Have you left Thailand ?

superal

4 hours ago, gerryBScot said:

I moved to China after 8 years in Thailand. Been here for over a year now and just back from a Christmas/NY break to LOS. I have to say I love living in China even though right now it's freezing cold and there are snow remnants on the ground with more forecast. The visa thing is far easier here - there's a significant paper chase at the beginning but if successful it results in a residence permit, valid for 12 months, and with this in the holder's passport, s/he can come and go in and out of China as often as they wish during its validity; no 90 days reporting. Relatively straightforward bringing in dependents so long as you have the documentation. I doubt retirees, non-investors or those seeking long term residence would be eligible for official resident status but they should be able to get tourist visas quite simply. It's impossible to compare the two countries because they are so different. I really miss Thai food. However this is a really smart place and it is really astonishing what you can do here with a mobile phone linked to a bank account. Pollution is a palpable issue but it is relatively easy to avoid the worst places - information about levels is readily available. If I can keep going the plan is to flake out in the Philippines about age 70 but that is some time away ...

Good plan, the PI has some good points, especially for the elderly--the ladies will actually take care of you and there is the no hassle visa situation. The best, if you are inclined to do so in your waning years, is if a foreigner is married to a Filipino/Filipina, they get a one year visa for free, which can be extended for a fee; or simply go on holiday somewhere and return for another free year. If marriage is not for you, then the ever-present problem-reliever, money, does the trick.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

You a Vietnam expert are you? It's "Uc dai loy" and was a name for Australians. Although an American, I spent some time with the SASR at Dirt Hill. I remember lyrics to more of the GI war songs--many in a similar vane, "No have no money no can buy Tea, perhaps you go PX for me, buy Salem, whiskey, and brandy, tonight I sleep with you for free . . ." or "We're advisers from MAG and we write every day, to our fellow advisers in the old USA,  against the VC we're not doing to well, but if DFs were cordite, we'd be all blown to hell; how the hell can it be, let's go down to Tu Do and drink 33"

However, I digress from the topic. Given better infrastructure, I believe there will be lots of foreigners choosing Vietnam over Thailand. That infrastructure is coming with the continued growth of Trade and FDI in Vietnam.

I feel I'm an expert on Thai vs Vietnam women and my expertise spans many decades of cultural change.  My expert opinion is Vietnamese women don't know how to have fun.  Make money sure but have fun?  No.  Sorry I don't find any nationality of woman more beautiful than another.  They are as like as peas in a pod.  

5 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

What kind of question is that?

Do you actually think before you type?

There are probably more members who live in the West than there are who actually live in Thailand.

It's not just for people who live here - it's for those who visit regularly too.

My guess is 80% of posters don't live in Thailand.  Some may have in the past and these are easily recognizable by their bitter and twisted attitude. 

Most likely taken for the lot by an ' uneducated' farm girl. 5555

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmm. Can't think of anything else better, but almost as good would have been living in Antarctica. Most amazing place I've ever been in my life. Unfortunately I only worked there for one year, as I met a woman and didn't go back.

Of course I have other things that I like too, hundreds of them.

Photography, and exploring new places are up there.

Ah... The memories..... Wednesday wank night apparently! 

4 hours ago, amvet said:

Let me know if you don't know what, "Op di loy" means.  It is kind of funny someone telling me about Vietnam all things considered it brought a smile to my face.  

how perfectly charming!...seriously, like 'America' outta the West Side Story 1961 movie...

I got my own Vung Tau story but I won't go into it...

believe I'd head fer Hanoi if things got rough in Thailand...then later to visit friends down in Ha Tinh on the north central coast and when a good sized storm came thru to expose meself to the howlin' hurricane to be carried away...whooosh!...

better than dyin' sick and incontinent in bed inna shop house in rural Suphanburi, I reckon...

oops...don't mean to be off topic...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

8 hours ago, smotherb said:

I see the average Vietnamese is more dependable, harder-working; in fact; quite capable. It is easier to do business in Vietnam and you are much safer on the roads. Housing, utilities, food, and drink prices are cheaper and visa hassles are considerably less in Vietnam--a three -month visa costs about $50, the only requirement is six months validity on your passport, and you can get as many back-to-back visas as you like. I prefer the Vietnamese food, especially the availability of good breads, cheeses, beef, coffee and wine. Western-style foods, based on French and Continental cuisine, is common and you can get the meals for you and friends served at the same time. The Vietnamese women are very attractive and not as paunchy as many Thai women--and the Thai piano-stool calves are uncommon.

Smother, thanks for the informative and constructive post re Vietnam...

Couple questions:

--Are the three month renewable visas done via govt offices or via travel agent types like in Cambodia? And, do you have to leave the country at each renewal or all can be done without leaving?

--Also, how would you rate the general prices and quality of the rental housing there compared to the major cities in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

how perfectly charming!...seriously, like 'America' outta the West Side Story 1961 movie...

I got my own Vung Tau story but I won't go into it...

believe I'd head fer Hanoi if things got rough in Thailand...then later to visit friends down in Ha Tinh on the north central coast and when a good sized storm came thru to expose meself to the howlin' hurricane to be carried away...whooosh!...

better than dyin' sick and incontinent in bed, I reckon...

You know that's a different topic.  If things got rough in Thailand I'd head for Penang I think.  Food and healthcare and visa reasons and I'm already circumcised so no problem with the locals but I'd miss the ladyboys.

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow you missed dissing on the Phils... Would have loved to hear your take on that little piece of heaven... :smile:

I have a lot of friends who are Filipino nationals.  I could live there as I'm an American with a support base there.  I could even go there sick and almost broke and get taken care of.  Old friends.  I know the good and bad.  For me it would be OK for most not so good. 

21 minutes ago, amvet said:

I feel I'm an expert on Thai vs Vietnam women and my expertise spans many decades of cultural change.  My expert opinion is Vietnamese women don't know how to have fun.  Make money sure but have fun?  No.  Sorry I don't find any nationality of woman more beautiful than another.  They are as like as peas in a pod.  

Well, it is apparent we differ; I don't see your Vietnamese women don't have fun. That is a personality trait which is much more individual than national. Looks may also be individual, but some nationalities have similar physical attributes; I like femininity in a woman, which leaves out many Western, Middle Eastern and African women for me. I believe Vietnamese women are very feminine. There are many beautiful Thai women, but I am a leg-man; too many Thai girls have knees wider than their calves--that piano stool-leg effect.

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, it is apparent we differ; I don't see your Vietnamese women don't have fun. That is a personality trait which is much more individual than national. Looks may also be individual, but some nationalities have similar physical attributes; I like femininity in a woman, which leaves out many Western, Middle Eastern and African women for me. I believe Vietnamese women are very feminine. There are many beautiful Thai women, but I am a leg-man; too many Thai girls have knees wider than their calves--that piano stool-leg effect.

My experiences with Vietnam are colored by the war and you have apparently dealt with yours better than I and more power to you for that. I'll never go back to that god forsaken place.  

I'll admit I never heard any funny war songs while in country and your knowledge of music during that period certainly exceeds mine.  

I came to Thailand before the women got fat so I still remember everyone from my youthful experiences and the lights being out I don't seem to notice much difference. 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Smother, thanks for the informative and constructive post re Vietnam...

Couple questions:

--Are the three month renewable visas done via govt offices or via travel agent types like in Cambodia? And, do you have to leave the country at each renewal or all can be done without leaving?

--Also, how would you rate the general prices and quality of the rental housing there compared to the major cities in Thailand?

The visas are done through government offices, at the airport, online, and through agents--just google Vietnam Visas. I like the old French colonial architecture and there are many houses and apartments which still display that older style in Saigon--sorry, I can't seem to call it Ho Chi Minh. However, more modern styles and the ever-present Chinese shop houses are there too. I find housing of similar quality for less.

However, I digress from the topic. Given better infrastructure, I believe there will be lots of foreigners choosing Vietnam over Thailand. That infrastructure is coming with the continued growth of Trade and FDI in Vietnam.

Especially for older retirees or those heading in that direction, the description you gave above of the state of quality medical care in Vietnam would be a considerable deterrent.

14 minutes ago, smotherb said:

The visas are done through government offices, at the airport, online, and through agents--just google Vietnam Visas.

It sounded from a subsequent post of yours above that an out of country trip -- either by air or land -- is required between the three-month Vietnam visa renewals. I asked about that earlier, but you didn't specifically mention it in your reply here.

As much as I dislike Thailand's 90 day reporting requirement, the current ability for many folks to do it entirely online makes it considerably easier -- and a whole lot easier than being required to take an out-of-country trip every 3 months.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Especially for older retirees or those heading in that direction, the description you gave above of the state of quality medical care in Vietnam would be a considerable deterrent.

in my experience western quality medical care is available in the big towns in VN...but the quality declines sharply out in the provinces...pretty much like Thailand...

it's good to have first class medical insurance if one is concerned about those things...like in most other places...

Good plan, the PI has some good points, especially for the elderly--the ladies will actually take care of you and there is the no hassle visa situation. The best, if you are inclined to do so in your waning years, is if a foreigner is married to a Filipino/Filipina, they get a one year visa for free, which can be extended for a fee; or simply go on holiday somewhere and return for another free year. If marriage is not for you, then the ever-present problem-reliever, money, does the trick.

The easy part re the Phils is the visa part. Some say, there's reasons for that.

For me, the easy visa part, along with the women, tends to be outweighed by:

bad traffic and pollution in the bigger cities, lack of easy public transportation, pervasive poverty, spotty infrastructure such as poor internet and electrical outages, the weather problems associated with recurring typhoons, spotty quality of medical care in many areas, and pretty unappetizing local foods. I've been told (but never lived there) that quality western foods in the supermarkets, when available, can be quite expensive.

In Bangkok, in contrast, as most folks here probably know, cheap taxis and several mass transit lines are readily available, medical care quality is pretty good comparatively, internet is good and getting better, electrical outages are rare, the weather is decent for those who like warm and humid, and big storms are rare, and local foods are considerably better, with western choices easy to come by.

With those as the comparatives, it's hard to make a case for moving out to Thailand to the Phils...

3 minutes ago, amvet said:

My experiences with Vietnam are colored by the war and you have apparently dealt with yours better than I and more power to you for that. I'll never go back to that god forsaken place.  

I'll admit I never heard any funny war songs while in country and your knowledge of music during that period certainly exceeds mine.  

I came to Thailand before the women got fat so I still remember everyone from my youthful experiences and the lights being out I don't seem to notice much difference. 

Well, I have some bad memories from Vietnam too, but I spent almost three of my four years there with an office in Saigon only doing walk-about to the bush--so I had it pretty good, most of the time. The availability of all types of alcohol and food and other physical pleasures was incomparable to any place I know today. Saigon made Pattaya look like a backwoods convent. Of course, I was in my early twenties and bullet-proof. I came to Thailand in 67, same as the PI and Vietnam; when we were all thinner.

39 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yeah, in the major cities the health care is good, but it lacks in the boonies. However, since you have to leave every 90 days, you could come back to Thailand for any necessary treatment. As I said, given a few more years, I see all that improved--social, civil, and technological infrastructure will need to match the growth in trade and foreign investment.

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It sounded from a subsequent post of yours above that an out of country trip -- either by air or land -- is required between the three-month Vietnam visa renewals. I asked about that earlier, but you didn't specifically mention it in your reply here.

As much as I dislike Thailand's 90 day reporting requirement, the current ability for many folks to do it entirely online makes it considerably easier -- and a whole lot easier than being required to take an out-of-country trip every 3 months.

Yeah, for the normal visas you do have to leave every 90 days--as I said, you could go to China, Cambodia or Laos overland and r/t SGN-BKK can be had for as little as $170. However, there are one, three and five year visas with more qualifications and cost--they are marriage and business-type visas. Some visa services offer a one-year multiple entry visa can be had for about $1200, but it appears about $7-800 of that is their fee.  I like to travel, so 90 days does not bother me and the Vietnamese don't seem to be as uptight as the Thais with back to back--I know one American who has been there for 14 years  doing 90-day back to back--he lives near Cambodia and has found a Cambodian honey with whom to unwind on those nasty visa trips.

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The easy part re the Phils is the visa part. Some say, there's reasons for that.

For me, the easy visa part, along with the women, tends to be outweighed by:

bad traffic and pollution in the bigger cities, lack of easy public transportation, pervasive poverty, spotty infrastructure such as poor internet and electrical outages, the weather problems associated with recurring typhoons, spotty quality of medical care in many areas, and pretty unappetizing local foods. I've been told (but never lived there) that quality western foods in the supermarkets, when available, can be quite expensive.

In Bangkok, in contrast, as most folks here probably know, cheap taxis and several mass transit lines are readily available, medical care quality is pretty good comparatively, internet is good and getting better, electrical outages are rare, the weather is decent for those who like warm and humid, and big storms are rare, and local foods are considerably better, with western choices easy to come by.

With those as the comparatives, it's hard to make a case for moving out to Thailand to the Phils...

Well, that is your opinion; not that I disagree, I used to live in the PI. My wife is a Filipina, but she too is happier outside the Philippines. I am sure one day when I am a vegetable, we will go back. Medical care is pretty good in the PI and there are some other benefits for Americans; there is a veterans hospital and a social security office. Most of the imported foods and alcohol are American, so the cost of Western food and all sorts of alcohol and tobacco are cheaper than in Thailand. If you are like me, your lady has to be able to cook, so even though local PI foods tend to be bland and show little imagination, the basic ingredients are there. The people, especially the women, are more tuned-in to foreigners; perhaps due to their more Western than Eastern culture. Not that it does not happen, but the stories of cuckolded foreign men are far less prevalent in the PI than in Thailand. So, you pay your money and take your choice.

16 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I was an American living in Hanoi and I made no secret of it. The Vietnamese did not seem to bear a grudge as they understand soldiers have a duty to perform. They always told me that they have fought with so many different countries that they would hate everyone if they did not forgive. I really respected them for that.

I agree with you, I stayed in HCMC in 2005 for a project for 1 year. I found the Vietnamese very friendly towards US citizens. found allot of Vietnamese people wearing US flags as bandanna, on shirts etc. met several US vets living in HCMC helping where they could.   I prefer Thailand.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

Most of the imported foods and alcohol are American, so the cost of Western food and all sorts of alcohol and tobacco are cheaper than in Thailand.

That's interesting. I'd never really heard that before re western food in the Phils. Yes, the alcohol and tobacco part I knew, relative to Thailand.

But since I'm an American, having someplace that offers a few more of the home comforts than Thailand typically has would be a nice touch.

I've never lived in or even visited the Phils, but I do tend to read one of the PI forum boards. And from that, rightly or wrongly, I'd gotten the impression that western and even American products in the local supermarkets there weren't particularly plentiful or affordable.  I guess, thinking back on that, those references may have been regarding fresh imported foods -- meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

58 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I agree with you, I stayed in HCMC in 2005 for a project for 1 year. I found the Vietnamese very friendly towards US citizens. found allot of Vietnamese people wearing US flags as bandanna, on shirts etc. met several US vets living in HCMC helping where they could.   I prefer Thailand.

As someone with experience in both countries, WHY???

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's interesting. I'd never really heard that before re western food in the Phils. Yes, the alcohol and tobacco part I knew, relative to Thailand.

But since I'm an American, having someplace that offers a few more of the home comforts than Thailand typically has would be a nice touch.

I've never lived in or even visited the Phils, but I do tend to read one of the PI forum boards. And from that, rightly or wrongly, I'd gotten the impression that western and even American products in the local supermarkets there weren't particularly plentiful or affordable.  I guess, thinking back on that, those references may have been regarding fresh imported foods -- meats, fruits, veggies, etc.

Well, it depends where you live. Manila sucks; it has all the bad things a big city can have. I used to live in Manila and loved it, but that was the 70's. And, it is true the infrastructure sucks too. But some places are still nice. I like Tagaytay, about 50 miles South of Manila--close proximity to the airport and out in the countryside away from the traffic and congestion. Tagaytay City is on a mountain ridge overlooking Taal Lake and Taal Volcano. Clean and cool mountain air; beautiful. And just down the road is an American Warehouse-style Big-Box Store--same-same Sam's Club; complete with clothing, utensils, foods, meats, cheeses, breads, wines, beers, spirits and pharmacy. Of course, there are many Western-style and Traditional favorites in Filipino food restaurants. Housing is nice, but more costly than comparable in Thailand--you pay for nice.

On 06/01/2018 at 11:17 PM, Thai Ron said:

I don't want to deny it to anyone.

Why on earth would I want to do that?

I only suggested that a man with your medical challenges should be less cavalier about using drugs that many experts warn you to steer clear of.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mens-health/are-erectile-dysfunction-pills-safe-for-men-with-heart-disease

But, hey, if you wanna hasten your departure from this plane of existence, go right ahead

I have to agree with you on this, i.e. being a recipient of a stent after suffering a heart attack during great sex.

Viagra for me was like M&M's are to my kids.

The cardiologist has advised me to not take any drugs after the stent, and I agree, its the BEST Viagra replacement one could ever wish for and it was free thanks to Medicare, suffice to say, since the heart attack 10 years ago, I have to try and keep the wife away from my new lease of life, especially at night when I am done and dusted, but can never say no to her, yes I married a pretty one, half my luck, and sometimes I have to ban her from rising saddle because it takes at least a week to come back to normal...(too much information)

But I do have to add, the heart attack was brought on by me thinking I was 21, because I don't know many guys in their late 40's at the time going for a 4th in one day....lol 

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 hours ago, smotherb said:

More power to you Jack, I am a relative youngster at 73. You are my new hero.

love your attitude amvet.i'm 95 .was shot 5 times in war,had three heart attacks,numerous stints and pacemaker. work out lighty 5 days a week. have sex at least 10 times a week.take 4 heart medications and viagro.decided to marry no decease problems to worry .don. 't have to lift a finger to do anything and i'm happy. and i play bridge. the thais i know are great people.

More power to you Jack, I am a relative youngster at 73. You are my new hero.

Irish Jack ,      Sounds like you have many a yarn to tell and are leading a good life but sex 10 times a week ? especially at 95 years old puts me to shame , was your wife an ex-jockey ?   Thanks pal , you made me chuckle 

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, for the normal visas you do have to leave every 90 days--as I said, you could go to China, Cambodia or Laos overland and r/t SGN-BKK can be had for as little as $170. However, there are one, three and five year visas with more qualifications and cost--they are marriage and business-type visas. Some visa services offer a one-year multiple entry visa can be had for about $1200, but it appears about $7-800 of that is their fee.  I like to travel, so 90 days does not bother me and the Vietnamese don't seem to be as uptight as the Thais with back to back--I know one American who has been there for 14 years  doing 90-day back to back--he lives near Cambodia and has found a Cambodian honey with whom to unwind on those nasty visa trips.

Some good tips and something I have not considered . Normally I do the 90 day visa run over to Cambodia and 1900 baht plus I like to go to the casino to boost their takings but your post makes is food for thought and I will start to look at alternatives ,  thanks