Canadian man being held against his will in Thailand, family says

Jonathan Fairfield

5 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Hi guys! With the help of the Thai-Canadian Embassy, we have been able to locate Shawn. He is being held at a police station in Bangkok that literally - on its GOOGLE MAPS reviews - has multiple people from other countries who were tourists there saying that the 'police' at this station are known for working with night club owners in the area to set up foreigners to scam their families out of money.

Gofundyourself.-:shock1:

The scam would be he was sold some weed a small amount and the police were informed and they picked him up and are now holding him. Asking for $5000 indicates its a minor offence. They don't take people off of the street for nothing and hold them. There are enough naive tourists for the police to prey on

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

The scam would be he was sold some weed a small amount and the police were informed and they picked him up and are now holding him. Asking for $5000 indicates its a minor offence. They don't take people off of the street for nothing and hold them. There are enough naive tourists for the police to prey on

The dealer making money on both ends of the deal does not make him innocent of the offence....  it makes him stupid to trust an unknown source.   Naive -- maybe, innocent not, guilty most likely.   

Edited by bkkcanuck8

From the Travel advice website (travel.gc.ca - official warnings):

Enforcement action against people involved in all aspects of illicit drugs has increased. Penalties for possession, use or trafficking of illegal drugs are very strict and include the death penalty for serious offences. The possession of even small amounts of illegal drugs, including marijuana, can result in severe fines and prison sentences. Arrested offenders may be prevented from leaving Thailand while legal proceedings are in process.

It is a pretty blunt warning, if he ignored it or decided it was not worth his time to do any research -- he only has himself to blame.

9 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The dealer making money on both ends of the deal does not make him innocent of the offence....  it makes him stupid to trust an unknown source.   Naive -- maybe, innocent not, guilty most likely.   

Did I say he was innocent? quite the contrary I said he was nicked with weed

3 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Do the crime .....Do the time!:post-4641-1156693976:

Being held against his Will?....Of course he is ...He wants out but police will keep him until he pays for his crime (drugs):shock1:

It seems to be too late now and he'll face a great legal system. 

It works, Shawn. Why not a bit more?

This campaign is trending!

$3,326 of $5,000 goal

Raised by 86 people in 5 days
Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

It seems to be too late now and he'll face a great legal system. 

in his situation i don't see how the legal system will be any different to most places. he will go court and either be told what his fine is or what his jail term is depending on how much he had and how he acted with the BIB when they caught him and in the cells etc. if a small amount of weed i think he'll get a suspended prison sentence and fine and possibly be told to leave

10 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

in his situation i don't see how the legal system will be any different to most places. he will go court and either be told what his fine is or what his jail term is depending on how much he had and how he acted with the BIB when they caught him and in the cells etc. if a small amount of weed i think he'll get a suspended prison sentence and fine and possibly be told to leave

I meant that it's too late now, because the cops didn't get paid before he ended up in prison. Happened to a friend a long time ago when he got caught buying a very small amount of heroine. His friends could pay his way out of a police station before he was sent to jail. 

He can only hope that it was a small amount and he didn't smuggle weed into Thailand. 

Just now, jenny2017 said:

I meant that it's too late now, because the cops didn't get paid before he ended up in prison. Happened to a friend a long time ago when he got caught buying a very small amount of heroine. His friends could pay his way out of a police station before he was sent to jail. 

He can only hope that it was a small amount and he didn't smuggle weed into Thailand. 

he will be in the holding cells not prison, same shit i suppose but holding cells are probably worse as you can't get out at all for a walk or anything, no windows usually too. he'll just have to sit it out and hope for the best at court. they'll take him to the court in shackles in a cage van for all the bangkok motorists to have a good giggle at. not ideal at all. thailand has never minced it words on this, don't dabble in drugs or face the consequences, consequences that are likely going to be much worse than your home country if you are from the west

Maybe I am missing something but if he is pleading guilty to distribution he had more than a joint or 2 in his possession.  Also this is not something the cops would set up.  They could trap him but he would still have to have the weed to offer to the cop.

3 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

And there it is. The go fund me page set up. What a suprise!!!!!!. What a baby. Drugs, Thailand and jail. Dumbass. Hope he has a nice long stay in the monkey house. He came to thailand for drugs and sex. Here comes the sex part. 55555

You asked for it, you got it, bend over...

10 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Maybe I am missing something but if he is pleading guilty to distribution he had more than a joint or 2 in his possession.  Also this is not something the cops would set up.  They could trap him but he would still have to have the weed to offer to the cop.

He's playing a dangerous game now. Of course is the distribution of weed something that's usually done by brownish boys. I don't think it was only a few joints. 

Kao san rd. seems to be the perfect address for any cops, pseudo cops, and informers. 

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I almost reported it (the GoFindMe) already based on the BS in the news article but have been trying to find a local news article about his arrest first. No luck searching the National and Bangkok Post sites. I even tweeted the Global News reporter to see if she actually received a message from "Global Affairs Canada" acknowledging that a Canadian had been arrested in Bangkok, or if someone else told her that they had received such a message.

Might try contacting Global Affairs Canada myself. 

Don't bother, as a third party you will be given no more information than is here.

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Driving my car at 150 mph on the motorway should not be illegal, I think, but it is. So if I do it and get caught I pay the price.

Drugs are illegal, use them, sell them and if caught pay the price.

Analogy is a bit wrong, because by doing MH your not endangering others.. its a victim-less crime.. now speeding on the motorway is a different story as by that act you do endanger others. 

Your other part of the analogy that both things are against the law and you will pay the price if caught is totally right.  

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Hi guys! With the help of the Thai-Canadian Embassy, we have been able to locate Shawn. He is being held at a police station in Bangkok that literally - on its GOOGLE MAPS reviews - has multiple people from other countries who were tourists there saying that the 'police' at this station are known for working with night club owners in the area to set up foreigners to scam their families out of money.

Gofundyourself.-:shock1:

Oh, well done!  That was known 2 days ago, it's in the OP link...

“Global Affairs Canada is aware of the arrest of a Canadian citizen in Thailand and consular officials are in contact with local authorities, the individual and the family...The last time friends spoke to the Canadian Embassy, they were told Johnson was being held at a police station in Bangkok.”

36 minutes ago, robblok said:
Analogy is a bit wrong, because by doing MH your not endangering others.. its a victim-less crime.. now speeding on the motorway is a different story as by that act you do endanger others. 

Your other part of the analogy that both things are against the law and you will pay the price if caught is totally right.  

And there is a victim.....him, a victim of his own stupidity.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by F4UCorsair

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

he will be in the holding cells not prison, same shit i suppose but holding cells are probably worse as you can't get out at all for a walk or anything, no windows usually too. he'll just have to sit it out and hope for the best at court. they'll take him to the court in shackles in a cage van for all the bangkok motorists to have a good giggle at. not ideal at all. thailand has never minced it words on this, don't dabble in drugs or face the consequences, consequences that are likely going to be much worse than your home country if you are from the west

You had the luxury of a cage van?   I made the same trip from Lumpini police station to court handcuffed to the bed of a police pickup on at least two occasions for the amusement of onlookers.  Red traffic lights were the best part.

47 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

33 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

He's playing a dangerous game now. Of course is the distribution of weed something that's usually done by brownish boys. I don't think it was only a few joints. 

Kao san rd. seems to be the perfect address for any cops, pseudo cops, and informers. 

I thought it was odd as well. From what I've read, you can be charged with "possession" if the quantity is less than 10 kgs. "Possession" carries a 5 year max sentence. However, "distribution" carries a max sentence of 10 years.

The difference of course could be intent. If he was merely in possession of some weed then a "possession" charge would seem more appropriate.

However, if he was caught trying to sell the weed, that would be a different story (regardless of the amount). 

Been going to thailand now for 21 years and have never had a problem other than a traffic ticket. A man traveling alone is no problem. These people act like this person was set up, I doubt that very much. he was stupid thinking he could use drugs while in thailand and it would be ok. Just looking at the pic...seems like a typical entitled punk, and he got caught. The family is either in denial, or just probably trying to get sympathy. I surely hope no one is stupid enough to send these idiots any money. Enjoy your stay in jail....maybe when you get out, you will be a bit smarter.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You had the luxury of a cage van?   I made the same trip from Lumpini police station to court handcuffed to the bed of a police pickup on at least two occasions for the amusement of onlookers.  Red traffic lights were the best part.

yeah, red lights were a killer. i got caught at a club in tonglor so was a very well dressed young farang in the back of a cage in shackles in morning rush hour traffic with a load of thai yaba boys. bloody embarrassing 555 never again