Airconditioner wars with the missus!

sikishrory

49 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's all about the fan. I sleep with a ceiling fan and aircon set to 28C. Right now the room temperature is 28 - 29C, so no aircon.Less fan power requires cooler numbers. I set my room climate so that I can sleep on top of the sheets and not sweat. It's a bit silly to cool the room down so that I have to use blankets to stay warm LOL. If the humidity is high, I may have to drop the aircon setting down a degree.

You are right i guess, though I like it how i do it now. I can't place a ceiling fan in my bedroom. The roof plate is too thin. It would have been a good idea otherwise. Im not too bothered about my electricity bill. Less is always better but its not the most important thing ever. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so. That applies only to the ones in common use in LOS. In Saudi the AC cooled outside air that was blown into the room.

I'd assume such was available in LOS if one really wanted one.

the aircons you are referring to blew only a small percentage (3-5%) of outside air into a room when a little flap was opened by a lever. some manufacturers designed their units that the same amount was exhausted from the room and replenished because of the difference in air pressure.

Acclimatise yourselves to the weather here!

We never have air con turned on in the daytime... only when its the crazy hot season and temps go through the roof.

When we have it on its always set to 26 - 27.

At this temperature it is very comfortable, economical, and better for the environment. 

If we were to set it down to 24.. then go outside we would get a huge shock to the system.  

At night just have windows open, and a fan on.  

People saying they can't cope if the temperature is over 24 need to go live in a cooler country!

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

We never have air con turned on in the daytime... only when its the crazy hot season and temps go through the roof.

At this temperature it is very comfortable, economical, and better for the environment. 

If we were to set it down to 24.. then go outside we would get a huge shock to the system.  

People saying they can't cope if the temperature is over 24 need to go live in a cooler country!

Most of what you said was reasonable, but that last comment was absurd. This is not the jungle. Air conditioning is commonplace in most establishments and most houses have them so even the people who can't cope with high temperatures can live comfortably. Obviously, Thai people born in this hot climate love aircon too.There is a difference between coping and living comfortably. I don't think most expats came here just to "cope". If you came here just to "cope", then perhaps you need to move to another country where you can really enjoy your life.:smile:

On 1/22/2018 at 9:44 AM, robblok said:

I lived my first years in Thailand without aircon.. i can only say.. NEVER AGAIN.

Money was not the issue it was the land lord that did not want them installed. I NEVER acclimatized and hated it always when it was hot. Now I got an airon in each room i use (except kitchen) and i use them whenever I want.

People are different.. what people are willing to spend money on varies. Your life your choices mine are different.

What temperature do you set your gym to? There were a few days last month and this month where I could train without aircon as the gym temperature fell below 26C, the temperature I keep my gym at when I train, but with fans blowing too.

On 1/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, Catoni said:
On 1/19/2018 at 8:39 PM, HerbalEd said:

Aircon brings into the room fresh filtered air — with oxygen — from outside. 

Depends on the A/C unit.  For the best in filtration...... a regular A/C unit won't filter the air much at all except for large stuff.  You would need to shell out the big bucks for the best A/C unit on the consumer market.

As for oxygen.....  in the tropics I just open the screened windows.  

How would a split style air conditioner, the most commonly used here, bring in fresh filtered air from outside? All the airconditioner brings in from outside is cooled refrigerant from the outdoor unit (housing the compressor, condenser, fan and expansion valve) through an insulated copper pipe. The Indoor unit sucks in hot room air that rises through an air filter and cools it down by heat exchange and blows out cool air. It just circulates the air in the room. If the room is completely sealed the oxygen level will fall. The only way fresh air gets in is through gaps under the door unless you allow fresh air in through a window or other vent.

18 minutes ago, Naam said:
3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

who cares?

That seems to be a big problem in Thailand. The heat goes straight through the roof as there is no insulation.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

The trick is to bring fresh air in somewhere. Leave a window slightly open, for example. It will cost a bit more to cool the room, but your air will be fresher. The old style wall units used to have vents to the outside, but the new split style can only circulate the air in the room.

Yes but,

Sliding insect screens on doors/windows? What happened to them...

The vents on the old window units were to cool the condenser, not new fresh air.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

10 hours ago, tropo said:

It's all about the fan. I sleep with a ceiling fan and aircon set to 28C. Right now the room temperature is 28 - 29C, so no aircon.Less fan power requires cooler numbers. I set my room climate so that I can sleep on top of the sheets and not sweat. It's a bit silly to cool the room down so that I have to use blankets to stay warm LOL. If the humidity is high, I may have to drop the aircon setting down a degree.

A high ceiling with a fan.

Luxury.

Good night you lucky chap.

:wink:

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:
14 hours ago, tropo said:

The trick is to bring fresh air in somewhere. Leave a window slightly open, for example. It will cost a bit more to cool the room, but your air will be fresher. The old style wall units used to have vents to the outside, but the new split style can only circulate the air in the room.

Yes but,

The vents on the old window units were to cool the condenser, not new fresh air.

wrong! the wall/window units had all a small lever which opened or closed a little flap in the partition which separates evaporation section from condensing section. depending on the manufacturer, the location and the design of this flap a small amount of outside air was added to the recirculated room air or sucked out.

American made units sucked air, Japanese made units blew in outside air.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

How would a split style air conditioner, the most commonly used here, bring in fresh filtered air from outside? All the airconditioner brings in from outside is cooled refrigerant from the outdoor unit (housing the compressor, condenser, fan and expansion valve) through an insulated copper pipe.

the National/Panasonic split units i installed in our home in Germany had a provision for fresh air but that required and additional hole in the wall, diameter ~8cm. any split units sold in Thailand could be converted without any problems.

12 hours ago, Naam said:

the aircons you are referring to blew only a small percentage (3-5%) of outside air into a room when a little flap was opened by a lever. some manufacturers designed their units that the same amount was exhausted from the room and replenished because of the difference in air pressure.

Any amount of outside air is preferable to none at all, as with the AC here. Unless I open a door/ window at some time of the day, I'm breathing stale air with elevated CO2. OK at the moment when it's cool, but not going to happen when it gets really hot.

PS I never have AC on when I'm sleeping as fan is sufficient, but unfortunately, some hotels only have AC ( and duvets ).

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

??????

Would you say the same to people living in cold climates? Don't have heaters and acclimatise to the cold?

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????

Would you say the same to people living in cold climates? Don't have heaters and acclimatise to the cold

No.  Because people can die from hypothermia.. and indeed many old people in the UK die each winter as they can't afford to have the heating on.

I have yet to hear about large numbers of farangs dyeing here because of no air con in the bedroom.  

The more people use air conditioning set a very low temperatures, the worst they are going to feel living here when they step outside, or have to make do without air con for some reason.  

Using the air con is good to get the humidity out of the air for a more comfortable nights sleep, but that does not mean the unit has to be turned down to under 25.  I know people have it set to 16..!!  That is not even possible for the room to get that cold.. and means the machine is running constantly.. using up huge amounts of energy.. and is very wasteful and also bad for the environment. 

Once you start having the air con on at higher temperatures your body will acclimatise to the weather here much better, and you will be more comfortable in the long run.  Now, having mine on at 27 is cold enough.. and I often switch it off as I get too cold.  It's only ever on in the hot season too... because even I find it uncomfortable when the temps get over 35.  

2 hours ago, Naam said:

the National/Panasonic split units i installed in our home in Germany had a provision for fresh air but that required and additional hole in the wall, diameter ~8cm. any split units sold in Thailand could be converted without any problems.

Who cares?  

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Who cares?  

tropo cared!

tropo said:

How would a split style air conditioner, the most commonly used here, bring in fresh filtered air from outside? All the airconditioner brings in from outside is cooled refrigerant from the outdoor unit (housing the compressor, condenser, fan and expansion valve) through an insulated copper pipe.

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yes but,

No, they weren't, they were adjustments to allow fresh air in. You could run them fully closed if you wished. Not all units had the vent.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:05 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Not so. That applies only to the ones in common use in LOS. In Saudi the AC cooled outside air that was blown into the room.

I'd assume such was available in LOS if one really wanted one.

If you are continuously sucking in and cooling only outside hot air, your electricity bill would go through the roof (no pun intended this time LOL). They can probably afford that in Saudi Arabia.

I have a funky system in my rental condo (a custom system that's someone's idea of a joke) that can also suck in hot outside air through vents due to the positioning of the heat exchangers (indoor units). It nearly exclusively cooled down hot air from outside. I had to them close them off to cut down on my huge electric bills. If I ran these full time as they were originally set up my bills would be 10 - 20k a month using just one unit and I have 6 like this.

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

A high ceiling with a fan.

Luxury.

Good night you lucky chap.

:wink:

It's not a very high ceiling, but you can buy fairly low profile fans if you look around. The ceiling is 2.38m.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

If you are continuously sucking in and cooling only outside hot air, your electricity bill would go through the roof (no pun intended this time LOL). They can probably afford that in Saudi Arabia.

the Saudis are not THAT stupid. :smile:

5 hours ago, tropo said:

I have a funky system in my rental condo (a custom system that's someone's idea of a joke) that can also suck in hot outside air through vents due to the positioning of the heat exchangers (indoor units). It nearly exclusively cooled down hot air from outside.

fresh air lover's engineering. :unsure:

On 26/01/2018 at 5:55 AM, Naam said:

the Saudis are not THAT stupid. :smile:

Not to mention that the outside exchanger decreases in efficiency as the outside air temperature rises and doing as suggested adds more inefficiency one would be a complete maroon to consider it.

On 26/01/2018 at 12:05 AM, tropo said:

LOL> I was playing with the words - that's called a "pun".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pun

My apologies as I didn't pick up on your humour. 

With the forum having international membership I incorrectly assumed that you were not native English speaking and thus not familiar with the term.