Airconditioner wars with the missus!

sikishrory

Anyone else have this problem? A partner that seems to have an opposite body temperature to you and an addiction to airconditioners.

ME: I like to use the aircon in bursts of like 30 mins just to bring the temp down in our condo when it gets too hot. I don't like having it on all day/night because it's expensive and I wake up feeling dry mouth, dry eyes like I drank a slab of Leo the night before or something. I hate the thing but am not adverse to using it. However much prefer fan over aircon as a first option.

HER: She would probably have it on 18 hours a day if she could. Even on nights that are normal temperature she wants it and will nag about it. If she doesn't get it then it is like the world is coming to end. Shes not happy until the place is so cold that she needs to be curled up in a ball under the doona. Before moving in with me she had no airconditioner and only a fan which she brought here when she moved in. Also shes not the one paying the bills of course.

This is not just some rant or vent. What I am getting at is a health thing. Probably 80% of the time her body temp is opposite to mine.

If I am feeling hot and want aircon she seems content to sit in a sweltering room. If I touch her skin it is normal temp.

If I feel cold and she has the aircon barreling down on us I feel her temperature and she is very hot. 

I had a few thai girlfriends before that were similar but this is next level.

I am wondering if she might have some health issue and maybe we should go to a doctor for some tests or something.

Or could it be that this is just normal for Thais? I was brought up in a very cold area and she has been brought up in the opposite climate. I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it.

Also when we go to Australia and it's like 10 degrees I can be sitting outside having a beer with my friends feeling a bit chilly but not uncomfortable but she needs to be wrapped in a doona to be able to sit with us... opposite again.

Anyone else notice this difference in temperatures or anything?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too.  Wife likes to hang sides of beef in the bedroom at night.  21c.  Then uses a  thick comforter blanket to stay warm.    When the weather's cooler, enjoy just using fans, sleep much better, no air con side effects like you mentioned. 

My problem is completely different, i like it colder than the GF. She often takes out a blanket when sitting in the livingsroom. I got the aircon at 28 degrees then.  At night switch it to 24, she thinks its cold (i can understand that). I cant work if the temperature goes higher than 28 degrees. 

Never had any problems with the aircon side effects thankfully. 

Dump all the wives and get one that says yes to your needs, seeing they did not have this problem b4 she joined you, all were happy in their old environment, mainly no air con and hot as hell.

Then they move in and life changers for them for the better then they start to complain. Put them in the spare room up to them then. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

My problem is completely different, i like it colder than the GF. She often takes out a blanket when sitting in the livingsroom. I got the aircon at 28 degrees then.  At night switch it to 24, she thinks its cold (i can understand that). I cant work if the temperature goes higher than 28 degrees. 

Never had any problems with the aircon side effects thankfully. 

26 degrees recommended.

My gf equates air con and fans to an oxygen supply.
I can't convince her that you need to have a window open to replenish the depleted oxygen in the room. I had to install an exhaust fan in the bedoom because she prefers windows closed. She wants to have fans on full bore all night too which dries my eyes out.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, xerostar said:

My gf equates air con and fans to an oxygen supply.
I can't convince her that you need to have a window open to replenish the depleted oxygen in the room. I had to install an exhaust fan in the bedoom because she prefers windows closed. She wants to have fans on full bore all night too which dries my eyes out.

Sent from my SM-N915F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why would you need to open windows... really you must live in a special house that is made completely air tight to have this problem.

You pay the room, you make the rules, quite easy :P

I usually have the aircon at about 25-28 degrees (if the temperature allows it i do of course prefer if the aircon is off), most girls who stayed with me were happy with this

But i've met some girls who wanted the aircon at 20 degrees, and some otheres who wanted it off completely, even if it was 30+ degrees... but my room, my rules ;)

Haven't turned on the a/c for the past 14 years! Fully acclimatised and much prefer an overhead fan and open windows (with mozzy netting of course).

Mrs Antonymous exactly the same as me, thankfully.

Feel sorry for you and your dilemma. Asking her the share the bills should work.

the more i read about problems with thai wives--the more it appeals to me to have a casual "rented" girl.

i can change her if i get bored or she doesnt like the rules...

aircond is NOT  healthy and IS  expensive--surely you guys need to have "some" control over your lives ????

5 hours ago, nikmar said:

Yep. Exactly the same....she s only happy when it's set on "glacial". 

The thing is....she complains about how cold the cinema or sky train is.

Temperatures in the cinemas at Blueport in Hua Hin are so low that customers hire blankets to keep warm. Its sometimes hard  to hear the movie soundtrack above the noise of teeth chattering.

Only in Thailand. . . 

Fan only.   I found in the past that if I used A/C, I would never get used to the hot tropical climate. Every time I went outside, the heat and humidity would hit me like a brick wall.

Experimenting, I found that doing without A/C, and using only a fan....I suffered and was soaked in sweat for about three weeks or a bit longer, and then my sweating slowed down to normal and I was fine. 

I could still feel that it was hot, but no longer suffering with it. It didnt really bother me too much anymore. 

There is a name for it.  Acclimatization.    Becoming acclimated to the climate. It takes between two weeks...to a month... to acclimate yourself to the tropical heat if you work at it and know how. And it's definitely worth it. 

I went from Canada in the middle of an icy, snowy winter, to hot tropical Thailand in less than 24 hours. Before leaving Canada, I had studied "Acclimatization".... about the body adjusting to new climates.  Before I went to hot tropical Thailand, I bought light, thin, roomy clothing that "breathes" and wicks moisture away so to speak... ditched the shoes and socks and got a good pair of walking sandals with arch support and heel strap, so my feet would be exposed to the air and be cooler and dryer than they would be if cooped up in socks and shoes. In the hot tropics, I always had a bottle of drinking water with me. I bought electrolyte replacement powder, but did not use a lot of it.... mixing just a bit into the water.
Wore a hat in the sun... IMPORTANT: I did NOT use airconditioning....I only used fans in my residence room. Because I found out if you spend hours in air-conditioning.... you confuse your body's systems and not be able to adapt.... and you will NEVER acclimatize and NEVER get used to the tropical heat and humidity.

For the first approximately three weeks and a bit more... I was suffering in the heat, very uncomfortable, sweating profusely, constantly drinking water with a bit of electrolyte powder in it... (I didn't use as much electrolyte powder as it calls for, I don't like taking in a lot of salt which is in it.) But after about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down.. .and I started to feel a lot better. I still felt the heat but now I didn't suffer in it. Now... I swear off of air-conditioning for hot seasons or hot climates..  I do my best to avoid A/C, and now I feel uncomfortable in a car using A/C or a store or restaurant using A/C. 

It's interesting seeing the tourists coming out from their pricy air-conditioned hotels, and sweating and suffering in the heat,  and I'm now fine, not soaked in sweat and used to the heat and humidity. 

ac·cli·mate

ˈakləˌmāt/
verb
NORTH AMERICAN

1. become accustomed to a new climate or to new conditions.

If you depend on A/C in your home in the tropics... you will ALWAYS be very uncomfortable without it. 

Edited by Catoni
addition

I would sweat with the a/c at 24 or above 

I like 21/22 all night long and when home the same.  It's no difference when I use heating back home it's about 21/22  as well or  71/72 farenheit which is pretty normal for most people when heating their house. 

Its hot every night in Bangkok but I did turn it off for 4 nights a few weeks ago when we had a cool spell with lots of wind and one night last week otherwise back to 22!

12 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Fan only.   I found in the past that if I used A/C, I would never get used to the hot tropical climate. Every time I went outside, the heat and humidity would hit me like a brick wall.

Experimenting, I found that doing without A/C, and using only a fan....I suffered and was soaked in sweat for about three weeks or a bit longer, and then my sweating slowed down to normal and I was fine. 

I could still feel that it was hot, but no longer suffering with it. It didnt really bother me too much anymore. 

There is a name for it.  Acclimatization.    Becoming acclimated to the climate. It takes between two weeks...to a month... to acclimate yourself to the tropical heat if you work at it and know how. And it's definitely worth it. 

I went from Canada in the middle of an icy, snowy winter, to hot tropical Thailand in less than 24 hours. Before leaving Canada, I had studied "Acclimatization".... about the body adjusting to new climates.  Before I went to hot tropical Thailand, I bought light, thin, roomy clothing that "breathes" and wicks moisture away so to speak... ditched the shoes and socks and got a good pair of walking sandals with arch support and heel strap, so my feet would be exposed to the air and be cooler and dryer than they would be if cooped up in socks and shoes. In the hot tropics, I always had a bottle of drinking water with me. I bought electrolyte replacement powder, but did not use a lot of it.... mixing just a bit into the water.
Wore a hat in the sun... IMPORTANT: I did NOT use airconditioning....I only used fans in my residence room. Because I found out if you spend hours in air-conditioning.... you confuse your body's systems and not be able to adapt.... and you will NEVER acclimatize and NEVER get used to the tropical heat and humidity.

For the first approximately three weeks and a bit more... I was suffering in the heat, very uncomfortable, sweating profusely, constantly drinking water with a bit of electrolyte powder in it... (I didn't use as much electrolyte powder as it calls for, I don't like taking in a lot of salt which is in it.) But after about three weeks.... my sweating slowed down.. .and I started to feel a lot better. I still felt the heat but now I didn't suffer in it. Now... I swear off of air-conditioning for hot seasons or hot climates..  I do my best to avoid A/C, and now I feel uncomfortable in a car using A/C or a store or restaurant using A/C. 

It's interesting seeing the tourists coming out from their pricy air-conditioned hotels, and sweating and suffering in the heat,  and I'm now fine, not soaked in sweat and used to the heat and humidity. 

ac·cli·mate

ˈakləˌmāt/
verb
NORTH AMERICAN

1. become accustomed to a new climate or to new conditions.

If you depend on A/C in your home in the tropics... you will ALWAYS be very uncomfortable without it. 

I think you are very unique because there are many posters who have said it takes a year + to acclimate to Thailand weather, and since I'm here for 6 months a year I just prefer a/c everyday. It makes life comfortable. I always laugh at the people on airplanes who dress like they are going to Alaska when traveling to Thailand, I just assume they have weak systems or something. 

Edited by alex8912

32 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think you are very unique because there are many posters who have said it takes a year + to acclimate to Thailand weather, and since I'm here for 6 months a year I just prefer a/c everyday. It makes life comfortable. I always laugh at the people on airplanes who dress like they are going to Alaska when traveling to Thailand, I just assume they have weak systems or something. 

Studies in the literature show that, if you make a SERIOUS effort to acclimate properly, it takes somewhere around three weeks to a month to acclimate to new conditions such as moving to a new climate, and three to six weeks for moving to a much higher altitude like if you are going to cities higher in altitude like the mountains of Nepal or Tibetan plateau for instance.. 

Yes, it can take some people a year or more, especially if they are overweight., and if they do not make a serious effort to acclimate....(they use A/C a lot etc.)  

Some people may NEVER acclimate because of A/C use and/or overweight and out of shape for their age.  (I'm 66 by the way)

Personally... I found the first three to four weeks very uncomfortable.. soaked in sweat, suffering in the heat and humidity...  and then I started feeling much more comfortable....  sweating slowed to normal... no more suffering in the heat....  and the days were getting even warmer approaching Songkran time.

I'm sure that my body would continue to acclimate for perhaps a year.  But the worst part was over in three weeks to a month and I was much more comfortable in the heat than previously.  

I also found that by leaving the A/C off when in Thailand/Cambodia etc..... that my electric bill is much, much lower. 

Fan only...  

Edited by Catoni
correction

I like the a/c on and cold, especially at night. My woman and I curl-up underneath a comforter and enjoy each other, even in sleep. However, I am not worried about the cost of a/c; maybe if I was, it wold make a difference, but I doubt it. The pleasure of intertwined bodies, makes it worthwhile.