New vehicles with temporary license plates to be banned

webfact

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

But please, PLEASE do NOT hold your breath.

I know.

It's just I sometimes feel that even if you are the one paying the money the dealers don't appear to have customer service anywhere in their vocabulary.

It's the standard you give me your money and I'll decide when I'll supply the service.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

No sweat JAS. I've been married for a cumulative +16 years so pretty used to being told I am wrong when I am otherwise.

The article is written in pretty good English and doesn't leave any doubts as to the meaning.

You refute what is written and assume that the writer is being misunderstood and didn't actually mean what was printed!

Why don't you contact the author and offer to rewrite the article to reflect what you assume he means.

In the meantime, unless the article is retracted, I will believe it at face value.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

No sweat JAS. I've been married for a cumulative +16 years so pretty used to being told I am wrong when I am otherwise.

Year 2002 for me ... so about the same for both ....... been her since 2007 and Ms Google is more knowledgable every year ....FML ...when we lived in th UK it wasn't much different!!

PS I did note the cumulative ☺

On 15.1.2018 at 11:10 AM, Chang_paarp said:

So Thailand joins the 20th century with vehicle registrations. 

20th century??? I think in the most EU countries you can register your car withhin a hour. It only need longer if a lot of people come at the same time. And this now for 25-35 years. 

So it will fit more to speak: "Thailand joins the 80's now!!!"

9 hours ago, HHTel said:

The article is written in pretty good English and doesn't leave any doubts as to the meaning.

You refute what is written and assume that the writer is being misunderstood and didn't actually mean what was printed!

Why don't you contact the author and offer to rewrite the article to reflect what you assume he means.

In the meantime, unless the article is retracted, I will believe it at face value.

I cannot possibly refute what was written. I understand it correctly whereas you and a few other totally misread it. So what's to refute?

The misinterpretation is ENTIRELY something that you and a few others are responsible for, not me.

I have absolutely no issues with what you believe in either, so...

This is for cars/pick-up's, what about motorbikes, I have had a  few motorbikes over years, all have taken at least 2 months to get the registration plates,one bike 3 months plus .

One bike I bought second hand ,to get registration swooped over , at our local  vehicle regastration center 1 day.

As had been said when will Thailand arrive in the 21st century.  

The misinterpretation is ENTIRELY something that you and a few others are responsible for, not me.

The misinterpretation is probably that of the dude who translated from Thai to English. Common sense says dealers cannot issue white license plates on the spot, complete with all the bureaucratic paperwork that accompanies those plates, i.e., registration certificate and related windshield sticker. And dealers are not going to stockpile sold inventory, even if they had the room, awaiting the arrival of plates.

As already pointed out, even in the first world (using the US as an example, i.e., before Trump), it takes a couple of weeks to get your permanent plates and registration documentation. But yet you drive away with cardboard plates, with the 30 day expiration date clearly stated.

So, unless Thailand is ginning up for cardboard plates, the red ones will remain -- with a 30 day expiration sticker for it on the windshield ( or maybe not -- that would make too much sense). But, the plates ain't going anywhere, if logic dictates (?).

41 minutes ago, JimGant said:

So, unless Thailand is ginning up for cardboard plates, the red ones will remain -- with a 30 day expiration sticker for it on the windshield ( or maybe not -- that would make too much sense). But, the plates ain't going anywhere, if logic dictates (?).

It clearly states that registration plus plates takes one day.  I can vouch for that.  Register a car in the afternoon and the plates arrive from BKK the following morning.  It also clearly states that if the new law is passed, then red plates are banned on new vehicles and can't be driven until registered.  Pretty much the same as in the UK.

The lady who issued  permanent plates in Issan where I lived said it required a minimum of 41 days to issue the plate.

Plate lady  also said she required a valid residency certificate.    The immigration boss lady   told me she would never issue said certificate for a validity period  longer than 30 days @ 500 THB.

She had a lock of 1000 THB on each vehicle plate.    Did she split that with the plate lady.    Who knows?

Gotta love it..

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

As already pointed out, even in the first world (using the US as an example, i.e., before Trump), it takes a couple of weeks to get your permanent plates and registration documentation.

You should not take another shithole country as an example :P

In Germany the whole process takes maybe 15 minutes. There you go to the "car registration office", hand over the papers from your car and your id card and choose a license plate number, after which they print another document for you. Then you go out to a shop to get your license plate printed. Then go in the "car registration office" again and they put the required "stickers" on your license plate and you are done. (If there are queues and you have to wait, it does of course take a bit more time)

I can vouch for that.  Register a car in the afternoon and the plates arrive from BKK the following morning.  It also clearly states that if the new law is passed, then red plates are banned on new vehicles and can't be driven until registered.  Pretty much the same as in the UK.

Wow. Buy the car in the afternoon, and return the next day for your permanent plates and blue registration book, and windshield sticker? [But, I'd still like to drive that car home that afternoon.] If that's how it is now done in GB, why don't such efficiencies translate to other areas of your bureaucracy? I guess we could do that in the States ('tho the hussle and special delivery requirements for timeliness would be highly inefficient) -- but why would you unnecessarily want to push a string?

No, I think further discussion on this will have wiser heads prevail:

Sanit Promwong, director general of the Land Transport Department, said a draft law to implement the ban was being reviewed by the Office of the Council of State and would be debated at public hearings as required by Article 77 of the new Constitution.

Should be a fun debate, especially if car dealers are allowed to attend.

There you go to the "car registration office", hand over the papers from your car and your id card and choose a license plate number, after which they print another document for you. Then you go out to a shop to get your license plate printed. Then go in the "car registration office" again and they put the required "stickers" on your license plate and you are done.

So, where's your new car parked during all of this? Or, if bare of plates, what, if anything, is acting as a substitute? At least in the US you can drive away with your cardboard plates, and await the dealership to call you to come back in for the permanent plates and registration. No queues, of course, involved.

Just now, JimGant said:

So, where's your new car parked during all of this? Or, if bare of plates, what, if anything, is acting as a substitute? At least in the US you can drive away with your cardboard plates, and await the dealership to call you to come back in for the permanent plates and registration. No queues, of course, involved.

It depends a bit on in what type of situation you are:

- If you buy a new car, usually you sign the contract, and give your id card to the shop. When the car arrives (because your desired configuration will be nearly never exactly like this in the showroom) at the dealership they make the registration for you. When it's ready you go to the dealer to pick up your car, ready with license plates.

- If you buy a used car, the car usually has the license plates from the previous owner, you can drive with them and do the stuff described before by yourself.

- If you either buy a used car that doesn't have license plates, or would buy a new car that's ready in the show room and would pay cash on the spot and insist that you take the care with you right now... well, in this case you have to take another vehicle to do the registration, then go back to the dealer and take your new car with you ;)

If you either buy a used car that doesn't have license plates, or would buy a new car that's ready in the show room and would pay cash on the spot and insist that you take the care with you right now... well, in this case you have to take another vehicle to do the registration, then go back to the dealer and take your new car with you ;)

Doesn't sound like the Teutonic efficiency I studied growing up.... If this occurred a few decades ago, and the car purchaser in question was making ME109's -- and had to take the afternoon off to do the registration instead of the dealer -- Germany just might have lost the war.....

14 hours ago, JimGant said:

The misinterpretation is probably that of the dude who translated from Thai to English. Common sense says dealers cannot issue white license plates on the spot, complete with all the bureaucratic paperwork that accompanies those plates, i.e., registration certificate and related windshield sticker. And dealers are not going to stockpile sold inventory, even if they had the room, awaiting the arrival of plates.

As already pointed out, even in the first world (using the US as an example, i.e., before Trump), it takes a couple of weeks to get your permanent plates and registration documentation. But yet you drive away with cardboard plates, with the 30 day expiration date clearly stated.

USA is hardly famous for streamlined bureaucracy, is it?

In UK you drive out with your car plates....been doing it for years...decades even....in Tailand it now appears the process is which enough to cope with this and so there is no need for the red plates.

I just think the word "banned" is inappropriate for this article.

Sounds like "obsolete" or "unnecessary" might have been more appropriate.

I think also that the purpose and status of the red plates was misunderstood. They are in fact the same as UK trade plates and were not intended for widespread use on new vehicles. They carry a huge number of restrictions but in typical Thai fashion the law has been "bent" to accommodate the concomitant bureaucracy.

Archived