Phuket ‘ghost yacht’ washes ashore Sumatra, captain safe

snoop1130

Phuket ‘ghost yacht’ washes ashore Sumatra, captain safe

The Phuket News

1516099897_1-org.jpg

The skipper was forced to abandon the yacht 'Elysion' while en route from Phuket to Langkawi. Images: TMBA / Facebook

PHUKET:-- The captain sailing a yacht from Phuket to Langkawi, Malaysia, that washed ashore unmanned in Sabang, Indonesia, has been safely rescued by a passing cargo vessel off Sumatra.

Paul Van Isacker reported reported himself to be alive and well to the Phuket-based Thai Marine Business Association (TMBA) earlier today (Jan 16) after the group yesterday shared on its Facebook page (click here) images of the yacht Elysion washed ashore on Pulau Weh, a small island just offshore from Banda Aceh.

“Anyone missing a yacht?” said the original Facebook post, which noted that a small Thai flag was tied to the yacht’s the mast.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ghost-yacht-washes-ashore-sumatra-captain-safe-65575.php#oVLVmLuu2jD2gvT5.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-1-16

28 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

Looks like a vegabond 47ft ketch.. nice yacht extremely seaworthy if he dropped anchor he wouldn't be on the rocks.

Exactly - looks a sound boat. I had a 36 foot ketch and single handed sailed in Med coastal waters. I had my share of mishaps and breakdowns. Always got my boat to a safe anchorage and effected repairs.  Worst case was having to slide past a navigation buoy in a narrow channel with rocks on each side (under sail as engine problem) and lash on quickly to the buoy. Radioed for a tow boat. Thought I had lost the boat that time.

21 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Exactly - looks a sound boat. I had a 36 foot ketch and single handed sailed in Med coastal waters. I had my share of mishaps and breakdowns. Always got my boat to a safe anchorage and effected repairs.  Worst case was having to slide past a navigation buoy in a narrow channel with rocks on each side (under sail as engine problem) and lash on quickly to the buoy. Radioed for a tow boat. Thought I had lost the boat that time.

Im guessing he panicked.. and that made the situation worse.

What kind of boat did you have?

I had a Van De Stadt 39ft steel hull. Not fast but i never worried about anything, single handed sailing most of the time it gave me peace of mind

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

Im guessing he panicked.. and that made the situation worse.

What kind of boat did you have?

I had a Van De Stadt 39ft steel hull. Not fast but i never worried about anything, single handed sailing most of the time it gave me peace of mind

Westerly Conway  ... a very fine boat.  Fiber glass hull. 

5 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I sold her 21 years ago after I decided to live here in Phuket. I lived aboard for the previous 8 years. 

Some say its the best day of youe life when you sell a boat,. For me it was far from the best day i miss the boat