Have you left Thailand ?

superal

1 hour ago, amvet said:

This is Thai Visa and a Thai forum.  Why would people who live in other countries be posting on Thai Visa?  

What kind of question is that?

Do you actually think before you type?

There are probably more members who live in the West than there are who actually live in Thailand.

It's not just for people who live here - it's for those who visit regularly too.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Apart from woman, do you have any other interests ?

A woman in your bed is the most important thing, but is there anything that comes second, or is it just woman and thats it ? nothing else ?

Hmmmm. Can't think of anything else better, but almost as good would have been living in Antarctica. Most amazing place I've ever been in my life. Unfortunately I only worked there for one year, as I met a woman and didn't go back.

Of course I have other things that I like too, hundreds of them.

Photography, and exploring new places are up there.

1 hour ago, Thai Ron said:

Well I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who evidently doesn't give a toss about the poor girl whose in bed with you at the time of your demise.

LOL. It's hardly likely to cause PTSD, and it's not like it would be unexpected.

The thing that you may not know about Thais is that most of them are Buddhist and believe in reincarnation, so they don't get all traumatised by natural events like death as much as westerners that think this life is sooooooo important that they have to cling on till the last possible painful minute, no matter what.

1 hour ago, Thai Ron said:

Well I wouldn't expect anything else from someone who evidently doesn't give a toss about the poor girl whose in bed with you at the time of your demise.

Moreover, I think it's incredibly sad that someone chooses where they live based on its proximity to a brothel.

Congratulations, mate........you got life SO right

Given that this thread has deviated into the usual subject, it might be better in Farang Pub sub forum.

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Tell us about the Vietnamese retirement visa and the banks where you can have your Social Security and Pension direct deposited and the places like Pattaya and the beer bar areas and go go dance clubs.

I have lived in Bangkok, Pattaya, Siem Reap (briefly), Phnom Penh, Saigon (briefly) and now Vung Tau, but mostly Thailand. 

I've wanted to live in Vietnam for the experience. Been in VT almost 7 months and I'm moving back to Thailand, likely Pattaya, for a few of the reasons Amvet (hilariously and honestly) provided above. There is no retirement visa for Vietnam. All substantial (expensive) visas are available via the back door. Never have to see an immigration officer your entire life except through the airport.

I denied it for a long time but Vung Tau really is a Little Pattaya. Most (mostly Aussie) expat residents have virtually one (maybe two) interests: groping a girl in the girly bars (and drinking cheap beer and hard liquor). We jokingly call Phan Chu Trinh street Soi Pattaya. There are no pubs, only girly bars with closed doors and dark interiors. Cheap booze, expensive companionship. 

What is there to do? Nothing. But it's a pretty, clean low-mountain coastal city with fresh air and constant breezes, and with loads of apartments. Only 2 hours to Saigon. No malls to speak of to buy western clothes and other goods, although there are a couple of western specialty stores.

Oh, medical care is substandard and in some cases, dire. The only reputable hospital is the French-Vietnam Hospital in District 7, HCMC, about 1.5 hours away.

Why go back? Tired of girly bars, fear of poor medical treatment, worry about dodgy food (multiple reports of raids on disgusting markets and slaughter houses), dangers of being a pedestrian in a country of the worst drivers/riders I have ever seen (never been to India), Vietnamese language can sometimes be torture to hear, constant scamming by taxi drivers, and last but not least, the girls. They can be beautiful, sweet, very friendly and fun and often have good to decent English in VT, but they are relentlessly practical, which comes across as having hearts of steel. Stands them in good stead in a country with no social safety net.  

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that this thread has deviated into the usual subject, it might be better in Farang Pub sub forum.

Sorry but weren't you the one who added to the deviation (initiated by "amvet") by introducing the "dying in bed with a prostitute" as being your ideal way to go?

12 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Sorry but weren't you the one who added to the deviation (initiated by "amvet") by introducing the "dying in bed with a prostitute" as being your ideal way to go?

They are more likely to die tapping on their keyboards anyway......

Cheer up Thai Ron-I am sure that they will be good for a coupla thousand more posts.

2 hours ago, amvet said:

This is Thai Visa and a Thai forum.  Why would people who live in other countries be posting on Thai Visa?  Why not discuss the pros and cons of living in Thailand vs another country then the people who live here would have a form of reference to the OP.  I would think the topic, "have you left Thailand" includes why and why not.  Unless this is another Thai bashing thread.  If it is just another Thai bashing thread then I do see your point.

It is certainly not a Thai bashing thread and there are many who no longer live in Thailand but continue to be readers of     TVF . So do you believe that all readers here are living full time in Thailand ? Apart from that I am sure that there are readers who have stayed or lived in or moved to other Asian locations at some time and I would like to hear their    stories . I recall a post where maybe a year ago a westerner living in Sri Lanka posted here and said that it was Utopia . This forum gives us free speech if in a sensible mode and I am surprised that your interpretation has a twist on it . 

17 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

No -- that first came Page 2 Post (as of now) #16.

Edited by JLCrab

love your attitude amvet.i'm 95 .was shot 5 times in war,had three heart attacks,numerous stints and pacemaker. work out lighty 5 days a week. have sex at least 10 times a week.take 4 heart medications and viagro.decided to marry no decease problems to worry .don. 't have to lift a finger to do anything and i'm happy. and i play bridge. the thais i know are great people.

I moved to China after 8 years in Thailand. Been here for over a year now and just back from a Christmas/NY break to LOS. I have to say I love living in China even though right now it's freezing cold and there are snow remnants on the ground with more forecast. The visa thing is far easier here - there's a significant paper chase at the beginning but if successful it results in a residence permit, valid for 12 months, and with this in the holder's passport, s/he can come and go in and out of China as often as they wish during its validity; no 90 days reporting. Relatively straightforward bringing in dependents so long as you have the documentation. I doubt retirees, non-investors or those seeking long term residence would be eligible for official resident status but they should be able to get tourist visas quite simply. It's impossible to compare the two countries because they are so different. I really miss Thai food. However this is a really smart place and it is really astonishing what you can do here with a mobile phone linked to a bank account. Pollution is a palpable issue but it is relatively easy to avoid the worst places - information about levels is readily available. If I can keep going the plan is to flake out in the Philippines about age 70 but that is some time away ...

Edited by gerryBScot

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have lived in Bangkok, Pattaya, Siem Reap (briefly), Phnom Penh, Saigon (briefly) and now Vung Tau, but mostly Thailand. 

I've wanted to live in Vietnam for the experience. Been in VT almost 7 months and I'm moving back to Thailand, likely Pattaya, for a few of the reasons Amvet (hilariously and honestly) provided above. There is no retirement visa for Vietnam. All substantial (expensive) visas are available via the back door. Never have to see an immigration officer your entire life except through the airport.

I denied it for a long time but Vung Tau really is a Little Pattaya. Most (mostly Aussie) expat residents have virtually one (maybe two) interests: groping a girl in the girly bars (and drinking cheap beer and hard liquor). We jokingly call Phan Chu Trinh street Soi Pattaya. There are no pubs, only girly bars with closed doors and dark interiors. Cheap booze, expensive companionship. 

What is there to do? Nothing. But it's a pretty, clean low-mountain coastal city with fresh air and constant breezes, and with loads of apartments. Only 2 hours to Saigon. No malls to speak of to buy western clothes and other goods, although there are a couple of western specialty stores.

Oh, medical care is substandard and in some cases, dire. The only reputable hospital is the French-Vietnam Hospital in District 7, HCMC, about 1.5 hours away.

Why go back? Tired of girly bars, fear of poor medical treatment, worry about dodgy food (multiple reports of raids on disgusting markets and slaughter houses), dangers of being a pedestrian in a country of the worst drivers/riders I have ever seen (never been to India), Vietnamese language can sometimes be torture to hear, constant scamming by taxi drivers, and last but not least, the girls. They can be beautiful, sweet, very friendly and fun and often have good to decent English in VT, but they are relentlessly practical, which comes across as having hearts of steel. Stands them in good stead in a country with no social safety net.  

YEP !!....you definitely have been to Vung Tau...:cheesy:

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, amvet said:

onI would have gone somewhere else except my Social Security and VA pension are direct deposit to my Thai bank account and the VA pays for my health care in a Thai hospital (FMP) also medications are cheap and I can buy them from the pharmacy myself.  My internet is 200Mbps/100Mbps and the Lotus where I shop has three discount brothels attached that sponsor local farm girls who can attend college and only have to work on weekends and holidays after their homework is done.  

I'd go somewhere else if the infrastructure was equivalent and the women readily available for old fellas like myself.  Vietnam has monopoly money, Cambodia has Hun sen, Laos and Burma are still in the Middle ages for so many things.  Muslims scare me and Singapore is too expensive and Chinese people dirty and spit and poop everywhere.  But I'll keep looking.  

Spot on, !!

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, you seem to be set in your ways; why don't you just stay in Thailand. There is no need for the retirement visa hassle as in Thailand, simply $200 a year and endless back to back 3 month visas with a trip out in between--which I do anyway. I like to travel to see friends in SEA, but you could always do a cheapy overland Cambodia or Laos trip, which I would do sometimes when not travelling back to the Philippines or Thailand. I do not do direct deposit of my monies nor do I need the places like Pattaya, or the beer bars and gogo girls. However, there are many available girls, bars and even places like Pattaya--try Vung Tau for starters. And, as I said, the Vietnamese girls are more attractive, to me--and I am the only one who counts.

Let me know if you don't know what, "Op di loy" means.  It is kind of funny someone telling me about Vietnam all things considered it brought a smile to my face.  

Edited by amvet

Am Vet makes some really good points and is honest about being in Thailand.  Since I have almost 5 decades of involvement with Thailand- I remember a different; more laid back Thailand with better weather; no pollution and more attractive  and gentler ladies.  Thailand has adopted too much of the West in the large cities and its resorts are way overbuilt. 

However, when compared to the other Asian cities it's got great infrastructure; great food and wonderful healthcare.  If I was younger and not married - I might give the Philippines or Cambodia a try simply because they remind me of  how Thailand was 50 years ago (except for the traffic).

28 minutes ago, amvet said:

Let me know if you don't know what, "Op di loy" means.  It is kind of funny someone telling me about Vietnam all things considered it brought a smile to my face.  

My God....I think I regonized a couple of those voices in the background...

That Song has been around VT since the 1960's....came with the influx of R&R American Soldiers...

Except for Tommys Bar....There is not so many bars left now compared to the 1990's.

Anyone remember the Purple Night Bar?

Back on Topic....Everywhere you go is what you make it.  Vietnam has excellent Western food, if you take the time to find out where to get it. It's matter of choice...

1 minute ago, weegee said:

My God....I think I regonized a couple of those voices in the background...

That Song has been around VT since the 1960's....came with the influx of R&R American Soldiers...

Except for Tommys Bar....There is not so many bars left now compared to the 1990's.

Anyone remember the Purple Night Bar?

Back on Topic....Everywhere you go is what you make it.  Vietnam has excellent Western food, if you take the time to find out where to get it. It's matter of choice...

Except "Op di loy" is not about American soldiers.  Ask any lady from Vietnam what it means. 

Considering the Philippines but my wife is Thai so I am in family prison :)

Oh I would move to the cordillera area (Banaue, Banguet or Tueguegarao).

Else Palawan but....

Philippines there is cool and people speak and write english better.

But they have a weird president there................

My initial choices were Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and China, because I had worked in each previously. Knew nothing about Vietnam or the Philippines. Chose Thailand, as I had enjoyed working there the most.

A tossup between Thailand and Vietnam, after I holidayed in Vietnam. Much better breakfasts there, but after that it descends into variations of pho bo and spring rolls for lunch and dinner. I could live in Dalat or Danang. Women more bulky than the Thais, depends on what you prefer.. Golf expensive.

Maddening as Thailand can sometimes be,  I can't see any reason to move.The good outweighs the bad.

On 06/01/2018 at 3:14 PM, amvet said:

I would have gone somewhere else except my Social Security and VA pension are direct deposit to my Thai bank account and the VA pays for my health care in a Thai hospital (FMP) also medications are cheap and I can buy them from the pharmacy myself.  My internet is 200Mbps/100Mbps and the Lotus where I shop has three discount brothels attached that sponsor local farm girls who can attend college and only have to work on weekends and holidays after their homework is done.  

I'd go somewhere else if the infrastructure was equivalent and the women readily available for old fellas like myself.  Vietnam has monopoly money, Cambodia has Hun sen, Laos and Burma are still in the Middle ages for so many things.  Muslims scare me and Singapore is too expensive and Chinese people dirty and spit and poop everywhere.  But I'll keep looking.  

That'll be a 'no' then?

yes, i left cause i got too much pain to do any more visa runs or sitting in a school bench,

i moved to cambodia, little did i know they got no quality mattresses here so i ended up in even more agonizing pain

1 hour ago, amvet said:

You a Vietnam expert are you? It's "Uc dai loy" and was a name for Australians. Although an American, I spent some time with the SASR at Dirt Hill. I remember lyrics to more of the GI war songs--many in a similar vane, "No have no money no can buy Tea, perhaps you go PX for me, buy Salem, whiskey, and brandy, tonight I sleep with you for free . . ." or "We're advisers from MAG and we write every day, to our fellow advisers in the old USA,  against the VC we're not doing to well, but if DFs were cordite, we'd be all blown to hell; how the hell can it be, let's go down to Tu Do and drink 33"

However, I digress from the topic. Given better infrastructure, I believe there will be lots of foreigners choosing Vietnam over Thailand. That infrastructure is coming with the continued growth of Trade and FDI in Vietnam.

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You a Vietnam expert are you? It's "Uc dai loy" and was a name for Australians. Although an American, I spent some time with the SASR at Dirt Hill. I remember lyrics to more of the GI war songs--many in a similar vane, "No have no money no can buy Tea, perhaps you go PX for me, buy Salem, whiskey, and brandy, tonight I sleep with you for free . . ." or "We're advisers from MAG and we write every day, to our fellow advisers in the old USA,  against the VC we're not doing to well, but if DFs were cordite, we'd be all blown to hell; how the hell can it be, let's go down to Tu Do and drink 33"

However, I digress from the topic. Given better infrastructure, I believe there will be lots of foreigners choosing Vietnam over Thailand. That infrastructure is coming with the continued growth of Trade and FDI in Vietnam.

Spot on....

On 1/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, amvet said:

Somehow you missed dissing on the Phils... Would have loved to hear your take on that little piece of heaven... :smile:

5 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Moreover, I think it's incredibly sad that someone chooses where they live based on its proximity to a brothel.

Congratulations, mate........you got life SO right

Just a bit judgemental aren't you? If he is single and enjoys the company of a beautiful lass in his bed; what business is it of yours? If she is willing and he can rationalize the money for pleasure formula, what is the problem?  I have always felt your retirement years were best used doing what you like to do as long as you can. Some men have wives and family around them in their sunset years, others are single and still have a party or two left in them. Of course, being financially secure and reasonably healthy is the key which allows you to choose. The worst of all worlds are those who spend their retirement living as cheaply as possible and forgoing what they need or would rather be doing.

7 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

To answer the OP directly yes, I lived in Bangkok for many years.  I decided I wanted to try another Country, but remain in SE Asia.  I visited all the other SE Asian Countries (except East Timor obviously) and discovered the Philippines.

It's not perfect - no place is.  But it's quite beautiful.  And English is widely spoken.

I agree, the Philippines is a good alternative. Although, problems such as crime, corruption, poor infrastructure and what I call the Philippine Trifecta--no water, no paper, and no toilet seat--are rampant. The Filipinos speak English, are more culturally Latin due to the predominance of Catholicism and a dwindling Spanish influence. More importantly, the women are pleasing and agreeable, the thousands of islands offer limitless beaches and mountains, and the corruption is so good, that just about anything can be fixed with money.

4 hours ago, irish jack said:

love your attitude amvet.i'm 95 .was shot 5 times in war,had three heart attacks,numerous stints and pacemaker. work out lighty 5 days a week. have sex at least 10 times a week.take 4 heart medications and viagro.decided to marry no decease problems to worry .don. 't have to lift a finger to do anything and i'm happy. and i play bridge. the thais i know are great people.

More power to you Jack, I am a relative youngster at 73. You are my new hero.

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

Back on topic :)

I left Phuket in 2016 after living/working there for 14 years.

I moved to work in Naypyidaw, (Myanmar).

No regrets at all, no plans to return to Phuket.

Why don't you elaborate a bit on the pluses and minuses of Myanmar vs Thailand.

If I recall, you're working there in some capacity. I don't know what the visa situation in Myanmar is for westerners who may be retired.