New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, peperobi said:

So, the peoples can buy a car but they must let the car in the garage for at least 30 days???

Not exactly, or infact anywhere near .... my wife got the white plates the day that the garage gave her the bit of paper saying that they 'the garage' had paid the government tax etc ...if you read earlier all will become clear ...

As someone smartly pointed out, the red plates aren't going away -- but the 30 day rule will be enforced. Just how, I dunno -- there's no issue date on those plates. I suppose a temporary registration decal for the windshield could be issued -- complete with expiration date. But, no, newly purchased cars will no way sit around the dealer's lot -- until permanent plates show up. Space concerns, for one thing.

The red plate concept is not third world. In the US, you get a cardboard temporary plate, good for 30 days, spelled out right on the plate. It does take time to get your permanent plate, especially if you order a special (vanity) plate.

my wife got the white plates the day that the garage gave her the bit of paper saying that they 'the garage' had paid the government tax etc

And how long after purchase date did that take place -- or did she withhold payment until the plates arrived and she could then drive off the lot....?

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Why can't the registration be carried out within 1 week after buyer purchases the vehicle? A car not properly registered should not be allowed to leave the showroom.

Because you know that Thais always have to be different.

Nothing is ever simple here.

1 hour ago, peperobi said:

So, the peoples can buy a car but they must let the car in the garage for at least 30 days???

The wording of the OP and speed reading has caused this mass confusion. Red plates are NOT being banned. Having red plates for longer than the current, legal maximum of 30 days is being banned.

Here's my interpretation.

Red plates will STILL be issued on a new car sale. They will still have the same, current 30-day maximum legal validity.

• No change apart from the 30-day enforcement (see below).

The procedure for getting the white registration plates will be completed and CONFIRMED at the point and day of sale.

• This can only happen if the dealership pays the taxes due on the sale on the day of sale. As I mentioned earlier, there's a big clean up in getting taxes owed paid promptly. Dealerships will either have to have some sort of escrow account or just pay the money they already have instead of sitting on it.

The new owner will still drive away, same-day with the red plates.

• No change.

The new, white registration plates will arrive at the dealership within a few days of the sale completion and registration procedure whereupon the red-plated new owner will either be advised to bring the car in for plate changing or the dealership will dispatch a plate changer to where the vehicle is.

• IMHO, this will be the hardest bit to enforce as dealerships consider that any sale-related expense ended when the owner drove off the concourse. If the dealerships are fined for not recovering red plates from recalcitrant owners, they may exert a bit more effort.

• Similarly, the age-old, face-engendering social cache of having a 'new ' but 2 year-old Benz by dint of keeping the red plates as long as possible is short circuited. The police can fine illegally red-plated (greater than 30 days) Bt10,000 and ultimately may even be able to seize vehicles.

In addition, since the guys issuing the white plates will have the address of the owner, there's nothing to stop these plates being sent to the owners. As mentioned earlier, the dealer plates issued in the US are temporary, compressed cardboard but ultimately bio-degradeable and disposable. Maybe the metal red plate will disappear when this change is enacted and dealerships will issue similar throw-away plates. No social cache in having faded cardboard plates eh? Just shows you're a cheapskate.

The times they ARE a changing.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Where I live for sure your neighbors know.. but not others of course. I drive around often on my old motorbike not my car.. the looks i get :P

Years ago I purchased a new Toyota Sports Rider but told nobody even on the day my wife and I travelled 95 km to collect it from the dealer.  However, my then Thai wife must have been boasting about it, as when we arrived home in the new car, about 12-14 neighbours were lined up outside to greet us and inspect the vehicle.  She seemed delighted but I was quite embarrassed.

So the government is going to sanction new car owners for the inefficiency of the Thai bureaucracy?  Hell, that makes perfect sense, I'm sure.  If the license can be registered in one day, then why the red plates at all?  Because............................???  Took us at least a month to get our permanent plates.  That's going over like a lead balloon with the major auto industry moguls.  Let's see how long it takes to walk this pronouncement back?

However, no doubt Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and other high-end autos will be exempt.  TIT.

26 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Years ago I purchased a new Toyota Sports Rider but told nobody even on the day my wife and I travelled 95 km to collect it from the dealer.  However, my then Thai wife must have been boasting about it, as when we arrived home in the new car, about 12-14 neighbours were lined up outside to greet us and inspect the vehicle.  She seemed delighted but I was quite embarrassed.

And paradoxically, of all the different car scents available for car interiors, the Glade "new car smell" is the poorest seller in LOS. 

1 minute ago, JimGant said:

And -- just to alter course somewhat -- is it true it's illegal to drive at night with red plates? (Heard that somewhere in my past.)

I also heard that as well as it is illegal to drive the vehicle out of the district.

When you buy a new car in Australia you do not get to drive it away until it has been fully registered and had its new vehicle pre-delivery service and this normally takes 2-3 days from when you pay the money to the dealer unless you want a colour that the dealer does not have or if you want personalized number plates.

If the dealer extracts his finger and you pay him in the morning he could have your car registered that afternoon.

6 hours ago, shady86 said:

Why can't the registration be carried out within 1 week after buyer purchases the vehicle? A car not properly registered should not be allowed to leave the showroom.

Probably another Thai licencing authority like Thai Democracy, the vehicle as you say should be licenced before leaving the show rooms , what the red one is for I can only guess,  2 easy or 2 hard , take Yr pick

45 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Why can't they offer a temp plate with an expiration date on it?

Image result for temporary car plate

No doubt 3-D license plate printers will become the rage in the upper-end of Thai society.  :ph34r:
I can see it now: The Thai License Plate Mafia.  lmbo.

Good move and this new law will save a lot of headaches with the law. 4 new vehicles later and grief on 5 occasions with the BiB ...be nice to cut this out. As for some posters commenting on fancy numbers ...theres no problem with that either as the fancy number can be changed at any time after the initial registration ...just like the UK system which has always made perfect sense to me. Get rid on dem red plates, just  hi-so thing anyway ..buy a new car/bike and be happy, sad if you have to show off too eh.

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

Uuuuh....it will be an insane performance to do registration within one day. As in most countries in the World.:cheesy:

The consequences of this decision are already starting.

My license plate was stolen this morning. While I was at the police station another person came in with the same problem. Coincidence? My guess is that there are thousands of people driving on expired red plates, and the easiest and cheapest way to resolve this is just to take someone else's.

Bet the people making these rules didn't consider that.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

And -- just to alter course somewhat -- is it true it's illegal to drive at night with red plates? (Heard that somewhere in my past.)

Yup, that's the law. Something to do with NOT scaring the bejezus outta the water buffalo.

1 hour ago, connda said:

No doubt 3-D license plate printers will become the rage in the upper-end of Thai society.  :ph34r:
I can see it now: The Thai License Plate Mafia.  lmbo.

I dont understand why anyone would need a 3D printer to print a paper plate and laminate it.

having a fake plate (paper or metal) is illegal and could cost you, I am sure there will always be some who are willing to risk it.

42 minutes ago, YouYouYou said:

Good move and this new law will save a lot of headaches with the law. 4 new vehicles later and grief on 5 occasions with the BiB ...be nice to cut this out. As for some posters commenting on fancy numbers ...theres no problem with that either as the fancy number can be changed at any time after the initial registration ...just like the UK system which has always made perfect sense to me. Get rid on dem red plates, just  hi-so thing anyway ..buy a new car/bike and be happy, sad if you have to show off too eh.

No new law.

Old law enforced, fines collected while the rego process streamlined.

Red plates (or possibly a variant thereof) will still exist.

Gettit?

I personally like the red plates and think it would be a shame to not see them on the road anymore. I know part of it is showing off that you have a new car, but if it's your new pride and joy, why not. 

Like some other posters on here have mentioned though, I got nervous driving at night and in different provinces with the red plates on.

9 hours ago, shady86 said:

Or, make it very simple, specifically the responsibility of the seller to have new white plates fitted before it can leave the showroom.

Ifs seen with no plates the buyer gets fined xxBaht and the seller gets fined double that amount.  

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No new law.

Old law enforced, fines collected while the rego process streamlined.

Red plates (or possibly a variant thereof) will still exist.

Gettit?

No not got it ....OP para 3red plates  gone, history, adios. Para 5 same as 30 day maybe a stiffer fine. Oh fine reporting leaving interpretation. Next no got it get it? Nice one Nation

Archived