Ten pickup drivers charged for ‘hooning’ in Chalong

rooster59

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

Asking the question in this manner implies two things. Firstly, what does it mean (I also never heard of it). Secondly, and perhaps more to the point, why is a local Australian word barely known outside the country being used in a headline of an article that has nothing to do with Australia? 

I think you find that local English news articles are edited by Australian nationals.

10 hours ago, Old Croc said:

There are far too many members here who find it easier to ask on the forum about any word of phrase that didn't originate in their little part of the world. A troll on another thread recently asked about the meaning of "skin in the game". Their attitudes often seem to be that as they don't know the word, it shouldn't exist.

They fit into the same category as some old farts who proudly proclaim they have never heard of some celebrity or other and therefore that person can't have that title.

I will always first check google, wiki or similar to increase my knowledge rather than display a lack of it. 

I don't think there is any harm in asking what different words mean from different areas of the world. Sure, they can look it up but it spurs conversation and opinions. No harm done.

BTW, what is Google?

Edited by Coconut Kidd

On 1/13/2018 at 8:20 AM, Old Croc said:

There are far too many members here who find it easier to ask on the forum about any word of phrase that didn't originate in their little part of the world. A troll on another thread recently asked about the meaning of "skin in the game". Their attitudes often seem to be that as they don't know the word, it shouldn't exist.

They fit into the same category as some old farts who proudly proclaim they have never heard of some celebrity or other and therefore that person can't have that title.

I will always first check google, wiki or similar to increase my knowledge rather than display a lack of it. 

And does your need to Google everything include the definition of Ph?  How about solving the derivation of the Quadratic Equation.  Just ask me.  But I really don’t know about some celebrity nor do I likely care.

Believe it or not some things do not interest me and I am not spending time looking them up.

Just go back to Google!

Edited by metisdead
Over size font re-set to normal.

12 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

And does your need to Google everything include the definition of Ph?  How about solving the derivation of the Quadratic Equation.  Just ask me.  But I really don’t know about some celebrity nor do I likely care.

Believe it or not some things do not interest me and I am not spending time looking them up.

Just go back to Google!

Off topic, but you did not get the message.

Fine if you don't care about a celebrity, but then don't say he can't be one because you don't know him. And if you don't care about that celebrity I'm sure you won't be posting in a thread about him/her.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Off topic, but you did not get the message.

Fine if you don't care about a celebrity, but then don't say he can't be one because you don't know him. And if you don't care about that celebrity I'm sure you won't be posting in a thread about him/her.

You can be sure that I will not be posting about a celebrity.  Most likely I will not know or care who or what they are.  I have not said anything about any celebrity much less that he can't be one.

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I disagree. Having driven and ridden here for 4 years now, I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving. And that despite the lack of formal training.

All countries have their share of idiot drivers and Thailand is no exception to that, but it is grossly unfair to 'tar brush' them all, for the behaviour of the few.

Thailands share of idiot drivers are certainly busy and inordinately successful

Who needs the grim reaper when those Muppets are on call 24/7

8 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Hooning is the common word we use for any anti-social behaviour conducted in a motor vehicle—a car, van or motorbike—such as speeding, street racing, burnouts and playing loud music from a car stereo

Who exactly is the we

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I disagree. Having driven and ridden here for 4 years now, I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving. And that despite the lack of formal training.

All countries have their share of idiot drivers and Thailand is no exception to that, but it is grossly unfair to 'tar brush' them all, for the behaviour of the few.

Are you , Mad , Absolute Bedlam on roads, Di  you even own a ? vehicle, join Thailand Driving  on Facebook and get back to me, for a refresher , Anyways, 55555

Edited by Nice Boyd

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Maybe I am. I live and do most of my travelling in the north east of Issan and I am speaking of my own direct experience.

But I am well aware, and again I'm speaking from my own experience, that life on the roads does indeed become more frenzied as one moves south. But I've also had the same experience when going from my old home in rural Herefordshire to the frantic streets of Greater London.

I agree to that some areas in North eastern Isaan are not so bad as the situation in the south. The road rage situation and general driving behavior in Thailand has become almost hostile during the last 5 years, I wonder why?

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I agree to that some areas in North eastern Isaan are not so bad as the situation in the south. The road rage situation and general driving behavior in Thailand has become almost hostile during the last 5 years, I wonder why?

And yet most accidents and deaths during the recent 7 day holiday period occurred in northern areas. (I googled it!).

How does that fit into your theory?

13 hours ago, Coconut Kidd said:

I don't think there is any harm in asking what different words mean from different areas of the world. Sure, they can look it up but it spurs conversation and opinions. No harm done.

BTW, what is Google?

Look it up!

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

And yet most accidents and deaths during the recent 7 day holiday period occurred in northern areas. (I googled it!).

I wrote in some areas in North eastern Isaan (not in all areas) I lived in Udon for a while and traffic there was not very good.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

In the original post, were all eight called

Were all eight called this?

Is it really that difficult to just have a look at the OP, and follow the link provided there?

Edited by stevenl

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:08 PM, Nice Boyd said:

Are you , Mad , Absolute Bedlam on roads, Di  you even own a ? vehicle, join Thailand Driving  on Facebook and get back to me, for a refresher , Anyways, 55555

I driven and ridden for over 50 years and in some cases, in countries that make Thailand a driver's dream place to be. Try India and Egypt for instance. There are many countries on this planet that are a whole lot worse than this one.

The only time I encounter bedlam on the roads is when I take a trip into Udon Thani during rush hour, thankfully that's not very often. The same comment can also be made, of course, about just about every city in the world. Which one do you live in, or frequent, by the way?

And yes, I do have a car here and a motorcycle and enjoy them both. And no Nice(?) Boyd, I am not mad! :smile:

Have a nice, and a safe, day.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Moonlover said:

In the full report, one of the drivers admits that the incident took place after a 'late new year's party'.

So I guess that had the police been on the ball at the time they could also have had them all up for drunk driving as well.

Objection, your honor!  Speculation about drunk driving. Judge.  Sustained.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, Old Croc said:

Go to any village in the north east region and observe what happens whenever there is a celebration party and there are plenty of those going on throughout the year, not just during the so called '7 deadly days'.

Drunkenness is the norm and just about everyone who departs the event, drives or rides.

I was at one last year near Sawang Dan Din. And I watched motorcycle after motorcycle wobble and weave away from the venue and was not surprised to hear later that there had been 3 motorcycle accidents in and around the village.

You will, I'm sure have come across this and similar quotes a number of times, this I took from Richard Barrow's web site.

' The leading causes of accidents every year is drunk driving and speeding. Most accidents involve motorcycles.'

And as I and many others have observed, this doesn't just apply during the holiday periods.