Mazda 2 vs Mazda 3

maxipeon

Hello there,

I'm looking to buy a new car in one or two month in BKK. And I tried the Mazda 2 it was a really good little car. I not tried the Mazda 3 yet (the dealer did not have it for test drive at this time), but it's a very good looking car.

Do you think the Mazda 3 worth the extra money? (789 000b for the M2 / 988 000b for the M3)

PS: if some of you know where I can make a good deal around bkk, I take it!

So you compare I guess the M2 diesel vs the 2.0 Benzine. For Bkk driving the Diesel for sure consumes much less. My two sons have the Diesel and the consumption is great. They are really quite nippy little cars...swift. The M3 is quite a big bigger, which can be good and not...depending on your usage. Definitely much higher fuel consumption if this is important to you. I did test drove the M3 2 years ago and thought it drove well planted and overall a good driving car.

One thing i have to say about the M2 is that both of my sons car had suspension issues after 1 year...fixed under warranty but still a little 'dent' in the otherwise pleasant ownership.

For me it all depends on what you are looking for, for under/just around 1m in my opinion:

Best Handling/performance: 1) Ford Focus 1.5 ecoboost 2) Honda Civic RS 1.5 turbo 3) Mazda 3

Best Space/luggage: 1) Honda HR-V, 2) Subaru XV

Best Fuel Efficiency: 1) Mazda 2

Best Resale: 1) Toyota Altis, Honda Civic 2.0

Just my opinion and it all depends what we each need or want in a car....wouldn't buy anything but the HR-V if i need to transport a big dog for example...hehe.

Thank you for your answer,

I like the civic RS but it's a little bit pricey for me, I want to spend less than a million for my car. For the HRV maybe I will wait to see the minor change Honda will make this year.

For me it's all also all about the aspect of the car also, I want to love my car! And the red mazda 3 do the job for me.

(the mazda 2 is also kind of cute).

But after that, I would like a little bigger than a subcompact, so more space, good handling and perf, and good resale it can be an option (mazda resale is not that good?).
I prefer also hatchback car. And for the fuel efficiency, it's not my main concern but it's always a plus. I live in Nonthaburi we have a little bit less traffic here.

9 minutes ago, maxipeon said:

Thank you for your answer,

I like the civic RS but it's a little bit pricey for me, I want to spend less than a million for my car. For the HRV maybe I will wait to see the minor change Honda will make this year.

For me it's all also all about the aspect of the car also, I want to love my car! And the red mazda 3 do the job for me.

(the mazda 2 is also kind of cute).

But after that, I would like a little bigger than a subcompact, so more space, good handling and perf, and good resale it can be an option (mazda resale is not that good?).
I prefer also hatchback car. And for the fuel efficiency, it's not my main concern but it's always a plus. I live in Nonthaburi we have a little bit less traffic here.

We have the Civic RS ... it has a great big boot. We only bought the RS version because it has a full set of air bags. The  normal 1.5 and the 1.8's don't have the full set. The Civic RS has the same engine as the 1.5. If you are happy with 6 airbags you don't need to pay all the extra thb for the RS.

JoeW bought the 1.8 and changed a few things ... he is very happy with it. We tested the Mazda3, Focus and Civic. Our opinion Civic is preferable ... plenty  of room in the rear.

The 2.0 l gasoline engine has also a quite good fuel economy - dependent on your driving style. Our Mazda 3 used about 7 l/100km with 95, 7.2 with E20 and 8.8 with E85.

The Mazda 3 has the better performance than the Mazda 2, but you have to rev the engine - which is fun. The Mazda 3 is roomier then the Mazda 2 but you sit lower. The rear passengers are sitting lower, too. The ride of the Mazda 3 is also harsher than with the Mazda 2.

I changed my Mazda 3 to a CX-3 because of the better sitting position and the higher ground clearance. I can live with the smaller space because our Familie car us the new CX-5. We will probably upgrade to the CX-8.

I seem to see a good amount of MG Compacts driving around Pattaya - whats the scoop on them - made in Thailand or India??  But I rented a Maxda CX-5 last year for a month in Hawaii, fun car to drive, very comfortable and all highway driving - I drive about 120 miles a day five days a week in that.  +++

Edited by TunnelRat69

I have the Mazda 2 non diesel.  I got it at the car show in BKK last year and got about 30000 in extras thrown in (Fully loaded 610000 including 10000 extra for Mazda red loan rate. 0.9%).  Other dealers at the same show would not even match the deal I was offered.  I would have preferred the Mazda 3 but for the money did not want to go there.  The Mazda 2 and 3 diesels are in the middle of some kind of recall or class action suit my wife is telling me so if you want diesel check on that first.  Also I found the split rear seat in the Mazda 2 sedan had more room than the hatchback.

The dealer was in Nonthaburi.  Call them.

https://www.facebook.com/Mazda-MZ-537157773008060/

No more Hondas for me.

Mine: Cracked engine block

Moms: Tranny crapped out after 30000 miles

GF's: Aircon dead after first year, never properly replaced or repaired.  Class action suit had 1 million similar complaints.

Edited by csabo

I also narrowed down my choice of new car to either a Mazda2 and Mazda3.  I test drove them both and liked them equally.  Mazda2 very nice and Mazda3 even nicer.  At the end of the day, I went for the Mazda2 because it was more than enough car for me and it was cheaper and uses less gas.  Mazda2 is small, but it drives / feels like a "real car", not like a miniature car.  Honestly, whichever you choose you cannot go wrong with either of these models!

Frankfukett above gave decent advice, but i add to that...diesel absolutely...eventually all small cars sustain  suspension  demise and damages due to Thailand are number two in Asia for worst ROADS..Thats why most prefer a truck vs an automobile..Has a Frame underneath vs unibody...more safety, higher resale, less chance being Bullied on the road...ETC

Frankfukett above gave decent advice, but i add to that...diesel absolutely...eventually all small cars sustain  suspension  demise and damages due to Thailand are number two in Asia for worst ROADS..Thats why most prefer a truck vs an automobile..Has a Frame underneath vs unibody...more safety, higher resale, less chance being Bullied on the road...ETC

The trucks are heavier but not safer (in most cases). The trucks also have a more harsher, less comfortable ride.

P/S Love my Mazda BT-50
Unknown.jpeg.8dc0e19854b62ce29d73d69c2f45bd85.jpeg

We (my Thai relatives) drive the BT-50. It is a good truck, but meanwhile outdated concerning interior design, comfort and safety features.

But we have to wait some years until the new Isuzu-based BT-50 is a available.

I'm a tall person (192cm) plus I wanted a 2 liter engine so I purchased the Mazda 3. It's been 3 years since I purchased it and am still loving the car. It's quick and fun to drive. Handles the twisties very well. Take a test drive and then make your decision. I think it's the best looking hatchback out there.

IMGP0009.JPG

Edited by Rdrokit

On 1/12/2018 at 1:43 PM, frankphuket said:

So you compare I guess the M2 diesel vs the 2.0 Benzine. For Bkk driving the Diesel for sure consumes much less. My two sons have the Diesel and the consumption is great. They are really quite nippy little cars...swift. The M3 is quite a big bigger, which can be good and not...depending on your usage. Definitely much higher fuel consumption if this is important to you. I did test drove the M3 2 years ago and thought it drove well planted and overall a good driving car.

One thing i have to say about the M2 is that both of my sons car had suspension issues after 1 year...fixed under warranty but still a little 'dent' in the otherwise pleasant ownership.

For me it all depends on what you are looking for, for under/just around 1m in my opinion:

Best Handling/performance: 1) Ford Focus 1.5 ecoboost 2) Honda Civic RS 1.5 turbo 3) Mazda 3

Best Space/luggage: 1) Honda HR-V, 2) Subaru XV

Best Fuel Efficiency: 1) Mazda 2

Best Resale: 1) Toyota Altis, Honda Civic 2.0

Just my opinion and it all depends what we each need or want in a car....wouldn't buy anything but the HR-V if i need to transport a big dog for example...hehe.

'So you compare I guess the M2 diesel vs the 2.0 Benzine.' That sounds like a reference to the Mazda 2 for both. It, of course, doesn't come with a 2.0; 1.3 or 1.5, only.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, JAS21 said:

We have the Civic RS ... it has a great big boot. We only bought the RS version because it has a full set of air bags. The  normal 1.5 and the 1.8's don't have the full set. The Civic RS has the same engine as the 1.5. If you are happy with 6 airbags you don't need to pay all the extra thb for the RS.

JoeW bought the 1.8 and changed a few things ... he is very happy with it. We tested the Mazda3, Focus and Civic. Our opinion Civic is preferable ... plenty  of room in the rear.

I am very happy with the 1.8, but I did have to make certain adjustments so it would be up to my liking.

At the top of my head I made the following adjustments:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires 225/35/R18 on new rims

2. Tein S-Tech lowering springs

3. Replaced all internal lights with LEDs

4. Replaced all external lights with LEDs except for brake lights etc which are already LED

5. Changed headlights to Xenon

6. Ultra Racing Strut Bar + Honda Civic Type R OEM sway bar

7. Carbon fiber front lip + Carbon fiber side skirts

8. Change Horn to Accord horn

9. K&N Air Filter

10. IPF LED foglights

11. All seals from the Turbo RS model. For some reason the RS model has more door seals etc. You can buy them for honda for less than 300 baht

12. Exedy Oil Filter and running 5W30 Moty Oil instead of OEM 0W20.

I think that's most of the things which I changed...still contemplating on upgrading the brakes, but for now I am quite happy with it. The handling of the car has improved a lot after changing the tires, and adding a strut bar and stiffer sway bar. 

Thanks for all your answers,

First I wanted SUV for a higher driving seat and more safety (just because I'm scare to drive in thailand for the first time), but I saw the price of this kind of car here, and it's expensive. So I was thinking about a pick up truck, I really like the Ford Ranger. But I see that he would be expensive for get a good interior and safety option (3.2 WT= 1M2) and fuel consomption... And I read here that pick-up truck are not more safer than compact car... (arguably).

So now I'm looking for a compact car. I read a lot of review and I feel like the mazda 2 is the best sub-compact car on the market right now (in Thailand ofc). But I really like the look of the mazda 3 and it's more or less the same interior.. I prefer hatchback cars, and the civic one is too expensive, and I don't  want the same car than all the taxi so it's a no for the altis.

Rest the crossover, the HR-V is kind of cool but I don't want to wait for their new version later this year. C-HR, "ugly" and expensive, same for the ford one. Rest the CX-3 mazda again. I need to test drive some cars.

20 hours ago, JoeW said:

I am very happy with the 1.8, but I did have to make certain adjustments so it would be up to my liking.

At the top of my head I made the following adjustments:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires 225/35/R18 on new rims

2. Tein S-Tech lowering springs

3. Replaced all internal lights with LEDs

4. Replaced all external lights with LEDs except for brake lights etc which are already LED

5. Changed headlights to Xenon

6. Ultra Racing Strut Bar + Honda Civic Type R OEM sway bar

7. Carbon fiber front lip + Carbon fiber side skirts

8. Change Horn to Accord horn

9. K&N Air Filter

10. IPF LED foglights

11. All seals from the Turbo RS model. For some reason the RS model has more door seals etc. You can buy them for honda for less than 300 baht

12. Exedy Oil Filter and running 5W30 Moty Oil instead of OEM 0W20.

I think that's most of the things which I changed...still contemplating on upgrading the brakes, but for now I am quite happy with it. The handling of the car has improved a lot after changing the tires, and adding a strut bar and stiffer sway bar. 

That's how the car looks at the moment.

IMG_20180115_174458.jpg

IMG_20180115_174453.jpg

The black grill costs 3,900 THB from Honda.

The Carbon Fiber Front Lip costs 8,900 THB from NK Garage

The Side Skirts (not yet installed in this picture as I was getting the car lowered) cost 15,000 THB from NK Garage.

Mazda has a new 3 out next year, a much better looking car.

The new civic 1.5 hatch looks really practical and has a peach of an engine(don't get the noisy 1.8)

Imo that's what I'd get if buying now.

Or maybe wait for the new Toyota CHR; the MID hybrid spec looks the best value imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

On 12/01/2018 at 3:43 PM, frankphuket said:

For Bkk driving the Diesel for sure consumes much less. My two sons have the Diesel and the consumption is great.

City driving is a bad fit for modern Diesel engines just take a look at DPF problems and a replacement DPF is very expensive.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

City driving is a bad fit for modern Diesel engines just take a look at DPF problems and a replacement DPF is very expensive.

absolutely, but it's something many dealers fail to tell their customers.

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

absolutely, but it's something many dealers fail to tell their customers.

How many diesels have DPF here in Thailand ... I know that the V-Cross we had didn't.  I know that the 520d we had did ... need to look at the handbook to see if the EV does ...

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

How many diesels have DPF here in Thailand ... I know that the V-Cross we had didn't.  I know that the 520d we had did ... need to look at the handbook to see if the EV does ...

Mazda 2, Mazda CX5 -> It's so bad that they are involved in a lawsuit regarding both car's DPFs breaking down and completely wrecking the engines. Not sure about the EV...

On 1/17/2018 at 8:38 PM, JoeW said:

Mazda 2, Mazda CX5 -> It's so bad that they are involved in a lawsuit regarding both car's DPFs breaking down and completely wrecking the engines. Not sure about the EV...

both my sons have driven more than 30,000 & 50,000 km in their M2 diesels (one in Bkk nearly only city driving) and no issues with engine....only some issues with suspension. Doesn't mean those problems will come, but just to let you know the experience we had