Airconditioner wars with the missus!

sikishrory

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

that applies to all goodies in life such as good food, good wine, a comfortable home and last not least a good lady.

by the way... some people do NOT want to acclimatize but enjoy the comfort of airconditioning as one enjoys the comfort of heating living in a cold climate. no smart-àrse ever talks of acclimatizing when ambient temperatures are below freezing causing indoor temperatures without heating to drop to extremely uncomforable levels.

The same logic applies to the cost, back in Australia people would spend any amount heating their house in winter, but not use the airconn in summer because it costs too much.

We run the aircon every night at 25 and also have a seiko hygrometer in the bedroom.

When the aircon is started humidity goes to 40% which is dry but early in the morning it's around 70-80% so i don't understand how you can get a dry mouth.

25 is good for us, wife needs a thick quilt for that but i can sleep naked in that temp. 

42 minutes ago, Thian said:

When the aircon is started humidity goes to 40% which is dry but early in the morning it's around 70-80% so i don't understand how you can get a dry mouth.

moutbreather (like me) get a dry mouth when relative humidity drops below 55%. but i rather wake up with a dry mouth which requires only a sip of water than sweating all night.

17 minutes ago, Naam said:

some Thai bashing or derogatory remarks seem to be a must in every thread :ermm:

missus laughs every time she hears me say it again, and again

- it's her lunar sign, which clouds the underlining...

Edited by tifino

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For starters you need to use a thermometer to measure her temp, as just putting your hand on her also depends on your temperature.

However, she does seem unusual in her responses to environment.

Yeh your right. it is just a basic indication that when I'm cold shes hot. I can think of a much more accurate way to test her temperature but I don't think she will be too keen on it 

On 2018-01-19 at 5:43 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

When I moved into my wife's house she didn't have any aircons. A few months later she bought 2 for me and she pays the bill.

I guess I'm lucky.

Yes, you're lucky..... until you step outside into the heat.   

Edited by Catoni

On 2018-01-20 at 5:28 AM, rascalman said:

I am a older foreigner and I just can not take the heat any more. I keep our bedroom cool and living room cool for me. It is a must I have to have it! 

I read where the utilities are going to be going up,  I think meter readers seem to know where we live! 

I'm  bit older also (66).  I was positive that I just HAD to have A/C in the tropics, and in summer in my birth country.....until I learned about acclimatising to the climate.  Now I find A/C to be uncomfortably cold.  

6 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Yes, you're lucky..... until you step outside into the heat.   

I lived my first years in Thailand without aircon.. i can only say.. NEVER AGAIN.

Money was not the issue it was the land lord that did not want them installed. I NEVER acclimatized and hated it always when it was hot. Now I got an airon in each room i use (except kitchen) and i use them whenever I want.

People are different.. what people are willing to spend money on varies. Your life your choices mine are different.

On 2018-01-19 at 8:39 AM, HerbalEd said:

Aircon brings into the room fresh filtered air — with oxygen — from outside. 

Depends on the A/C unit.  For the best in filtration...... a regular A/C unit won't filter the air much at all except for large stuff.  You would need to shell out the big bucks for the best A/C unit on the consumer market.

As for oxygen.....  in the tropics I just open the screened windows.  

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

I'm  bit older also (66).  I was positive that I just HAD to have A/C in the tropics, and in summer in my birth country.....until I learned about acclimatising to the climate.  Now I find A/C to be uncomfortably cold.  

did you know that you can adjust the temperature?  :ermm:

On 21/01/2018 at 2:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

For starters you need to use a thermometer to measure her temp, as just putting your hand on her also depends on your temperature.

However, she does seem unusual in her responses to environment.

Its always better to put the thermometer in an orifice for a more accurate read. But if you don't have a thermometer............

On 21/01/2018 at 7:39 AM, Franko666 said:

Ouch!!!!!!!

On 21/01/2018 at 7:39 AM, Franko666 said:

Ouch!!!!!!!

Rascalman.  So I looked at my last couple of posts and I suspect the one you didn't like was my reply murraynz who basically told you guys that the love of your life is taking you for a sucker and you should go out and get a prostitute instead, for the usual benefits course. And I replied to murraynz  with some irony and facetiousness " Yes there is nothing like fresh pussy............."     as the prostitute he shacks up with has probably had a dozen guys that week       

So good old Murray gets a free pass and I cop a serve. Well I did think my comment was quite funny and reasonably clever and I guess mussa is pleased too because he shafted you and you didn't even know it. :smile:

Edited by Franko666

On 1/19/2018 at 1:11 PM, petermik said:

"darling I think in future its best if you pay for electricity then aircon is under your control,I want you happy khao jai mai" and see her reaction :whistling:

My family uses 3 air-cons every night,  my son monitors / sets the remotes for my room, his & his wifes' bedroom and the bedroom for his  2 daughters.

Quickly goes to 28 degrees with lowest fan speed, everybody happy and keeps the bill down. He also cleans  all the filters etc., every month, seems to help. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Aircon recirculates and cools the air inside, with a good one it might filter but it is not "fresh air".

:wink:

Not so. That applies only to the ones in common use in LOS. In Saudi the AC cooled outside air that was blown into the room.

I'd assume such was available in LOS if one really wanted one.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, scorecard said:

My family uses 3 air-cons every night,  my son monitors / sets the remotes for my room, his & his wifes' bedroom and the bedroom for his  2 daughters.

Quickly goes to 28 degrees with lowest fan speed, everybody happy and keeps the bill down. He also cleans  all the filters etc., every month, seems to help. 

I hope he's paying for the other 2.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:58 PM, robblok said:
On 1/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, Colabamumbai said:

26 degrees recommended.

26 is for me a bit too much when sleeping.. prefer 24. For just working behind the computer 28 is ok especially if i got a fan running too. 

It's all about the fan. I sleep with a ceiling fan and aircon set to 28C. Right now the room temperature is 28 - 29C, so no aircon.Less fan power requires cooler numbers. I set my room climate so that I can sleep on top of the sheets and not sweat. It's a bit silly to cool the room down so that I have to use blankets to stay warm LOL. If the humidity is high, I may have to drop the aircon setting down a degree.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:44 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Aircon recirculates and cools the air inside, with a good one it might filter but it is not "fresh air".

:wink:

The trick is to bring fresh air in somewhere. Leave a window slightly open, for example. It will cost a bit more to cool the room, but your air will be fresher. The old style wall units used to have vents to the outside, but the new split style can only circulate the air in the room.