• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 95

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

2. 7

Thailand Live Saturday 12 October 2024

3. 0

Man Drowns in Front of Sister While Searching for Shellfish in Surin Province

4. 1

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 47

Reasons of change

6. 141
    7. 63

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

8. 7

9. 0

Flash Flood Claims Lives of Two Tourists at Wang Lung Waterfall

10. 7

11. 0

Thai High-Risk Groups Urged to Get Covid-19 Boosters

12. 1

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

13. 28

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

14. 75

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

15. 1

How to I get rid of this new left hand sidebar?

Trump says 'probably' has a good relationship with North Korea's Kim - WSJ

webfact

Trump says 'probably' has a good relationship with North Korea's Kim - WSJ

2018-01-11T214143Z_1_LYNXMPEE0A1VA_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump attends a signing ceremony for the Interdict Act into law, to provide Customs and Border Protection agents with the latest screening technology on the fight against the opioid crisis, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington D.C., U.S., January 10, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he "probably" has a very good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, a change in tone for Trump after exchanging insults with Kim over Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programs.

Trump has derided the North Korean leader as a "maniac" and referred to him as "little rocket man." Kim has responded by calling the U.S. president a "mentally deranged U.S. dotard."

"I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un," Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised."

Kim has warned the United States that he intends to build a nuclear arsenal capable of hitting the United States, prompting threats of military action by Washington.

Asked whether he has spoken with the North Korean leader, Trump told the newspaper: "I don't want to comment on it. I'm not saying I have or haven't. I just don't want to comment."

In November, Trump said while on a trip to Vietnam that becoming friends with Kim "might be a strange thing to happen but it's a possibility."

Kim, in a speech last week, said the "nuclear button is always on my desk," prompting Trump to respond in a tweet that his nuclear button is "a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!"

In the Journal interview, Trump suggested his combative tweets are part of a broader strategy.

"You’ll see that a lot with me," he said, "and then all of the sudden somebody’s my best friend. I could give you 20 examples. You could give me 30. I’m a very flexible person."

Trump told the newspaper a decision by the United States and South Korea to postpone military exercises until after next month's Winter Olympics in South Korea "sends a good message to North Korea."

North and South Korea held their first talks in two years on Tuesday. Trump told a news conference in Washington on Wednesday the United States would be willing to speak to Pyongyang "under the right circumstances."

(Reporting by Makini Brice; Writing by Katanga Johnson; Editing by Tim Ahmann and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-12

"You’ll see that a lot with me," he said, "and then all of the sudden somebody’s my best friend. I could give you 20 examples. You could give me 30. I’m a very flexible person."

Usually the traffic goes the other direction on Trump Street: best buddies become Stupid Steve, attacks on Sessions.... so many examples to draw from.

In his defense, it is something of an American trait to trade insults with good friends as a means to show how strong the friendship is... Trump may be a bit envious of the power LRM has, too

He is managing  the North Korean quite well.  To all the detractors, the past strategies have all failed to contain the North Koreans and to prevent the nuclear arsenal growth. Instead, Pakistan and Iran provided the  materials and necessary expertise to help the North Koreans. 

Now it's Trump who is going to address the long standing problem(s). So far, he has done no worse than past administrations.

"I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un," Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. "I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised."

Just another example of the real dotard, and the parallel universe he occupies. I really think he should get back on his meds. He is an utter incompetent neophyte, and a nincompoop, who proves everyones doubts every time he opens his mouth. He literally just makes this stuff up as he goes along. He started telling lies to his grandmother when he was three years old. And he has been doing it ever since. Up until now, he has not really had the world stage he has always craved. Now, his words are being studied, and the world is figuring out what a circus clown huckster charlatan, he really is.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

He is managing  the North Korean quite well.  To all the detractors, the past strategies have all failed to contain the North Koreans and to prevent the nuclear arsenal growth. Instead, Pakistan and Iran provided the  materials and necessary expertise to help the North Koreans. 

Now it's Trump who is going to address the long standing problem(s). So far, he has done no worse than past administrations.

Since Trump has been in power, NK has made more nuclear weapons tests and is further improving its missle arsenal, so I suppose you are correct, he has done no worse than other administrations, but certainly no better.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Wrong. The North Koreans have tuned in more missile technology in the last year than at any other time I can recall. Like his buddy Vlad was just saying Trump got played huge. This has been the polar opposite of containment. This is from Trump buddy Murdock's media.

https://news.sky.com/story/putin-says-north-koreas-kim-jong-un-has-won-this-round-with-trump-11203985