Bangkok Bank - No more Visa debit cards - official.

4 hours ago, bravo19 said:

I just visited internet side of bangkok bank, they don’t offer any Be1st visa debit card anymore, only unionpay cards

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You can still Ask them for a visa credit card instead... 

Yeap....that's what other TV posters have done over the last year or so.  Pressed the branch for a Visa card and then the branch said OK, but it will take around 7 days to get it.  It's like the branch has to order it versus keeping stock on-hand.  But needing to wait 7 day is enough to turn-off many people who simply can't or don't want to wait around 7 days...or don't want to/can't come back to the branch to pick-up the card. 

So, if a person is able and willing to wait 7 days and got back to pickup the card it's an approach a persistent person should try.   All the branch can do is continue to say no.

The real reason Bangkok Bank is pushing their UnionPay debit card, which is really a "dual logo" card of Thai Payment Network (TPN) and UnionPay,  is because they hoped it would increase fee profit from debit card Point of Service (POS) transactions...aka, purchase transactions by not having to share profit with the Visa network.   Plus, they hoped to have other Thai banks sign up to use the TPN, which would handle "in-Thailand" debit card transactions which would allow Bangkok Bank to profit on those transactions also. 

Also, the TPN is jointly owned by Bangkok Bank and UnionPay...50-50 ownership.  

But the way it seems to be working out is retailers such as Lotus, Big C, and many other merchants simply do not want to utilize the TPN/UnionPay network.   And other banks are not signing on for use of TPN either as Bangkok Bank had hoped.  

2016 media release 

Thai Payment Network Co (TPN), a joint venture between Bangkok Bank (BBL) and China's UnionPay International (UPI), aims to issue 3-5 million debit cards in the first year of its operations.

The company plans to introduce a card payment system to link its bank members next month and roll out debit cards in May, TPN's chairman Shoke Na Ranong said without elaborating on which banks will be its members.

TPN, in which BBL and UPI initially owned a 50% stake each, was set up to be the first local debit card network service provider, creating a new system for electronic payments in Thailand. 

The move is in line with the government's national e-payment initiative to help Thailand become a cashless society. It also falls in line with the Bank of Thailand's policy, which states that all payments from domestically-issued debit cards should be processed locally.

To facilitate the TPN debit card expansion, the company will lower its merchant fees below 1% of card spending value, down from 1.5 to 1.8%, he said.

Currently most debit cards circulating in Thailand are issued by Visa.

The company will pay money back to its cardholders within 24 hours in the event they do not receive goods or services, said Mr Shoke, who is also BBL's executive vice-president.

TPN debit cards will also be available for small purchases, with a 20-baht minimum per transaction.

BBL's debit card holders can switch over to TPN free of charge, he said. "Debit card transactions account for only 2% of the total value of cash withdrawals from ATMs. Merchants have been discouraged from accepting debit cards due to the high transaction fees, while cardholders are not confident about using them and have concerns about the security of the magnetic stripe," he said.

"These problems will be addressed with the launch of TPN. Since the cost of making electronic payments will be lower, people will be able to use e-payments for very small purchases. There will also be a high level of security through the use of a 'chip and PIN' system with a six-digit PIN," said Mr Shoke.

Bangkok Bank president Chartsiri Sophonpanich said TPN's shareholding structure will be changed in the future, with BBL and UPI holding a 20% stake each. The other three largest commercial banks – Krungthai Bank, Siam Commercial Bank and Kasikornbank – will own 15% each, with other members accounting for the rest.

The three banks have already signed a memorandum of understanding expressing their interest in becoming TPN shareholders.

Mr Chartsiri said National ITMX Co, a local switching system service provider, would also take a stake in TPN.

Ge Huayong, chairman of China UnionPay, said the TPN card payment system could be upgraded to link payments with mobile phone handsets in the future.

UPI is a subsidiary of China UnionPay.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2018 at 5:09 PM, Tanoshi said:

I spoke to a manager who suggested I find another bank issuing 'Visa' debit cards, or applied for a Bangkok Bank 'Visa' credit card.

So, as a non-resident bank customer with Bangkok Bank, one should apply for  a Visa credit card now??

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 1/17/2018 at 5:51 PM, darksidedog said:

I just got back from a trip to the UK with their Union Pay card. Might as well have left it at home as absolutely nowhere would accept it, despite assurances to me from the bank before I left. Luckily I was carrying enough cash for my trip. Only place I found somewhere it worked was an ATM at Heathrow Airport as I was flying home. I am changing banks, as this thing is totally worthless outside Asia. Dumbest move ever by Thailands supposedly top bank.

Oh, and the Helpline in the UK was a number in France. Real helpful that!

Can confirm, even a Union Pay Card from a Chinese bank, despite other info, can neither be used in Thailand, nor in Myanmar. Don't understand what the fuzz about Union Pay is about... 

On the internet side of bangkok bank for their Be1st debit cards there is a note and when i understand this correctly does it mean that Be1st visa debit cards are still valid until 2019 after then only the new Be1st union pay debit cards can be used

On 22/01/2018 at 10:18 AM, Tanoshi said:

I'd suggest you ring Bangkok Bank customer services and ask to speak to a manager.

I and others have been told the same thing. Head office now have no stock of 'Visa' debit cards and will not be ordering further stocks.

Unless a branch still has a few left, you cannot even order a new 'Visa' card now.

Bangkok Bank have been in dispute with Visa over their charges for a long time. They want preferential treatment against other banks across the globe. It aint happening, and BKK won't back down for fear of loss of face.

They've now brokered a deal with Union Pay financial services and although there are available ATM's worldwide to draw cash, outside of China not many merchants or Services accept Union Pay cards.

On the topic of bkk bank visa cards, I just noticed something

Bought an item for $469.99 I was deducted  15,335 ($490.09

Cancel the order the next day and I get a (full)  refund for 14,640

Who pocketed the ~700thb/$20 difference? 

Was it bkk bank or visa or the merchants bank? 

5 hours ago, bravo19 said:

On the internet side of bangkok bank for their Be1st debit cards there is a note and when i understand this correctly does it mean that Be1st visa debit cards are still valid until 2019 after then only the new Be1st union pay debit cards can be used

That's also the way I'm reading it, so maybe time for a change of bank. Will probably do as another poster is doing & just transfer from that one (is it true that people are saying Kasikorn is the best)

Isn't Krungsi a Japanese bank - I may get better sense out of them as I was in BB (a main branch ) enquiring about my Debit limit & was told 150,000 p/d (from a head women as the other women at the desk seemed completely lost )

But i decided to play around on my Internet Banking (that's another story )& found out that it was only 50,000, so went to a different branch where it was comfirmed & swapped to 100,000

I was actually in that branch due to the fact that whilst trying to log in & checking I ended exceeding the limit. The stupid thing was the bank of all things had to ring customer service to no avail to try & get my Internet bank access back

THIS IS WHY I am wandering about Krungsi as being Japanese (i think ) may actually know & have a better system

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Still being promoted in Bangkok, today.20180202_120516.jpg20180202_120528.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have a white one like that 

I still think they can get them if you insist 

Anytime I get refused something I tell them OK, just close the account and give me the balance  now, in cash

Hasn't failed yet..... They don't want you moving your money to another bank, that's the worst outcome for them

Yesterday I was at the Bangkok bank (Second Road) and it was confirmed to me that no more visa cards would be issued. In the future there will only be Union Pay cards.

Thats what they told me in phuket too.

Went to UOB bank and opened an account there with VISA Debit Card, UOB APP, internet banking and fixed deposit ~ 2 weeks ago.

All this wirhout work permit.

Who needs bangkok bank and union pay card?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, zombie nights said:

So, can I assume no change with getting Bangkok Bank Visa credit cards, and renewal of them?

Nothing has changed with the BB Visa credit cards

4 hours ago, Thailand J said:

If I am using Bangkok Bank debit card in Thailand only, does it matter if it is VISA or Union Pay?

Not in regards to getting money from an ATM because every Thai ATM I've seen has the UnionPay/TPN logo.  However, when it comes to "purchasing" something that's were the UnionPay card falters as many Thai merchants still don't accept UnionPay.  But I expect over the next few years more and more will accept UnionPay. 

UnionPay, also known as China Union Pay or by its abbreviation, CUP, is a Chinese financial services corporation headquartered in Shanghai, China. It provides bank card services and a major card scheme in mainland China.

In Thailand, UnionPay cards can be accepted in a lot of markets and franchise stores frequently visited by the Chinese and used to withdraw cash in about 95% of ATMs. ... The 1%-2% currency conversion fee is exempted when using UnionPay card abroad for purchasing or withdrawing cash via the UnionPay network, which is good for the Chinese tourists, but of no advantage to foreigners with a Thai bank account. Not all merchants display the 'Union Pay' logo, so you don't know if you don't ask.

Paypal accepts Union Pay cards for accounts from China. You should be able to log in to your account PayPal account and add the card to your "wallet". Only accounts where your country is flagged as China will have this on option, so if you are trying to add Union Pay to US or European PayPal account, you won't have the option.

According to CUP, more than 50 airlines now support ticket booking with Union Pay,  including Dragon air, Cathay Pacific Airways, All Nippon Airways, Singapore Airlines, Jeju Air, Thai Airways International, Air France, Lufthansa and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.

Problem is the payment webpages for CUP payments are in Chinese.

If you have a Thai bank account and visit China then the CUP card is an advantage.

The 1%-2% currency conversion fee is exempted when using UnionPay card abroad for purchasing or withdrawing cash via the UnionPay network.

Give it a few more years and CUP may be as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard.

Edited by Tanoshi

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of any problems in withdrawing cash at ATMs using the Be1st Visa Debit card since the beginning of September??  The ATM message had stated that the cards would expire the last day of August.  But our forum has stated that the cards would be good until 2019.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, stoney79 said:

Has anyone heard of any problems in withdrawing cash at ATMs using the Be1st Visa Debit card since the beginning of September??  The ATM message had stated that the cards would expire the last day of August.  But our forum has stated that the cards would be good until 2019.  Thank you.

Used it today to withdraw money at BKB ATM, so clearly it does still work.

Every card has a different expiry date depending on when it was issued. If yours is fine until 2021, then it'll work until then. Mine is the same but unless BKK Bank makes changes to how they do business, chances are that I'll be using a different company as my main bank much sooner than that. Started to shift more towards Krungsri already. SCB also doesn't look so bad.

• Like 1

I suppose for the vast majority of customers that it doesn't;t make any difference unless they go abroad.....but how is Union Pay ever going to make progress if Visa blocks them out of everywhere? It's never good to have a oligopoly and between Visa and MC I suspect they control over 90% of the market and charge a fortune....they don't need to collude....when they own the market. They need to be broken up and get some competition in the market.

My daughters cancelling her Union pay card from Bangkok Bank,very few

places take it and she can buy nothing online with it, she's going to get

a Visa one from SCB, which also gives you discounts on purchases.

Mine expires in 2019,I will be cancelling it too,Aliexpress do not take

Union pay card, think Bangkok Bank has shot itself in the foot,just to

save a few bob.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I suppose for the vast majority of customers that it doesn't;t make any difference unless they go abroad

As mentioned Union Pay has terrible acceptance with online shops. It would be all good if BKK Bank gave customers the choice. But they are forcing it down their clients throats by removing a standard and widely accepted Visa card. That's not OK.

32 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

On the home page of bangkok bank is written that be1st visa debit cards can only be used by 2019. That means also visa debit cards with a later expiration date can not be used after 2019 anymore

Two different types of card.

Those that only have a magnetic strip and those that have a chip.

The Visa debit card with only a magnetic strip will not work in an ATM after 31st Dec 2018. They can however still be used for online purchases until their expiry date.

Visa debit cards with a chip will work in both an ATM and for online purchases until there expiry date.

Bangkok bank have changed the homepage recently that gave this information.

Read 

Two different types of card.

Those that only have a magnetic strip and those that have a chip.

The Visa debit card with only a magnetic strip will not work in an ATM after 31st Dec 2018. They can however still be used for online purchases until their expiry date.

Visa debit cards with a chip will work in both an ATM and for online purchases until there expiry date.

Bangkok bank have changed the homepage recently that gave this information.

Read 

[/url]  

I wished you are right but i just visited their homepage and I think i can’t agree with you, there is a note about be1st debit cards which can not be used after 2019 together with pictures of these cards and also be1st visa debit cards with EMV microchip are invalid after 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app