Have you left Thailand ?

superal

2 hours ago, amvet said:

One of the reasons that Thailand does so well in terms of infrastructure (and people retiring and tourism) is the large amount of foreign reserves flowing into the country.  Let me give you an example.  I have a young Korean friend who owns a small business in Thailand and sends a million baht from Thailand back to Korea every year.  I bring a million baht in from America and spend it in Thailand every year.  More retired guys like me and less young guys like my Korean friend is good for the country economically.   So the old fellows are one of the reasons more people come to live in Thailand rather than the shithole countries surrounding it. 

People come here because of old boys??!!

Ridiculous

They come in spite of them.

No actually, that's not entirely true.

I've seen many younger expats pointing and laughing at old boys with their rentals.

Sorry but chowing down at Tesco food courts don't make your demographic big spenders.

The truth is that most of you are counting pennies

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Places other than what?

Most people in America still get Taiwan and Thailand confused and have no idea at the things that I find commonplace.  My wife got peeved at me while we were eating dinner New Years Eve in Pattaya.  Another at the table told me to behave or she'd leave me.  "Leave me in Pattaya with 20,000 baht in my pocket?"  "Fat chance, I chortled" 

Me and the other fellow are at home in more towns (I imagine) than most people in Paducah can even imagine or pronounce.  Not that there is anything wrong with Paducah.  

On 1/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, amvet said:

Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam I did not fight for.  Which neighboring country to Thailand would you rather live in?  One of the reasons so many xpats live in Thailand and don't want to move to a neighboring country are a direct result of the attempted Communist takeover of Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand in the 1960's.  Thailand was the only country to escape the fate of its neighbors thanks to many Americans.  Read a bit before you attack other posters. 

Am guessing that you are pretending to be so dumb.  Vietnam does not share a border with Thailand, and The Malaya insurgency(yes a neighboring country) was put down by the Brits, not a bunch of barstool Rambo warriors like yourself.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I presume a young Korean, running a business, presumably paying taxes, employing locals, and possibly having suppliers or supplying over firms who themselves employee people etc etc. He also lives here and spends here like you on top of the business as well as having money to send back.

I think people like him are doing far more for the country than some farang just bringing in a few thousand baht a month and perhaps spending a bit on rent and every day expenses. I know which the Government would prefer.

Oooo careful!

He won't like that barrage of cold, hard facts.

He's got a delusion to maintain

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

People come here because of old boys??!!

Ridiculous

They come in spite of them.

No actually, that's not entirely true.

I've seen many younger expats pointing and laughing at old boys with their rentals.

Sorry but chowing down at Tesco food courts don't make your demographic big spenders.

The truth is that most of you are counting pennies

There are 100 members of my VFW club of older gentlemen.  We fund orphanages and host an active duty American military unit when they are in Thailand play in big money charity golf tournaments and bury friends at sea when they die.  Most of the fellows have good incomes from military pensions and cash saved.  My wife was jealous that I get birthday and New Years cards from Bangkok bank and she doesn't.  I can understand your point of view.  I wouldn't hang out with you.  So I imagine you don't meet many normal expat retirees.  

11 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Am guessing that you are pretending to be so dumb.  Vietnam does not share a border with Thailand, and The Malaya insurgency(yes a neighboring country) was put down by the Brits, not a bunch of barstool Rambo warriors like yourself.

Burma, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are neighbors of Thailand.  50,000 Americans died in the Vietnam war.  519 Brits died in Malaysia.  I am a disabled combat vet and receive a disability pension based on wounds I received in 1968.  It was the other guy who spent the war in a bar in Saigon.  I was in a helicopter.   

1 minute ago, amvet said:

There are 100 members of my VFW club of older gentlemen.  We fund orphanages and host an active duty American military unit when they are in Thailand play in big money charity golf tournaments and bury friends at sea when they die.  Most of the fellows have good incomes from military pensions and cash saved.  My wife was jealous that I get birthday and New Years cards from Bangkok bank and she doesn't.  I can understand your point of view.  I wouldn't hang out with you.  So I imagine you don't meet many normal expat retirees.  

Look, I get it

You really want to tell everyone that you're still useful, virile and relevant but I'm sorry, I'm not even remotely impressed.

I've far more respect for the old fella who just gets on with enjoying his retirement, goes about his business with his women or wife or whatever and keeps himself to himself

Sitting on an anonymous forum trying to piss higher up the wall than younger guys makes no sense whatsoever to me.

9 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Look, I get it

You really want to tell everyone that you're still useful, virile and relevant but I'm sorry, I'm not even remotely impressed.

I've far more respect for the old fella who just gets on with enjoying his retirement, goes about his business with his women or wife or whatever and keeps himself to himself

Sitting on an anonymous forum trying to piss higher up the wall than younger guys makes no sense whatsoever to me.

You started it.  You wrote an ad hominem attack on one of my posts saying that I made you sick.  No one is forcing you to personally insult me.  But if you do expect a response.  I don't why you go out of your way to insult older gentlemen.  

7 minutes ago, amvet said:

You started it.  You wrote an ad hominem attack on one of my posts saying that I made you sick.  No one is forcing you to personally insult me.  But if you do expect a response.  I don't why you go out of your way to insult older gentlemen.  

Show me the post in which I attacked you.

Show me the post in which I personally insulted you.

2 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Show me the post in which I attacked you.

Show me the post in which I personally insulted you.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, amvet said:

........the Lotus where I shop has three discount brothels attached that sponsor local farm girls who can attend college and only have to work on weekends and holidays after their homework is done.  

I'd go somewhere else if the infrastructure was equivalent and the women readily available for old fellas like myself.

:sick:

•  

11 minutes ago, amvet said:

You can do better than an ad hominem attack can't you?  You are conversing with a person of history.  An individual who actually influenced the course of events in South East Asia.  Now is your big chance to learn something about what really happened here that made Thailand the Tiger of Asia and Laos , Burma, Cambodia and Vietnam the shitholes of Asia and the answer to the questions of this thread on why people don't leave Thailand.   

A student of some twisted form of history but most definitely not geography and incredibly racist to boot!  You should hang your head in shame!

Just now, torrzent said:

A student of some twisted form of history but most definitely not geography and incredibly racist to boot!  You should hang your head in shame!

Vietnam is a neighbor of Thailand and I've said nothing racist.  Kindly point to my racist comment or apologize.

14 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Gonna have to call troll on this one, but thanks for the entertainment!

I guess on your street, anyone who stays two doors away isn't a neighbour?

I see.

Somewhere along the line I guess they really did stop teaching geography and grammar.

20 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I'm guessing that I'm not typical from most of the posts on here. A lot of people seem to be of an advanced age.

I left Thailand five years ago aged 35. Took a leap into the dark and got a job in Saudi. I didn't want to be wasting the biggest earning years of my life in Thailand, wake up at 50 with some hazy memories, and most importantly no cash in the bank!

The first three years in Saudi were spent getting on the ground experience, and finding our feet. Thai wife and two kids have been here the while time too. 

The past two years have been spent working for the Saudi military on a very good number. The kind of cash that the vast majority of expats can only dream of. Recently purchased a very nice villa in Hua Hin cash after just two years of saving, so absolutely no regrets about leaving Thailand on that front. 

Downsides have been that Saudi has been hard for my wife for obvious reasons. On the other hand we tapped into the Thai community here and made some great friends, some of which I would like to think are for life. 

My final thought would be that Thailand is for when you're young and single, or when you're old and retired. 

The years in the middle are better off being spent elsewhere. 

I left at 35 after 12 years, in hindsight I wished I'd left at 30.

Even for $100000/month I would not live in any retarded territory.

How lucky is your family to live in that sh*thole just because you were not able to make good money in Thailand.

Poor them.

3 minutes ago, dpdp said:

How lucky is your family to live in that sh*thole just because you were not able to make good money in Thailand.

Poor them.

Big words from someone who Rides around in the baht bus....  :whistling:

8 hours ago, amvet said:

I agree with you as I didn't find it difficult learning Vietnamese and all of the Vietnamese I knew spoke English because they worked for me.  All of the Thais I know in a business way have a couple of degrees and speak OK English.  I also taught English in Thailand from kindergarten to college and don't think much of the system or English teachers.  Best English teachers I've met in Thailand were from the Philippines.  

So you weren't even a good English teacher......starting to understand the lack of history, geography etc.......

1 hour ago, dpdp said:

Poor them.

Dude.....calm down.

Different folks different strokes. I never grew up with any silver spoon in my mouth, and I've just been trying to provide a good future my my family and myself. You don't agree with my methods, that's up to you.

I will say one more thing to you though. I don't know how many Thai friends you have, but generally speaking I would say that foreigners in Thailand don't have many, if any Thai friends, but I have found Saudis on the whole to be very friendly people, and I've made goods friends. Some of the guys I work with are great guys who would go out of their way to help you in the best tradition of Arab hospitality. 

It's a very exciting time to be here right now what with all of the social changes going on. 

I'm fairly sure if I knew more about your life there would be things I'd disagree with. But live and let live. 

I'll still be sleeping well tonight, as will my family. 

8 hours ago, amvet said:

Most people in America still get Taiwan and Thailand confused and have no idea at the things that I find commonplace.  My wife got peeved at me while we were eating dinner New Years Eve in Pattaya.  Another at the table told me to behave or she'd leave me.  "Leave me in Pattaya with 20,000 baht in my pocket?"  "Fat chance, I chortled" 

Me and the other fellow are at home in more towns (I imagine) than most people in Paducah can even imagine or pronounce.  Not that there is anything wrong with Paducah.  

WOW -- You' and the other fellow are  sumthin' you betcha!

oh-the-places-you-ll-go-.jpg

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Dude.....calm down.

Different folks different strokes. I never grew up with any silver spoon in my mouth, and I've just been trying to provide a good future my my family and myself. You don't agree with my methods, that's up to you.

I will say one more thing to you though. I don't know how many Thai friends you have, but generally speaking I would say that foreigners in Thailand don't have many, if any Thai friends, but I have found Saudis on the whole to be very friendly people, and I've made goods friends. Some of the guys I work with are great guys who would go out of their way to help you in the best tradition of Arab hospitality. 

It's a very exciting time to be here right now what with all of the social changes going on. 

I'm fairly sure if I knew more about your life there would be things I'd disagree with. But live and let live. 

Very good response and I have appreciated both of your posts.

Yes-the Thai friend thing is a bit of a puzzle and amongst my foreign compatriots in Isaan that I personally knew-irrespective of how long they had been there or their ability to speak Thai-I found that they had few (if any) Thai friends.

I am sure that other posters have different experiences.....but that was mine.

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Dude.....calm down.

I have no interest in Thai friends and I am sure to be even less interested to know any muslim of this world, even if they would pay me to socialize with them. I have face and pride.

Edited by dpdp

10 minutes ago, dpdp said:

I have no interest in Thai friends and I am sure to be even less interested to know any muslim of this world, even if they would pay me to socialize with them. I have face and pride.

It's good to have some Thai friends ... but just a couple of close ones.

Expats friends,  well no,  because all you ever get from an farang is whinging ....  they always see the negatives in anything, never the positives ... as such I stay away from them.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Expats friends,  well no,  because all you ever get from an farang is whinging ....  they always see the negatives in anything, never the positives ... as such I stay away from them.

Thanks but, for the most part, I never get close enough to them to have to stay away from them.

1 hour ago, dpdp said:

Ahhh.... so that's what it's called.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

I do not mess with low so farangs...

4 hours ago, JLCrab said:

WOW -- You' and the other fellow are  sumthin' you betcha!

oh-the-places-you-ll-go-.jpg

This topic is about going other places.  A friend called me up and asked about moving to Thailand as he had visited a few times but never lived there.  Knowing him I advised he arrange insurance first.  I have coverage and it has come in handy getting good medical care.  Seems to me if one has been around he is better able to advise people on the viability of a particular location.  I'm sure everyone appreciates your deprecating remarks as they are a good reminder why no one posts any real information here for fear of being mocked by the peanut gallery.  

1 hour ago, amvet said:

This topic is about going other places.  A friend called me up and asked about moving to Thailand as he had visited a few times but never lived there.  Knowing him I advised he arrange insurance first.  I have coverage and it has come in handy getting good medical care.  Seems to me if one has been around he is better able to advise people on the viability of a particular location.  I'm sure everyone appreciates your deprecating remarks as they are a good reminder why no one posts any real information here for fear of being mocked by the peanut gallery.  

Great. Did you advise him as to where he can rent a place near the Lotus with the 3 attached discount brothels for the part-time straight-off-the-farm college girls?