roosters in temples and near monuments?

dauu

What is the reason there are statues of rooster in the temples.and near the monuments (of heroes from Thai history) in Thailand

After all, those who put them there are Thai residents
There are monuments with hundreds of statues of a large /small rooster

Whilst Ayutthaya was under Burmese rule Prince (later King) Naresuan was held captive/hostage by the Burmese in Pegu where he was involved in a cock fight with a Burmese prince's cock.  Naresuan's cock won.  The Burmese prince, humiliated referred to Naresuan's cock as "war slave animal".  This made Naresuan determined to fight for freedom for the Kingdom of Ayutthaya.  And this is what is commemorated by all the cockerel figures.

The incident was popularised by the 2007 film "Naresuan" aka "Legend of King Naresuan: Hostage of Hongsawadi", Hongsawadi being another name for Pegu.

44 minutes ago, dauu said:

But why put them in the temples and near the monuments of other personalities from Thai history

The simple answer is:  to commemorate the event.

However, the real answer is, I suspect, often more to do with superstition and improving one's lot in life.  The historic cock fight was associated with gambling.  By gifting a cock figure one hopes to increase the chances of being successful at gambling during this life.

23 hours ago, dauu said:

Thanks
The story is familiar
But why put them in the temples and near the monuments of other personalities from Thai history

The spiritual energy (in this case deriving from Naresuan) that is believed to be inherent in the object itself (fetishism) is magnified by placing the object in proximity to other objects and/or locations that are also believed to have their own spiritual energy.

This maximises the power of prayers (uttered at the time of placement) and gives them a much greater chance of success.

Temples are "power stations" of spiritual energy.

The "other personalities" continue to remain as positive spiritual energy (good spirits) that exist in the location of the statue.

Edited by Enoon

26 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The spiritual energy (in this case deriving from Naresuan) that is believed to be inherent in the object itself (fetishism) is magnified by placing the object in proximity to other objects and/or locations that are also believed to have their own spiritual energy.

This maximises the power of prayers (uttered at the time of placement) and gives them a much greater chance of success.

Temples are "power stations" of spiritual energy.

The "other personalities" continue to remain as positive spiritual energy (good spirits) that exist in the location of the statue.

Here is a very interesting talk about Temples being Power Stations and a lot more.

On 1/14/2018 at 6:19 AM, dauu said:

What is the reason for roosters in temples

I was wondering the same and asked around, including good answers in this forum 1½ year ago, after I saw numerous roosters at the foot of a Spirit House...

Spirit-offerings_IMG_5977.jpg

My text for the Wikimedia Commons image upload was:

Lots of small cock figurs are placed under a Spirit House in a road curve, where other offerings are mainly red drinks. The text on figur bases says "gold money" (money gold) and "money rich" (rich money). I have asked around why cocks are offered, and got several explanations: for example Thai-men like cock-fights, so does Spirits; that they are thanks for a lucky number in lottery or any wish come true (may have to do with text "money"); and that cock-offerings expanded rapidly after a film and story (2007) about legendary King Naresuan (1555-1605) and a cock-fight he won over a prince of Burma. (Chaweng Noi Viewpoint, Koh Samui, Thailand, 2016)

:smile:

I have given up trying to understand what one finds at Temples. Yesterday at Wat Suan Somboon came across what looks like a giant whistle made from old metal nuts!
DSC_0160.JPG.3ebff2d7e02d7bc36fd6d5a49f3e4a1d.JPG

It is to commemorate the achievements of car-park attendants throughout Thailand who give selflessly to the communities they blow in.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app