Reporting Whereabouts to Immigration

We mainly live in the US but have bought a second home in Thailand and have been coming for about 3 months per year. I have been using 30 day entries plus extensions and a air travel trip abroad, or a 60 day tourist visa and extension.

Neighbors tell me I need to report my address to nearby Jomtiem Immgration, but I never have. I've asked when this requirement kicks in and no one seems to know. 

Obviously real non visa first time visiting tourists don't need to do this, presumably reporting an address on the form given to them on the airplane covers it for them. What is the trigger requiring one to check in at immigration?

I apologise that this must have been answered on other threads, but I can't find it after a quick glance.

Edited by ftpjtm

It's always been a requirement to report an alien arriving at a residence by the 'house master', but it was never enforced by many Immigration offices (some still don't). However in the last 2 years many IO's are enforcing this requirement, Jomtien being one of them.

If you stay in a hotel or guesthouse they are responsible to make the report.

If you stay in a private residence, the 'house master' should report your arrival.

If you are staying short term and do not need to visit a local IO, then many do not bother with this requirement.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 4: “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Immigration Act BE 2522.pdf

The form is known as a TM30.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Homeowner must report foreigner residing (yourself if you own home) within 24 hours of arrival just as any hotel must do.  

My wife is the home owner. So it's her responsibility to report my presence there?

What is the name of the report? 

I assume it's only done for visiting foreigners, not for Thai friends/family visiting?

In the 4 years we've owned the house we've never done this. Any implications for non conformance?

Edited by ftpjtm

2 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

My wife is the home owner. So it's her responsibility to report my presence there?

What is the name of the report? 

I assume it's only done for visiting foreigners, not for Thai friends/family visiting?

In the 4 years we've owned the house we've never done this. Any implications in non conformance?

Not necessarily. 

TM30

Correct.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not
exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht
to 10,000 Baht.

And they'll probably refuse any extension until such time as you have complied.

I have filed at least 2 extensions on different occasions at Jomtiem Immigration and am not aware of having filled out a TM30 form, unless I unwittingly did it thinking it was part of the process to file the extension.

Any chance of being fined for past violations?

I'm currently out of Thailand and plan to return for an additional 60 days under a 60 day visa, so I'll have no reason to do business at the IO. Is it worth my while to file a TM30 under these circumstances?

Edited by ftpjtm

1 minute ago, ftpjtm said:

I have filed at least 2 extensions and am not aware of having filled out a TM30 form, unless I unwittingly did it thinking it was part of the process to file the extension.

Any chance of being fined for past violations?

I'm currently out of Thailand and plan to return for an additional 60 days under a 60 day visa, so I'll have no reason to do business at the IO. Is it worth my while to file a TM30 under these circumstances?

Jomtien have only recently enforced the law.

No.

By the letter of the law you should, but if you have no need to visit your IO, then don't bother, they won't come looking for you.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

If you have no plan to visit Jomtien immigration for other reasons, I suggest you ignore the TM30 notification requirement. On subsequent visits, it is extremely unlikely that any check for earlier non compliance would be done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You should at least explain the law to your wife - she will share the heat if found in violation.

You've got one guess who'll end up paying any fine.  :wink:

Edited by Tanoshi

Thanks for all the informative replies.

We will have some friends who live in the Philippines visit in March for about 1week. They'll likely spend a day or two at our house, followed by a night at a hotel, and repeat. So Technically they are supposed to report to Jomtiem Immgration twice in one week? Seriously?!?

What is the procedure to file a TM30? Presumably hotels do it on line, can civilians do that too?

31 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

We will have some friends who live in the Philippines visit in March for about 1week. They'll likely spend a day or two at our house, followed by a night at a hotel, and repeat. So Technically they are supposed to report to Jomtiem Immgration twice in one week? Seriously?!?

Don't worry about doing the report for them since they apparently will be not doing anything at immigration.

31 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

What is the procedure to file a TM30? Presumably hotels do it on line, can civilians do that too?

At Jomtien you get a queue ticket and then wait in line to submit the from. A copy of your wife's house book and ID card will need to be attached to it. 

Only registered businesses can do it online.

• Thanks 1

This particular one always confuses me. I have lived here 17 years and come and go many times during that time. I have never reported to Soi 5 upon my return. I start the clock ticking for my 90 day report from whe the day I arrive back in Thailand. When I report to Soi 5 they have never asked me why I did not report my return within 24 hrs....I own my own condo?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

This particular one always confuses me. I have lived here 17 years and come and go many times during that time. I have never reported to Soi 5 upon my return. I start the clock ticking for my 90 day report from whe the day I arrive back in Thailand. When I report to Soi 5 they have never asked me why I did not report my return within 24 hrs....I own my own condo?

They are 2 separate legal requirements dealt with by different desks. The '90 days reporting' is done on form TM47 and the 'informing within 24 hours' is done on form TM30.

There could be a variety of reasons you have not been asked about or fined for not doing a TM30.

1. Jomtien, according to numerous reports, is one of the least interested in this TM30 pointless paperchase. Contrast them with Chiang Mai or Sri Racha.

2. The desks are not talking to each other and don't worry about each other's job.

3.  Luck.

4. You have not upset anybody there. The TM30 fine could always be pulled out like an ace up the sleeve.

41 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

The desks are not talking to each other and don't worry about each other's job.

At Jomtien, this only applies to some desks.  The family desk most certainly checks TM-30s.  Reports so-far indicate retirement does not (or not always) - and perhaps reports in this thread indicate that 90-day reporting is not (or not always). 

As per above, this only applies to Jomtien, and those reporting at other offices should not count on this.  Also, the policy at those desks at Jomtien could change at any time - without warning - as it has elsewhere, and to some (some types of extensions/services) whom I have seen being fined there.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Jomtien, according to numerous reports, is one of the least interested in this TM30 pointless paperchase.

My impression from reports on here, though, is that they are one of the most zealously enthusiatic! I suspect that dotprom has proved extremely fortunate in successfuly keeping under the Jomtien radar in this respect - to date, at any rate!

Edited by OJAS

43 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Reports so-far indicate retirement does not (or not always) - and perhaps reports in this thread indicate that 90-day reporting is not (or not always). 

Yes. Have been doing extensions based on retirement, the 11th done three weeks or so ago, at Jomtien. Have never been questioned about TM.30. 

I recall about 5 or 6 years ago our building manager notified everyone staying here that Jomtien wanted them to collect information about all foreigners residing in the building ... just passport and current permission to stay photocopies ... with the comment that we would be unable to do any further extensions if the information wasn't submitted. There wasn't any distinction made between owners or renters. That seems to have been the first and last time they showed any interest in that sort of thing, at least as far as it affected me.

They used to want some proof of address when doing the 90 day report, but for a few years you just hand over the passport with the last report, nothing more.

27 minutes ago, OJAS said:

My impression from reports on here, though, is that they are one of the most zealously enthusiatic! I suspect that dotprom has proved extremely fortunate in successfuly keeping under the Jomtien radar in this respect - to date, at any rate!

I have never been asked about the report and in other threads that seems to be a fairly common experience at least amongst those doing annual extensions. 

Agree that some others have had the opposite experience.

Edited by Suradit69

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's always been a requirement to report an alien arriving at a residence by the 'house master', but it was never enforced by many Immigration offices (some still don't). However in the last 2 years many IO's are enforcing this requirement, Jomtien being one of them.

If you stay in a hotel or guesthouse they are responsible to make the report.

If you stay in a private residence, the 'house master' should report your arrival.

If you are staying short term and do not need to visit a local IO, then many do not bother with this requirement.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager
where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 4: “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Immigration Act BE 2522.pdf

The form is known as a TM30.

Or it's a Bt1,600  fine at Jomtien and a lecture for the wife.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Don't worry about doing the report for them since they apparently will be not doing anything at immigration.

At Jomtien you get a queue ticket and then wait in line to submit the from. A copy of your wife's house book and ID card will need to be attached to it. 

Is there a fee to submit the TM30?

5 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Is there a fee to submit the TM30?

I believe he stated "Believe normal fine is 1,600 baht for failure to register using TM30 form."   

There is no fee to report a TM30.

And good for you you bought  the wife a house as that's a common dream of  Thai ladies.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

This subject has been covered extensively and continuously  for the last three and a half months but nobody has come up with a definitive answer. It depends on your visa, your Immigration Offices and the individual Immigration Officer. THERE IS NO RATIONAL ACROSS THE BOARD ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION.

• Like 1