Cries go unheeded as pretty Soi Cowboy waitress found strangled and battered in nearby building

webfact

Cries go unheeded as pretty Soi Cowboy waitress found strangled and battered in nearby building

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A waitress from Bangkok's famous Red Light strip of Soi Cowboy was yesterday found strangled and battered to death in a building undergoing refurbishment in Soi 23.

Her desperate cries for help from the third floor of a building went unheeded. She was found next day.

The last man to be seen with her was a Thai military deserter.

Daily News yesterday named the victim as 27 year old Saranya. She was found by workmen in the third floor toilet of a building undergoing renovation near to Soi Cowboy where she worked.

They called her a pretty waitress with many men interested in her.

She was wearing a sky blue top that had been pushed up revealing her underwear. Found face up, she was also wearing grey shorts.

There were signs of strangulation with a rope and head trauma. She had been dead at least 10 hours when she was found yesterday.

Daily News quoting police said that people working on the first two floors of the building had seen her with a man on Wednesday afternoon. They had heard her cries for help as an argument ensued but no one dared intervene.

The body was discovered next day, Thursday.

Thong Lor police led by Athiphong Sripho are investigating. They want to speak to a man known only as "Tee" who was involved with her. He assaulted her frequently and liked to borrow money from her, they said.

Daily News said he had fled the military and was of no fixed abode.

Soi Cowboy is a strip of bars, clubs and restaurants between Sukhumvit Road Sois 21 and 23.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-12

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" They had heard her cries for help as an argument ensued but no one dared intervene."

yes but a 10 on 1 fight can be easily arranged but no one can get together to go help a woman screaming for help.

Cowardly filth.

RIP young woman.

and execute the boyfriend.

Next case.

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

They had heard her cries for help as an argument ensued but no one dared intervene.

That says all that needs to be said. Shameful, cowardly but expected in a country where the abuse of women is accepted and encouraged by far too many men.

Face.

Privacy

Those are the problem.

Hate to say it. Really hate to say it. But I have to: 

What will the outcome be? 500 baht fine and a “khaw tote”..... or is it a “well he is a nephew of P’Lek, and P’Lek owns 3 Mercedes so he’s off the hook! Sounds like I’ve become one of the thaivisa pessimists eh!? But it’s <deleted> true!!!!

For all those blaming this incident not being reported, I would like to ask for your honesty.

What would you do if you heard a domestic argument? This is obviously assuming that you can't differentiate between a domestic and a murder, which most people wouldn't be able to.

In all the years I have been here, and all the arguing I have heard, I will be honest that I have never interfered and if I didn't actually see what was going on, I would have no intention of ever doing so. Same would apply in my home country. 

Too many people like to think they would do what is probably morally correct in a situation until that situation happens and they end up doing nothing. Easier to blame everyone else for not doing something than being truthful with yourselves. 

21 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

For all those blaming this incident not being reported, I would like to ask for your honesty.

What would you do if you heard a domestic argument? This is obviously assuming that you can't differentiate between a domestic and a murder, which most people wouldn't be able to.

In all the years I have been here, and all the arguing I have heard, I will be honest that I have never interfered and if I didn't actually see what was going on, I would have no intention of ever doing so. Same would apply in my home country. 

Too many people like to think they would do what is probably morally correct in a situation until that situation happens and they end up doing nothing. Easier to blame everyone else for not doing something than being truthful with yourselves. 

Twice I've intervened in Thailand. Once in the apartment next door to mine in Sukhumvit when I went and knocked on the door and asked if all were ok. Girl left and ran away, guy threatened me but moved out of the building 2 days later. Thai v Thai. 

Once in the street on Suk Road when a young farang guy was threatening abd slapping his Thai girlfriend on a long walk down from Soi 4 all the way to Asoke. I simply followed and then intervened when he started blocking her and then slapping her. He told me to <deleted> off etc etc but eventually he let her go and she bolted to the BTS. An American guy got my back when the young guy looked like he might get physical. 

Obviously one needs to exercise some discretion but doing nothing when a fellow human is being physically assaulted isn't an option IMO.  

No one dared to intervene..I remember I was in Phayao and saw 2 couples walking and one the guys started slapping the girl around, got on top of her and didn't stop. This was right in front of an outside eating area with plenty of people to witness. I just got done talking to a lady that told me her husband used to 'thai boxing' her and was sickened then I see this. I ran over to help and the girl of the other couple started pushing me away so what was I to do? push her out of the way to get to him? Well it was enough that I ran over because he saw me coming and stopped. I was <deleted>*king furious! NO ONE did a damn thing!! and why? because it is totally accepted in this culture where the little small d*cked boys grow up coddled and immature and where violence, especially in the family, is mai pen rai time. Absolutely abhorrent that this is systemically part of the culture...yes it is!
RIP young girl 

40 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

So the construction workers, being one floor under the screaming, pleading for help, didn't think to gather several together, and at the very minimum, stick their heads up stairs to see what the hell was going on?,,, I'm assuming she was screaming HELP, HELP ME in Thai,, and also assume those right below her, speak/understand Thai also?... to think that not ONE of them looked into it, or at the VERY LEAST called the police is SAD!.. So the guy murdered her,, screaming stopped, he walked away, and those below below didn't look into it until the next morning, and that's "OK" in your book?

The men who heard her cries for help were no men at all bunch of push overs. What a country... don’t voice your opinion and don’t get involved is the mottos of their lives. If you see a crime and don’t interfere then morally you are just as guilty as the perpetrators.... so these workers on floor below are accountable and should be changed as accomplices, yes I know will never happen. RIP 

36 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Not getting involved is not an attribute that Thais solely have, it is common place world wide.

Unless it's a garranteed 10 on one Farlang,, PLENTY ready to get involved,  wether they know the Thai involved or not,,  and show their "braveness",,, 

They had heard her cries for help as an argument ensued but no one dared intervene.

That says all that needs to be said. Shameful, cowardly but expected in a country where the abuse of women is accepted and encouraged by far too many men.

Unfortunately it's well documented that enraged thai men will turn on anybody intervening. Being military he was probably carrying a gun but preferred strangulation

RIP

5 hours ago, chivo said:

Hate to say it. Really hate to say it. But I have to: 

What will the outcome be? 500 baht fine and a “khaw tote”..... or is it a “well he is a nephew of P’Lek, and P’Lek owns 3 Mercedes so he’s off the hook! Sounds like I’ve become one of the thaivisa pessimists eh!? But it’s <deleted> true!!!!

"But it’s <deleted> true!!!!"

Fortunately, that isn't true.

56 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

You'd be right if it wasn't for the fact that so many Thaivisa members profess to be hard-as-nails paragons of virtue.

Edited by Just Weird

Speak to any Thai about domestic violence and the standard response from all will be, "Don't get involved."

This is the way people think and act in Thailand.

What are the factors that have led to this cultural norm?

1. Previous bad experiences of helping a woman suffering violence. Perhaps one or both attack the person trying to intervene.

2. Pointlessness. The abused often goes straight back to the abuser for another beating repeatedly.

3. No help from others. If you do this, you will be on your own.

4. No help from the authorities. The police will absolutely not want to get involved.

5. Prevalence of gratuitous violence in Thai society. Thailand rates of homicide and serious assault are very high. People know this and try to avoid becoming a victim.

So, until you have a cultural, moral, legal and social change in society (all 4 are required), this situation will repeat every day in every province.

hmm,...Easy to say "I would do this,... I would not let this happen,..

We all read story's about people trying to help a woman/girl been assaulted and been killed in the process.

In some cases the woman joins in with her aggressor (angry boyfriend/husband) to fight the person that had the courage to intervene.

If I learned one thing in life ! it's to mind my own business and stay out of trouble. the rest is up to the situation..?!

Regards.

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

When you think the attitude and morals in thailand has reached a new low an even worse incident hits the news. Thailand is a lost cause it seems

Do you generalize much? Every country in the world has such crime cases. Your own country may have even more.