Bangkok Street Vendor With Michelin Star Wants To Give It Back

webfact

Bangkok Street Vendor With Michelin Star Wants To Give It Back

Jay Fai is not the first chef to express this desire

CHELSEA RITSCHEL IN NEW YORK

Receiving a Michelin Star may be one of the highest honours bestowed on a chef - but for one street vendor in Bangkok, life, before she received the star, was preferable - and she would like to give the star back.

When Michelin, the French tire company that also distributes international dining guides, first announced they would be publishing a guide to Bangkok, many wondered whether any of the street food vendors would receive a star.

Just one did - the culinary genius behind the eatery Raan Jay Fai, who has since been dubbed the “crab omelette queen.”

Full story: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/bangkok-street-vendor-michelin-star-raan-jay-fai-give-back-a8150341.html

-- INDEPENDENT 2018-01-10

Why is she attracting extra attention to herself by coming out saying she wants to give it back?

Why not just give it back and avoid the limelight?

Oh yes, this is just a way to advertise their business for free.

Lots of other BS in the article, for example:

"forced the tiny eatery to begin taking reservations"

Howcome you were forced to do this? Who forced you? Maybe go to the police and try to identify the person forcing you to do this?

"Yuawadee Junsuta to quit her job so she could work full time at Raan Jay Fai"

Yes, we all know it is explicitly mentioned in the law that you can only hire your own kids in a restaurant, right?

Why not hire someone else to help out? Guess there are people enough willing to work in your 1-star restaurant.

"the increased demand for her food has not meant she has become wealthy"

Assuming she is making a profit on her products (how could she otherwise still exist? ) her total profits should have increased.

If it defines "wealthy" depends on the person you ask.

"she is actually spending more on ingredients to keep up with the crowd"

Maybe she should stop selling food, which would save her a ton of money on ingredients.

There is seriously no logic in this statement.

Conclusion: this is just an advertisement where she is humble bragging they didn't raise prices and how others should see them as "good people" as they work hard and have lots to endure because of their success. As always, its all about gaining face and making more money.

Nice woman who had a good business. Now the stress of long lines and unwanted attention and jealousy and photos are not wanted by a woman  who was content. I agree with her. The star screwed up her life.  People are strange animals. Lots of great street food in Bangkok but give someone a star and the loonies come out in droves to Facebook,  comment, pat you on the back or criticize. 

Edited by Wake Up

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Give it back,and lower prices ?,no I dont think so.

regards Worgeordie

Her prices were high to begin with, and were not raised after the Michelin thing. It's even mentioned in the article.

6 hours ago, dudopode said:

800 to 2000 baht for omelette... Surely made of the golden goose eggs... 

If she spends more for ingredients that's only because she sells more.. So more revenue. 

Me think is the taxmen visit that is not welcome.. Not the star

Far as I recall, this isn't what the omelettes are priced, but some of the other dishes.  The omelettes weren't exactly cheap, but not on this level.

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Why is she attracting extra attention to herself by coming out saying she wants to give it back?

Why not just give it back and avoid the limelight?

Oh yes, this is just a way to advertise their business for free.

Lots of other BS in the article, for example:

"forced the tiny eatery to begin taking reservations"

Howcome you were forced to do this? Who forced you? Maybe go to the police and try to identify the person forcing you to do this?

"Yuawadee Junsuta to quit her job so she could work full time at Raan Jay Fai"

Yes, we all know it is explicitly mentioned in the law that you can only hire your own kids in a restaurant, right?

Why not hire someone else to help out? Guess there are people enough willing to work in your 1-star restaurant.

Assuming she is making a profit on her products (how could she otherwise still exist? ) her total profits should have increased.

If it defines "wealthy" depends on the person you ask.

"she is actually spending more on ingredients to keep up with the crowd"

Maybe she should stop selling food, which would save her a ton of money on ingredients.

There is seriously no logic in this statement.

Conclusion: this is just an advertisement where she is humble bragging they didn't raise prices and how others should see them as "good people" as they work hard and have lots to endure because of their success. As always, its all about gaining face and making more money.

I think the conclusion is that she kicked your dog or something.

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

How long ago she received that star, wasn't it about less than a month?

Oh i get it, like all Thais she wanted to get rich overnight, and this " give the star back article" is here second attempt because she failed the first time.

By the way, someone who can sell fried eggs at 800 Baht must be rich, because that is some 20.000% profit margin

Edited by janclaes47

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I think the conclusion is that she kicked your dog or something.

No, she did not.

But good attempt refuting my comments and bringing up your own, well-researched, conclusion.

You are a valuable member of this forum, thank you for your contribution.

50 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

No, she did not.

But good attempt refuting my comments and bringing up your own, well-researched, conclusion.

You are a valuable member of this forum, thank you for your contribution.

I have a first hand experience with this place. Posted on the original topic. What you posted above is not "well-researched", nor does it need much "refuting", just a bunch of assertions made by an apparently bitter person.

Michelin Stars....

It's time for some competition here in Thailand.

Thailand can better have stars for their street food:

• Bridgestone Stars
  • Firestone Stars
  • Goodyear Stars
  • Pirelli Stars

The last two had their "topless" stars on a calendar. Probably illegal in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Morch said:

I have a first hand experience with this place. Posted on the original topic. What you posted above is not "well-researched", nor does it need much "refuting", just a bunch of assertions made by an apparently bitter person.

So because you have been there you think she kicked my dog?

If you want to make an official statement about that to the police, I will consider asking them to charge her under the animal protection laws. That is a serious offence here in Thailand.

Although i admit my dog has never been in Bangkok since I have her.

On a serious note, if what i said is not "well-researched" and doesnt need much refuting, you left a great opportunity to put me in my place hanging and instead came up with a 1-line nonsense response. What a waste of such a great opportunity...

"...the increased demand for her food has not meant she has become wealthy. Rather, she is actually spending more on ingredients to keep up with the crowd."

But you're selling more - duh

"...a demand that forced Jay Fai’s daughter, Yuawadee Junsuta to quit her job." 

Maybe not 'wealthy', but certainly better off than before if her daughter could afford to quit her job.

"..and even a couple of curious tax department officials to Raan Jay Fai’s small space..."

Ah, therein lies the rub :saai:

Edited by SABloke

11 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

So because you have been there you think she kicked my dog?

If you want to make an official statement about that to the police, I will consider asking them to charge her under the animal protection laws. That is a serious offence here in Thailand.

Although i admit my dog has never been in Bangkok since I have her.

On a serious note, if what i said is not "well-researched" and doesnt need much refuting, you left a great opportunity to put me in my place hanging and instead came up with a 1-line nonsense response. What a waste of such a great opportunity...

:coffee1:

11 hours ago, SABloke said:

"...the increased demand for her food has not meant she has become wealthy. Rather, she is actually spending more on ingredients to keep up with the crowd."

But you're selling more - duh

"...a demand that forced Jay Fai’s daughter, Yuawadee Junsuta to quit her job." 

Maybe not 'wealthy', but certainly better off than before if her daughter could afford to quit her job.

"..and even a couple of curious tax department officials to Raan Jay Fai’s small space..."

Ah, therein lies the rub :saai:

Be careful, Morch has been there once and he will soon call you out on all the mistakes you make in your post by posting something completely absurd, possibly about the animal in your avatar. Appearently he learned a lot from that one visit and now speaks on behalf of the owners.