What makes a Thai

Inspire

What makes a Thai

thai3.jpg

What it takes to be a Thai

This blog has been provided by Asia Backpackers BLOG for Inspire.

With its many different ethnic peoples and its long history, it is difficult to explain in words, the people of Thailand, their traits, idiosyncrasies and general out-look on the world. In the hope that we can give others a better understanding on what makes the people of the colourful Kingdom tick, we have produced a number of collages, that we believe illustrates in a humorous way…… what it is to be ‘Thai’

Road safety is paramount

blog20-300x168.jpg

The third gender are excepted for who they are….

blog114-300x168.jpg

The last picture in the collage shows Lady Boys at the annual ‘Draft Pick’

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/makes-thai/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2018-01-21

• Sad 1

@catman20

Good point, of course, and my Thai is non-existent. No excuses.

However the average level of spoken English in Phuket is unusually bad compared with any country I've visited, apart from non-touristy ones.

Either English is particularly difficult to learn for Thais, or their education system doesn't encourage language skills.

Edited by Tapster
  • Like 1

None of the pictures or the article have anything to do with 'What makes a person Thai'. In fact, some of  this is disrespectful to our hosts.  Instead of  attempting to promote a discussion on something important- you are attempting to promote 'click bait' by using stereotypes and hoping to generate interest.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tapster said:

@catman20

Good point, of course, and my Thai is non-existent. No excuses.

However the average level of spoken English in Phuket is unusually bad compared with any country I've visited, apart from non-touristy ones.

Either English is particularly difficult to learn for Thais, or their education system doesn't encourage language skills.

i here what your saying  BUT  live in pattaya and any girl ive met in a job where English was necessary they can learn it in 3 or 4 months out of a book to a very good level and these are low educated farm girls im talking about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tapster said:

Thai is a language of combined vowels and tones. English is a language of limited vowels and combined consonants. So it's difficult for falangs to learn Thai, and English has the same difficulty for a Thai.

I think English is recognised in Asia as a desirable skill to have. However, like my Thai, it's not necessary to be fluent as long as communication is achieved.

The fact that in a Thai marriage the "man" of the house treats his "wife" like a slave, as it has been witnessed many times, he can beat her up in public with no one daring to interfere or he sits on his big fat behind playing with himself while she is cleaning, washing cooking and rebuilding their derelict homes.  They have a long way to go to come to equality and treat their spouses with respect, it's ingrained in their culture that females are only good for one thing, to be cheap labour and attend their sexual needs.  

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

i here what your saying  BUT  live in pattaya and any girl ive met in a job where English was necessary they can learn it in 3 or 4 months out of a book to a very good level and these are low educated farm girls im talking about.

Seems a lot of people confuse education and intelligence.  With basic education (the 3 Rs) it is possible for an intelligent person to learn most things.

4 hours ago, weri said:

The fact that in a Thai marriage the "man" of the house treats his "wife" like a slave, as it has been witnessed many times, he can beat her up in public with no one daring to interfere or he sits on his big fat behind playing with himself while she is cleaning, washing cooking and rebuilding their derelict homes.  They have a long way to go to come to equality and treat their spouses with respect, it's ingrained in their culture that females are only good for one thing, to be cheap labour and attend their sexual needs.  

Good lord. Clearly your experience with Thais is utterly non-existent.

11 hours ago, AboutThaim said:

Seems a lot of people confuse education and intelligence.  With basic education (the 3 Rs) it is possible for an intelligent person to learn most things.

even monkeys ???????????? i think its the other way around 

12 minutes ago, catman20 said:

how is................................ grammar teacher get a life !

Oh please, you were criticizing them because of your belief that they lacked proficiency in the Thai language when they criticized poor written English. Now, you have taken exception to my criticism of your poor written English. By the way, "he's" is the shortened form of "he is," not "hes."

22 minutes ago, catman20 said:

even monkeys ???????????? i think its the other way around 

You mean, with basic intelligence it is possible for an educated person to learn most things?

Maybe we should start another parallel topic: What do many farangs don’t understand about Thais.

I.e. I read above: “Everything revolves around money.” Is that really true? Sure, there are lots of Thais and lots of farangs who care mostly about money. But money is not everything to many others.

An example is the following: some time ago I was sitting in a restaurant on Sukhumvit with lots of vendors on the footpath. Normally I am not a fan of these vendors because it seems they like to overcharge for everything and, it seems, they are only interested in money.
I had a notebook with me in bag and I put this bag near my chair (yes, I shouldn’t have done that). Suddenly there was a lot of noise on the footpath and a minute or two later one of the vendors gave me back my own notebook. It seems someone walked by and stole it from near my chair and the vendors noticed this and grabbed the thief and returned the notebook before I even realized it was stolen. I was positive surprised and I said thank you and I took my wallet out to give them some thank-you-money. They refused to take it. Since then I see these (always greedy?) people in a different way…

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, weri said:

Yep, works for me and the little lady.