Oprah Winfrey - does speech provide clues about presidential run?

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Just what America needs, another actor/ talk show host for President, the Worlds never going to take you seriously if you keep doing that.

regards worgeordie

Once the USA have got rid of the current POTUS they need someone credible to try to rebuild Americas reputation and credibility.  Oprah isn't the answer.

What a joke the Dems have nothing better than produce a TV 'star' to battle Trump. A disaster!  so Trump will win a second term as the Dems just don't 'get it'.  More PC BS from Oprah in between her purchasing millions on Amish rubbish to prove she's 'simple like them'. America won't buy it and needs a decent and serious contender. John McCain does a great job of undermining the President how about him?  oh wait he's a Republican... (sort of)

10 minutes ago, PattayaAngel said:

What a joke the Dems have nothing better than produce a TV 'star' to battle Trump. A disaster!  so Trump will win a second term as the Dems just don't 'get it'.  More PC BS from Oprah in between her purchasing millions on Amish rubbish to prove she's 'simple like them'. America won't buy it and needs a decent and serious contender. John McCain does a great job of undermining the President how about him?  oh wait he's a Republican... (sort of)

Hold your horses, matey.

Winfrey hasn't even announced yet (nor has anyone) and the democrats have a long list of worthy potential 2020 presidential candidates.

If Winfrey seeks the nomination, she will face a large field of opponents.

Not saying she couldn't win, but it's way way early. 

John McCain, republican, is very seriously ill. 

Edited by Jingthing

Little Oprah was poor and wore dresses made from potato sacks.  Her granny beat her with a stick and she got pregnant while an underage teen , lost the baby and got a scholarship to a decent university , graduated and made a fortune in communications.  If that's not an Abe Lincoln story what is?  You gotta vote for her.  I'd vote for her.  She strikes me as a black Golda Meir. 

Edited by amvet

7 minutes ago, amvet said:

Little Oprah was poor and wore dresses made from potato sacks.  Her granny beat her with a stick and she got pregnant while an underage teen , lost the baby and got a scholarship to a decent university , graduated and made a fortune in communications.  If that's not an Abe Lincoln story what is? 

Lincoln was an attorney, congressman, and politician. 

A fairly standard presidential background.

Also ... pretty darned gay.

Not so standard.

Edited by Jingthing

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, yes.  Politics in the USA is supposed to be a temp job.  Not part time, but not a lifetime.

Thanks for the explanation , very different from most EU countries where young people are educated and work hard to become politicians full time.  Maybe not always the best solution , but at least they have the experience. 

Edited by balo

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Lincoln was an attorney, congressman, and politician. 

A fairly standard presidential background.

Also ... pretty darned gay.

Not so standard.

He grew up in a log cabin spiting logs and read by candle light and was self educated.  That is what I meant. Oh, and stop trying to disagree critique and upset everyone who is not a member of the rainbow coalition.  That's why you folks lost to Trump.  The idea is to get a candidate elected not to see how angry you can make anyone who is not in your group.   I'd drop the calling Lincoln gay as true as it might be it's another reason you all lost so bad.  Your big coalition is woman and blacks and Hispanics.   Put the gays and ladyboys in the closet till after the electoral votes are counted.  And that is just good practical advice on how to beat what will be a very popular President.  

lincoln cabin.jpg

Edited by amvet

3 minutes ago, balo said:

Thanks for the explanation , very different from most EU countries where young people are educated and work hard to become politicians full time.  

It's not that different in the U.S.

A typical U.S. politician has a background in law (the majority of the current Senate) and often studied political science as well. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Thanks for the explanation , very different from most EU countries where young people are educated and work hard to become politicians full time.  Maybe not always the best solution , but at least they have the experience. 

But experience at what? 

Cutting back room deals that sell the middle class up the river, filling bills with pork to benefit their corporate sponsors, and raising funds is all our guys get good at.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

But experience at what? 

Cutting back room deals that sell the middle class up the river, filling bills with pork to benefit their corporate sponsors, and raising funds is all our guys get good at.

Your thesis seems to be people with no experience are better. trump proves that thesis dead wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not that different in the U.S.

A typical U.S. politician has a background in law (the majority of the current Senate) and often studied political science as well. 

Ya like Reagan and Eisenhower and Carter and Bush and Truman.   

1 minute ago, amvet said:

Ya like Reagan and Eisenhower and Carter and Bush and Truman.   

Do you know the definition of typical? 

trump was the first U.S. president that wasn't previously an elected government official or major military leader.

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Your thesis seems to be people with no experience are better. trump proves that thesis dead wrong. 

Trump hasn't proved anything yet.   Nor will the example of a single man prove or disprove my thesis, which is closer to "term limits are long overdue".

And while everyone is so focused on the trauma and drama, he's getting a lot of his agenda through.  Sadly, it's a twisted and warped agenda.  But he's proving pretty effective at changing things. 

9 minutes ago, Issanman said:

What he said is accurate.  She is smart and everyone in America likes her and the only way she could lose is by being to close to the same Democrats that caused Trump to win.  

Just say NOPRAH!

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2018/01/the_case_against_oprah.html

Oprah? Really?

The same political malaise that produced Donald Trump is now threatening to give us Oprah Winfrey.

The solution here is to select a president who can shape deep knowledge into a robust, truly ambitious agenda that promises a future for this country beyond the incomprehensible misery we are all barreling toward, a candidate who can wed expertise and vision with the novel political rhetoric and expression voters clearly crave. Finding that person may require us to demand more from the cast of political characters we’ve already given ourselves. It does not require that we settle for Oprah.

10 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Oprah would be a terrible president.

If she runs in 2020 - it'll secure Trumps second term.

Is this the best and brightest that the US has to offer? Clinton, Trump, Oprah? 

I think this is the end of democracy as we know it. Oprah is in no way qualified to be the leader of the free world. It's just the flip side of the Trump coin.

President is NOT an entry-level position.

The woman is qualified  to be President because;

- She is  educated, both formally and  through life and work experience.

- She is an accomplished and successful business entrepreneur who accomplished it all without screwing people over or declaring convenient bankruptcies cheating people.

- She is free of scandal or allegations of  deceit or dishonesty.

- She has set up and run a charitable foundation that has delivered  effective eduicational opportunities to the poor and disadvantaged  in the USA and elsewhere.

She is smart, a brilliant communicator, empathetic, acceptable to middle of the road democrats and republicans and a consensus builder not a divider.

I don't like her, but she is as qualified as any of the presidential candidates who have run over the past 50 years. 

If America is ready for a black woman prez, I'd like to see Maxine Walters or Kamala Harris at the helm. 

Both have track records at Capital Hill.   Winfrey might not be able to take sustained ugly attacks from right-wing attack machine aided by Russkies. 

Michelle Obama would also be great.   ......as would Sasha and Malia, .....but I'm getting ahead of myself.

If America is ready for a black woman prez, I'd like to see Maxine Walters or Kamala Harris at the helm. 
Both have track records at Capital Hill.   Winfrey might not be able to take sustained ugly attacks from right-wing attack machine aided by Russkies. 

Michelle Obama would also be great.   ......as would Sasha and Malia, .....but I'm getting ahead of myself.
Michelle Obama isn't interested in the slightest.
Yes a black woman president is possible.
Who cares?
Just someone decent to start to heal from the damage of the toxic clown.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

49 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The woman is qualified  to be President because;

- She is  educated, both formally and  through life and work experience.

- She is an accomplished and successful business entrepreneur who accomplished it all without screwing people over or declaring convenient bankruptcies cheating people.

- She is free of scandal or allegations of  deceit or dishonesty.

- She has set up and run a charitable foundation that has delivered  effective eduicational opportunities to the poor and disadvantaged  in the USA and elsewhere.

She is smart, a brilliant communicator, empathetic, acceptable to middle of the road democrats and republicans and a consensus builder not a divider.

I don't like her, but she is as qualified as any of the presidential candidates who have run over the past 50 years. 

But does her charity make donations to herself, as Trump's did to him?  She definitely revealed a lack of entrepeneurial flair there. What's more, as far as I can determine, she has never claimed to make donations that she has never made. Once more, unlike Trump.

From the media hype that was given to Oprah and her speech you would think she discovered the curer for cancer with just one small pill. But no, it was just more entertainment industry BS playing to the clowns and jesters that make up that industry.

Yes she is well liked, but <deleted> POTUS.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh yeah ......  lets let every tom dick and harry run for office ....   geeeeze  ,  stupid.

This is just the beginning.  You're gonna see all sorts of media clowns making announcements in the coming years.  The sentiment is that if this guy can become president then anybody can.