kept in the gardens really to deter burglars and trespassers and the Soi dogs.

I wouldn't like to guestimate the number of Soi and Temple dogs. A lot but "millions" might be excessive as a guess.

I'd suggest Thailand is like other countries. Plenty of dog lovers who do know how to look after their pets and some who don't and a few who shouldn't be allowed to own them. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The prime minister bought three young dogs belonging to the famous Bangkaew breed for Bt25,000, although the market price was Bt6,000 for each puppy. He said the extra money was meant to encourage local breeders. 

encourage local breeders. ??????

Crimony! Just what Thailand needs...more frickin' dogs!

Prawit stonewalls questions about luxury watches

Thailand, India Risk Landing on Currency Manipulator Watchlist

Sounds like we need a Watchlist for more than just currency manipulation. Well, there's all those swanky watches, for starters, and now these puppies. . .

Edited by Krataiboy