Retired British postman claims Thai woman stole his pension - overstayed working on a construction site!

webfact

2 minutes ago, falangjim said:

He told police that he found a Thai girlfriend and moved in to her home. 

Eh?  If he moved into her home, why hasn't he been able to recuperate his funds, documents, and ATM card?  Foreigners just don't move into a Thai person's home.  There's usually some kind of ceremony welcoming the person to the village. There is a lot more to this loser's story than what is in print.  And why are the three veiled women in the police office?  What was their crime?  Story is pretty lousy,  Nation/Thai Visa.  Get some decent writers.

Majority of the comments are in favour of the 'supposed victim' :cheesy:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a communication backup, if you don't have a Skype account, get one, and put $50 in it for that time when all your money had gone, mobile stolen, and cards.

Then you just get to an Internet cafe and for the 10 Baht you hopefully have in your pockets somewhere, make that call to the banks and get someone to send you a little cash to get buy on, using Western Union or similar. When my bank in Melbourne has stopped Internation withdrawals as a security measure, (Going to a country I hadn't told them about) .. a call is all it takes to get things unlocked, or indeed order a new card.

Just as a communication backup, if you don't have a Skype account, get one, and put $50 in it for that time when all your money's gone, mobile stolen, and cards.

Then you just get to an Internet cafe and for the 10 Baht you hopefully have in your pockets somewhere, make that call to the banks and get someone to send you a little cash to get by on until a replacement card arrives (using Western Union or similar). When my bank in Melbourne has stopped International withdrawals as a security measure, (Going to a country I hadn't told them about) .. a call is all it takes to get things unlocked, or indeed order a new card.

21 hours ago, Kerryd said:

He could have had his ATM card cancelled within minutes of noticing it was gone, even if it was from a bank "back home". One phone call is all it takes.

I've called my bank (back home) and credit card company (a few times) over the past 20+ years and that's all it took to get the situation resolved. One call. 

The article doesn't say when the card was "stolen" (or how she knew the PIN, or why he couldn't make that one phone call). Surely he wasn't one of those trying to get by on just 300 GBP (about 13,000 baht) per month with no other savings ? Not to mention the whole "visa/extension of stay" issue.

Just recently  (6 weeks ago) I left my ATM card in a machine by accident. I was in a hurry and using a machine from a different bank and somehow forget to remove the card. Discovered my error the next day when I was 3 provinces away. Called a buddy who went to the machine and, naturally, the card was gone.

Made one phone call to the bank. The lady I spoke to asked my details (name, birthday, passport #) and then cancelled the card. She gave me the account balance as well and it sounded like the right amount. When I got home I went to the bank and was issued a new card (and set a new PIN) and was done in 5 minutes. No problems at all.

Working at a construction site for 50 baht a day ? That sounds pretty hokey as well. I'd be questioning the "boss" of that crew as to why he was hiring foreigners to work in Thai-specific jobs (like masonry, carpentry, etc) and paying well below the minimum daily wage at that ! (From the Ministry of Labour website:)
"

OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS

THE LIST APPENDED TO THE ROYAL DECREE IN B.E.2522

PRESCRIBING OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS PROHIBITED FOR FOREIGN WORKERS 
1.  Labour work;
3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;"

Frak - how many decades would you have to work at 50 baht/day in order to (survive to begin with) and save up enough for a plane ticket ? Even if he was sharing meals (eating for free) and sharing accommodations (living for free), it would still take a full year (365 days straight) to earn the equivalent of about 420 GBPs. 
Of course then there'd still be the whole "overstay" issue (at 500 baht a day).

Not to mention that he could simply go to the Embassy for help as well, even if it was just to contact family/friends or some charity organization maybe.

Believe only half of what you see , 10% of what you hear and a big 0% of what you read, as in this sad story.

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Unfortunately not everyone can be as sharp and clever as you.

Without his original passport no bank here would open an account for him, or even close an existing account, regardless of whether he was an existing customer.

Even with the, very doubtful, intervention of the Embassy (they are  not there to do what you suggest they would do), how, exactly, would his pension be 'sent to him' without a bank account?

He is saying she stole his pension meaning the money he is being sent every month to an account that she now has the ATM card and pin number for so he can't get his money. You say he can't close the account here without documents but he can stop the payments going to that account by calling his retirement board or possibly online.  I can go online  and stop the transfer of my pension to Bangkok Bank without any documentation. If he called to stop his pension going into the bank she has ATM for then she couldn't get any more funds.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:44 AM, colinneil said:

Is the retired postmans name Walter Mitty?

Such a BS story pension 300 a month? Bol++ks, in the photo he looks about retirement age.

So his pension is only 75 pounds a month,i do not get the full pension, but still get more than 40 pounds a week more than that, iffy very iffy.

Well, according to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/632950/RMSPS_ARA_2016_17_HC_257_Web.pdf

The average RM pension expenditures for 2016 was 1.355bn GBP for 395,473 recipients; that is about 286GBP/mo. 2015 was slightly more at 296GBP/mo; so, saying he had 300GBP/mo seems in the ball park

17 hours ago, TechnikaIII said:

Just as a communication backup, if you don't have a Skype account, get one, and put $50 in it for that time when all your money had gone, mobile stolen, and cards.

Then you just get to an Internet cafe and for the 10 Baht you hopefully have in your pockets somewhere, make that call to the banks and get someone to send you a little cash to get buy on, using Western Union or similar. When my bank in Melbourne has stopped Internation withdrawals as a security measure, (Going to a country I hadn't told them about) .. a call is all it takes to get things unlocked, or indeed order a new card.

It might be a great idea to scan all important documents, attach them to an email to yourself and you'll always have a copy of passport, etc....

Is the retired postmans name Walter Mitty?
Such a BS story pension 300 a month? Bol++ks, in the photo he looks about retirement age.
So his pension is only 75 pounds a month,i do not get the full pension, but still get more than 40 pounds a week more than that, iffy very iffy.
57 so possibly company pension but he's not eligible for state pension until at least 65

On 1/5/2018 at 4:11 AM, BangkokNicky said:

Statutory Pension Scheme (RMSPS) and the Royal Mail Pension Plan (RMPP). ..... £26,118 80. £621 x 2.5%. £300 x 2.5%. You also build up a lump sum benefit each year, in a similar manner, of. (typically) three times the value of the pension. 7 ... You will also have the option of taking all your benefits together from age 55.

https://www.royalmailpensionplan.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/rm_section_ab_guide_to_benefits_booklet_pdf_9.08.12.pdf

It is quite possible his pension from RM would be £300 per month it wll depend how long he worked for the company. He says he had taken his pension and it is reported he is 57. If he took his pension before 60 (or for any years he worked post April 2012  before 65) his pension would have been actuarily reduced by 5% per year for each year less than 60 or 65. A lump sum of 3 x the annual pension would have been the norm but that would also have been actuarily reduced. In APRIL 2010  the UK  government changed the rules on pensions as before that date you could take a company pension at 50. At 57 it is possible said Postman was 50 in April 2010 and RM offered all its stakeholders who were over 50 the abilty to take their accrued pension (actuarily reduced of course) at that time.So if he worked for 20 years and took his pension 7 to 10 years years early (losing 40% plus of it) £4000 per year would be about right.

11 hours ago, Tony125 said:

He is saying she stole his pension meaning the money he is being sent every month to an account that she now has the ATM card and pin number for so he can't get his money. You say he can't close the account here without documents but he can stop the payments going to that account by calling his retirement board or possibly online.  I can go online  and stop the transfer of my pension to Bangkok Bank without any documentation. If he called to stop his pension going into the bank she has ATM for then she couldn't get any more funds.

Obviously, I know all that. 

I was commenting on you suggestion that he goes to the bank to close his account and open another...without documents.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:25 PM, TechnikaIII said:

Just as a communication backup, if you don't have a Skype account, get one, and put $50 in it for that time when all your money's gone, mobile stolen, and cards.

Then you just get to an Internet cafe and for the 10 Baht you hopefully have in your pockets somewhere, make that call to the banks and get someone to send you a little cash to get by on until a replacement card arrives (using Western Union or similar). When my bank in Melbourne has stopped International withdrawals as a security measure, (Going to a country I hadn't told them about) .. a call is all it takes to get things unlocked, or indeed order a new card.

Great advice, but $50 is way too much to stick on a Skype account for that 'emergency' purpose.

Do the minimum $10.  The credit does expire after some period.  Better to lost $10 than $50, it takes a lot of calls to use up that much money on Skype

On 05/01/2018 at 10:58 AM, idman said:

Another pathetic ejit from the U.K.  Sorry, this Bozo gets no sympathy, he brought all of this on himself

Another tv poster holier than thou....jeez he is one of many believed a lady in a bar told him hansum man and got ripped. Happens daily and not just to Brits....get real. I assume from the word Ejit ( Irish Slang for idiot) your’e a paddy then....hmmmm hey ho brightest bunch in the world.

1 hour ago, Grauwulf said:

Another tv poster holier than thou....jeez he is one of many believed a lady in a bar told him hansum man and got ripped. Happens daily and not just to Brits....get real. I assume from the word Ejit ( Irish Slang for idiot) your’e a paddy then....hmmmm hey ho brightest bunch in the world.

Ah, that ingrained prejudice towards the country that has produced some of the greatest authors, poets and speakers of the English language

...haven’t heard that since my childhood

... thanks for that

...nice to read. 

53 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah, that ingrained prejudice towards the country that has produced some of the greatest authors, poets and speakers of the English language

... thanks for that

...nice to read. 

And without whom there would be no "Drunken Leprechaun" Pub in Bangkok!!!

On 1/6/2018 at 11:01 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

I guess Nigerians are not people in the Polices eyes??  why not say 4 Nigerians and 4 Malians??:post-4641-1156694572:

Because they are not Asian. Farangs get a bit more privilege.

Asians aren't taught the noble aspects of cultural marxism unlike the west.

On 08/01/2018 at 1:09 AM, Bluespunk said:

... thanks for that

...nice to read. 

Well you did call him a pathetic ejit from the UK is that not prejudiced?

The guy got taken as many do...are they all pathetic or just unlucky, it’s got nothing to do with where your from.

4 minutes ago, Grauwulf said:

Well you did call him a pathetic ejit from the UK is that not prejudiced?

The guy got taken as many do...are they all pathetic or just unlucky, it’s got nothing to do with where your from.

I never called anyone any such thing.

My problem is purely with the type of prejudiced comment you made about the Irish in your post.

On 1/7/2018 at 8:41 PM, Argus Tuft said:

Great advice, but $50 is way too much to stick on a Skype account for that 'emergency' purpose.

Do the minimum $10.  The credit does expire after some period.  Better to lost $10 than $50, it takes a lot of calls to use up that much money on Skype

It's not so much if you have to call people on mobiles. Landlines ok, but calling mobiles is expensive, and more or less so depending on where in the world they are. Anyway, please yourself.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:09 AM, greenchair said:

Leave the poor guy alone. 

On the grand scale of things, he wasn't hurting anyone. 

Everyone gets down on their luck sometimes. 

Why didn't he just say he was picking up stones for his collection. 

The sooner immigration starts to lean really, really heavily on farang retirees' income proof, the better.

They need to come down hard on bent immigration officers by pretending to be retirees using agents to get around the income criteria.

Catch a couple, make an example of them and jokers like this potless postie will be a lot less ubiquitous.

There's no "leave the poor guy alone" about this because, on the "grand scale of things", he was taking food off a poor Thai or Cambodian's table by working in a restricted profession.

Blacklist and deport immediately

Archived