New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned

webfact

1 hour ago, YouYouYou said:

No not got it ....OP para 3red plates  gone, history, adios. Para 5 same as 30 day maybe a stiffer fine. Oh fine reporting leaving interpretation. Next no got it get it? Nice one Nation

Jesus, it was explained well enough if you can read and understand basic English.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Not exactly, or infact anywhere near .... my wife got the white plates the day that the garage gave her the bit of paper saying that they 'the garage' had paid the government tax etc ...if you read earlier all will become clear ...

Sorry, I buy few new cars in Thailand and always I got the information from the garage that I must wait 30 to 45 days till the plate coming....

22 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.

Some readers are not reading properly.  The 30 day rule is only being enacted PENDING the new law being brought into force.  If the new law is passed, then red plates will be illegal on a new car.

17 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I also heard that as well as it is illegal to drive the vehicle out of the district.

When you buy a new car in Australia you do not get to drive it away until it has been fully registered and had its new vehicle pre-delivery service and this normally takes 2-3 days from when you pay the money to the dealer unless you want a colour that the dealer does not have or if you want personalized number plates.

If the dealer extracts his finger and you pay him in the morning he could have your car registered that afternoon.

I bought a car in Sydney and let it get new official plates in Adelaide, all done in one day.

I did that because South Australian cars didn't need a new regy every year so my car got more value for backpackers.

Strange that australia didn't have common laws/regulations in all states.

Somehow a lot of people in this thread understood it wrong

Current law: Red license plate for a maximum of 30 days. After 30 days you can be fined up to 10000thb.

New law, maybe enacted in June this year: No more red license plate. Not allowed to drive the car unless it's properly registered.

42 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Absolutely true.  I've done it in one day.  Not difficult.

So if it can be streamlined to be much faster, why wasn't this done 30 years ago?

I bought a new Honda Civic nearly 20 years ago from a big high profile dealer.

One of their selling points was pay this morning, car delivered to you late this afternoon with white plates. 

Meaning that it's been possible for decades, but nothing happened to make it universal. 

Why? Obvious simple answer, too many sticky fingers who ensured the system didn't improve  /

go forward.

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Why? Obvious simple answer, too many sticky fingers who ensured the system didn't improve  /

go forward.

Doesn't need sticky fingers. Thai people like to show everybody "i have a new car" by having the red license plates, and the dealers like to keep the tax money in their own pocket as long as possible. So both parties were happy with prolonging the process of getting white plates and thus nothing changed.

14 hours ago, alien365 said:

I personally like the red plates and think it would be a shame to not see them on the road anymore. I know part of it is showing off that you have a new car, but if it's your new pride and joy, why not. 

The red plates are NOT being banned or done away with.

14 hours ago, alien365 said:

Like some other posters on here have mentioned though, I got nervous driving at night and in different provinces with the red plates on.

You shouldn't be driving between 18:00 and 06:00 with red plates on; the current minimally enforced law says you can't. Since this revenue squeeze will ultimately result in diminished revenue streams for the roadside shakedown cops, pretty much a given that where in the past (and currently) they would arbitrarily enforce the 'no red plate at night' law, come June, after this directive is fully in place, they will be a bit less forgiving.

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or, make it very simple, specifically the responsibility of the seller to have new white plates fitted before it can leave the showroom.

Ifs seen with no plates the buyer gets fined xxBaht and the seller gets fined double that amount.  

Unless every dealership has metal license plate stamping machinery, how are they going to do that?

10 hours ago, YouYouYou said:

No not got it ....OP para 3red plates  gone, history, adios. Para 5 same as 30 day maybe a stiffer fine. Oh fine reporting leaving interpretation. Next no got it get it? Nice one Nation

I'll help you here. Para 3...

... He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven. ...

"The vehicles must have been registered to have license plates" and NOT "the vehicles must have been registered to have license plates and the new plates fitted... before they can be driven.

The paperwork for the registration will be completed at point of sale on day of sale via online systems. The plates, like the check, will be in the post.

And para 5...

... Pending the new law's enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said. ...

Note "any vehicle that continues to carry the red plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine" and NOT anything about no more red plates at all, ever. How can someone be fined for having something beyond 30-days if they weren't issued in the first place?

Gettit now?

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The red plates are NOT being banned or done away with.

If the new law comes into force, then THEY ARE BEING BANNED on new vehicles from June.  They will become 'trade plates' for use by dealers similar to other countries.

Regarding white licence plates,  I registered at Prachuab in the afternoon.  The new plates arrived from BKK the following morning.

2 hours ago, peperobi said:

Sorry, I buy few new cars in Thailand and always I got the information from the garage that I must wait 30 to 45 days till the plate coming....

And the enforcement of the existing law in conjunction with new, faster, online registration procedures will see that come to an end. Even in Nakhon Nowhere.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Some readers are not reading properly.  The 30 day rule is only being enacted PENDING the new law being brought into force.  If the new law is passed, then red plates will be illegal on a new car.

Wrong (again). They will be illegal on a new car only AFTER 30-days since day of purchase and registration.

The key to the whole issue is in the last sentence that some here seem to have missed...

...He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day.

8 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Just got off the phone with the finance company to replace my existing license plate that was stolen yesterday.

45 - 60 days.

So much for next day availability....

Irrelevant. Your plate was stolen yesterday and the existing arcane, glacial, corrupt system prevails. This thread is about something that's due to kick-off in June.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, webfact said:

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, webfact said:

Pending the new law's enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said.

51 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Somehow a lot of people in this thread understood it wrong

Current law: Red license plate for a maximum of 30 days. After 30 days you can be fined up to 10000thb.

New law, maybe enacted in June this year: No more red license plate. Not allowed to drive the car unless it's properly registered.

You buys them books and you sends them to school and you teaches them to read....

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You buys them books and you sends them to school and you teaches them to read....

As HHTel told you already, get a dictionary and look up "pending", currently you don't understand it.

Currently using red plates after 30 days is illegal already, and it will be like this until this new law is enacted, after which they will not be available for the buyers anymore at all.

17 minutes ago, HHTel said:

If the new law comes into force, then THEY ARE BEING BANNED on new vehicles from June.  They will become 'trade plates' for use by dealers similar to other countries.

Regarding white licence plates,  I registered at Prachuab in the afternoon.  The new plates arrived from BKK the following morning.

You can see the difference between the following statements

"red plates are being banned" and

"red plates on new vehicles are being banned"

Yes, they will become like 'trade plates' in the UK and Australia(?) and 'dealer plates' in the US.

In the meantime, your fresh experience in PKK indicates that the system is already in place if one chooses the DIY approach. It's the end of the dealerships (and regulation of the night cops) gravy train. That's all.

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.

Pending the new law's enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said.

Yes, that's right. The current law prevails UNTIL the new law enactment.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

As HHTel told you already, get a dictionary and look up "pending", currently you don't understand it.

Currently using red plates after 30 days is illegal already, and it will be like this until this new law is enacted, after which they will not be available for the buyers anymore at all.

Yes, illegal already but not strictly enforced. Until June, it will be strictly enforced.

After June the new same-day rego will be in place nationally and enforcement will be exactly the same.

There is absolutely nothing in the OP and the original article that says that red plates are being completely done away with. It's an inference that some readers are taking from a poorly constructed and worded new article... so what's new?

The penalty for driving a vehicle outside of daylight with red plates is a spot fine, typically with the amount pulled out of the cops butt at the time.

The penalty for driving a vehicle with red plates has been, is and always will be Bt 10,000

The penalty for driving a new car, day or night, without ANY plates (which would happen if red plates were removed from the system) is Bt 10,000 and VEHICLE SEIZURE.

Yes there's thousands of old and new cars all over this blighted Realm that have no plates and nobody bats an eyelid except the occasional hungry cop.

On the other hand...

Either way, get back to me in June.

Seeing, how many cars and motorbikes are driving around the city, not with a red license plate, but with NO license plate ... nothing will change.

Somchai BiB cannot be bothered to look up from his smartphone and check the documents to validate the 30 days with a success rate of <30% to make money.

Far easier to make money with a 100% success rate by stopping farang tourists on a motorbike without helmet.

1 hour ago, Monomial said:

Just got off the phone with the finance company to replace my existing license plate that was stolen yesterday.

45 - 60 days.

So much for next day availability....

But if you had the blue book it should be same day issue at LTO

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Nanaew,  I give up.  I realise you are not an native English speaker, but at least try to understand.  Temporary plates (red) will be BANNED on new cars from June providing the new law is passed.

I thought he was pretty clear and accurate ... who is the one struggling to understand ...

Archived