Bangkok Bank - No more Visa debit cards - official.

Been many a topic about Bangkok banks policy to change to the Union Pay debit card.

Suits the Chinese, but that's about it.

The 'Visa' debit card had still been available though by order from the Head office.

Today my branch informs me 'no longer' have.

I contacted Head office who confirmed their stock of the 'Visa' debit cards have now expired and won't be replaced.

They've taken down the 'Visa' debit card information from their website now as well.

I spoke to a manager who suggested I find another bank issuing 'Visa' debit cards, or applied for a Bangkok Bank 'Visa' credit card.

So it's official, no further 'Visa' debit cards from Bangkok bank.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still work so I will be real careful not to lose mine.

When it gets to November of 2019 when the magnetic stripe on it stops working in ATM's I might just get another card to use.

I hope the voices of their existing customers are listened to and they bring back the visa card.

I just got back from a trip to the UK with their Union Pay card. Might as well have left it at home as absolutely nowhere would accept it, despite assurances to me from the bank before I left. Luckily I was carrying enough cash for my trip. Only place I found somewhere it worked was an ATM at Heathrow Airport as I was flying home. I am changing banks, as this thing is totally worthless outside Asia. Dumbest move ever by Thailands supposedly top bank.

Oh, and the Helpline in the UK was a number in France. Real helpful that!

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I hope the voices of their existing customers are listened to and they bring back the visa card.

Voices won't be heard, neither was my complaint.

China is obviously the way forward as far as their concerned.

I'll complain with my feet when my current Visa debit card needs replacing for one reason or another.

I live in China and have an account with the China Merchant Bank which like all china banks offers Union Pay and I have accessed many ATM's world wide and drawn money  on my CMB card including Thailand and uk. I use it as a debit card here, HK and Homepro in Thailand.

Possibly it's not the UP that's the issue but BKK Bank

As preparation i opened today an account with UOB Bank in Patong. No need for work permit but 550b for UOB visa debit card and 50.000b for first deposit which can be withdrawn any time.

Can use internet banking and UOB TH mighty app.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bangkok bank has never been anything but a disappointment, both for my private and business banking. Unhelpful, branch manager totally uninformed about almost everything, hopeless in communications, spent hours trying to reach the call center to no avail, unfriendly internet banking system, stuck in the past. I have a Bangkok Bank VISA card, but have just reactivated my K Bank VISA card, and will be getting an SME VISA card soon, and haven't used my Bangkok Bank account in 6 months or so. Tried to force me to apply for a Union card. Never !

14 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Bangkok bank has never been anything but a disappointment, both for my private and business banking. Unhelpful, branch manager totally uninformed about almost everything, hopeless in communications, spent hours trying to reach the call center to no avail, unfriendly internet banking system, stuck in the past. I have a Bangkok Bank VISA card, but have just reactivated my K Bank VISA card, and will be getting an SME VISA card soon, and haven't used my Bangkok Bank account in 6 months or so. Tried to force me to apply for a Union card. Never !

sorry,  have to disagree ....  not all BBK branches are like that, I opened my account at Emporium branch some 20 years ago and the staff their cannot be helpful enough. The foreign currency section staff are always jovial and helpful and know everything on Transfers and wiring money.  I have never had a bad staff member.

Treat them with respect & you get the same ...   :shock1:

sorry,  have to disagree ....  not all BBK branches are like that, I opened my account at Emporium branch some 20 years ago and the staff their cannot be helpful enough. The foreign currency section staff are always jovial and helpful and know everything on Transfers and wiring money.  I have never had a bad staff member.

Yes, the staff at the Emporium branch are great. I've banked there for 13 years and have a Visa debit card.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Then again, this TV poster in Haui Kwang (Bangkok I think) got his Visa debit card issued today....and said the branch still have plenty to issue.

Very fortunate then.

Many branches have run out and the 'Visa' debit card isn't being re-order or distributed to branches anymore.

That information came from their Head office in Bang Rak, Bangkok.

40 minutes ago, 2BOB said:

Dont know about not isusng  new Debit cards Got a new card yesterday at Bangkok Bank Pantip plazz . been banking there for 11 years helpfull and speak great English .

Was it a 'Visa' or 'Union Pay' debit card?

45 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Very fortunate then.

Many branches have run out and the 'Visa' debit card isn't being re-order or distributed to branches anymore.

That information came from their Head office in Bang Rak, Bangkok.

I've seen quite a few posts since late 2016 (over a year now) where the excuse given was the "info came from HQ Bangkok Bank" but we continue to see posts from folks who are persistent with their Bangkok Bank branch getting a Visa debit card. 

In fact in Dec 16 (sixteen...over a year ago) when TV posts were appearing frequently of no more Visa card that when the wife and I went to replace our Bangkok Bank Visa debit cards (since they were the old magnetic style} at the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.   The posts on ThaiVisa during that late 2016 period was full of "no can get Visa debit card anymore", but the wife and I got our Visa chipped debit cards no problem.     

When going in the "first thing" I said to the branch rep when setting down at his desk was: "we want a Visa debit card; not a UnionPay debit card."   Approx 20 minutes later we walk out with our Visa debit card good for another 10 years.

And as the earlier post from wherma22 stated he just got is Visa debit card the other day in Bangkok without even needing to be persistent.   Seems to vary from branch to branch and person to person in how the story turns out in getting a Visa debit card. 

Now Bangkok Bank may indeed at some point just simply stop issuing Visa debit cards regardless of how persistent a person is.   Then again, it still may only take persistence and hopefully the branch is not hardcore about not issuing a Visa debit card. Expect we'll continue to see posts of success and no-success in getting a Visa debit card.

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

I've seen quite a few posts since late 2016 (over a year now) where the excuse given was the "info came from HQ Bangkok Bank" but we continue to see posts from folks who are persistent with their Bangkok Bank branch getting a Visa debit card. 

In fact in Dec 16 (sixteen...over a year ago) when TV posts were appearing frequently of no more Visa card that when the wife and I went to replace our Bangkok Bank Visa debit cards (since they were the old magnetic style} at the branch on the first floor of the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Rd in Bangkok.   The posts on ThaiVisa during that late 2016 period was full of "no can get Visa debit card anymore", but the wife and I got our Visa chipped debit cards no problem.     

When going in the "first thing" I said to the branch rep when setting down at his desk was: "we want a Visa debit card; not a UnionPay debit card."   Approx 20 minutes later we walk out with our Visa debit card good for another 10 years.

And as the earlier post from wherma22 stated he just got is Visa debit card the other day in Bangkok without even needing to be persistent.   Seems to vary from branch to branch and person to person in how the story turns out in getting a Visa debit card. 

Now Bangkok Bank may indeed at some point just simply stop issuing Visa debit cards regardless of how persistent a person is.   Then again, it still may only take persistence and hopefully the branch is not hardcore about not issuing a Visa debit card. Expect we'll continue to see posts of success and no-success in getting a Visa debit card.

Ring up Head office yourself to confirm.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I just got back from a trip to the UK with their Union Pay card. Might as well have left it at home as absolutely nowhere would accept it, despite assurances to me from the bank before I left. Luckily I was carrying enough cash for my trip. Only place I found somewhere it worked was an ATM at Heathrow Airport as I was flying home. I am changing banks, as this thing is totally worthless outside Asia. Dumbest move ever by Thailands supposedly top bank.

I find the UnionPay absolutely worthless. Since I already have money being sent to Bankok Bank via stateside transfer through Bangkok Bank New York. What I did was open an account at KTB bank. They issue Visa Debit cards. When I am traveling I transfer funds from Bangkok Bank to KTB Bank. All online. It cost me just .35฿. Yes, it is kind of a hassle but the alternative is a lot more complicated.  I didn't want to stop the easy transfer from the states to BKK Bank. Works for me might work for someone else too.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They're outsourcing to France? Has India lost its charm, or has BBL lost its way?

I have a Visa card via Kasikorn. It's a bit staggering to think Bangkok Bank would voluntarily piss off long-standing customers by denying them a card accepted world-wide. Outside China and Thailand, who the hell has heard of UnionPay?

Simplest thing would be to change to a bank offering a Visa debit card. If enough people do that, the management at BB may get the message.

I like Bangkok Bank for many reasons and often defend them. But in this case I agree it is a big mistake to not offer the visa debit card and I have trouble understanding good reasons for the change in policy. Maybe someone can explain the banks reasons for this major change. 

5 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Bangkok bank has never been anything but a disappointment

confirmed, goes for me as well. The only reason I am still with them is a rented valuables box in my home branch - difficult these days to get a vacant box with any one bank

Twice now I've done my weekly shopping at TOPS, Chiang Mai, and attempted to pay with my new Union card.   Both times the checkout lady tells me that the system will not accept Union card.   

So it's off to a nearby ATM, withdraw cash and pay the old way.

They still work so I will be real careful not to lose mine.
When it gets to November of 2019 when the magnetic stripe on it stops working in ATM's I might just get another card to use.

Dont forget your PIN either. They refused to let me reset the PIN on my old Bua Luang card and insisted I get a new card.

Sent on the move with my mobile phone. Please excuse the brevity.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Can only agree. Been banking with them for 12 years. Manager at our old branch went out of her way to get me and mrs E credit cards. She met us in Dairy Queen. Had to buy her an ice cream though :clap2:

9 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Can only agree. Been banking with them for 12 years. Manager at our old branch went out of her way to get me and mrs E credit cards. She met us in Dairy Queen. Had to buy her an ice cream though :clap2:

hmmmmm .....  she owes you 49 baht :shock1:

I would expect that Bangkok Bank is getting a bargain money wise by using Union Bank cards as opposed to Visa.  However, I think it is extremely unwise as Visa is a long standing and reliable  banking network recognized Worldwide.  I have never heard of the China Union Bank until reading about it on TV and obviously some of the members have had problems using the China card. Bangkok Bank is run by Thai Chinese oligarchs and it's always about profit not necessarily ease of use or service.

As far as the Chinese currency becoming The World Currency- never going to happen as long as the communist Party runs China and they will never give up power until forced out and that's not likely to happen in any of our lifetimes.

Archived