The cheapest farang in town!

DDBKK

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2018 at 9:32 AM, smotherb said:

I think you have hit on a valid point. Having lived cheaply all your life, it could be difficult to change your lifestyle. 

It would be extremely difficult as if you had lived cheaply all you life, you would now be dead, very difficult to change from that position. .

15 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well, there's something else to that.  I worked as an assistant chef once, the chef was a Chinese lady.  She would bring me cups of tea.  "I have tea for you."  But her motive wasn't being nice to me, it was because she wanted the teabag's 2nd brew.

In a lot of places in China, the first brew is for rinsing the dishes.

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its not funny in the slightest .

Some people may give a quick laugh from embarrassment , because you mention wiping your bottom , but I doubt that anyone would genuinely laugh

To:     Professor Gigglybumps,

World renowned expert on what IS and ISN'T funny:

Five reasons why I think my post was funny:

• ·         Given the tiny cost per sheet of toilet paper, many people would be amused that someone would try to save money in this way.
  • ·         The 'second' bowel movement is probably widely experienced by many people, so many people would find humorous the description of having to wipe yourself a second time, because they recognize having had a similar experience. People would laugh in embarrassment at the recognition of the shared humanity of the experience.
  • ·         The idea that someone actually calculated how the tiny amount saved on toilet paper might add up over a 10 year period is funny.
  • ·         Anyone who has ever wondered why someone could possibly be taking so long to vacate a public bathroom stall might be amused by the thought that the real reason was because the stall occupant was waiting to make sure their bowels were fully emptied so they didn't waste toilet paper. :shock1:
  • ·         By apologizing about possibly having kept people waiting, the poster invites the reader to laugh at the poster's eccentricity. The reader is given permission to feel superior to the poster and have a laugh at his expense.
Edited by Gecko123

I am pretty sure I am a cheap charlie. For years I came to Thailand on a $50 a day budget and only spent $35 a day. I stayed in questhouses, got a real thai massage every evening and had a new girl  every night. I went to GO Go bats every night drank soda's and had a great time.The women loved me  I was simple kind and never drunk and did not smoke. But I should mention this was when most women even working the bars did not drink or smoke,they were good farm girls.  Should mention i was only getting 18 baht to the dollar back then also.

I bought 10 houses in my time all got paid for by renters.The house I lived in had a suite ,and i lived in the suite and rented the rest . Lived mortgage payment free most of my life..I bought all my food at the market on sale. 

But the flip side was I travelled every year,owned and race d sail boats. Played sports that once membership was paid was cheap squash,racquetball..Ran ever day (cheap) just need shoes. 

Retired at 57. Even in retirement I am cheap. I saved $100,000 the first 5 years in retirement out of my budget for living. Now I am trying to loosen up on spending but find there is nothing of value I want to buy or own.I just enjoy having the security of heavy cash accessible when I want or need. Gives me peace of mind.

Edited by lovelomsak

12 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have always considered that part of my anatomy "outbound only"  nothing inbound, 'cept a Dr's finger every five years.

Only once every five years????  You must be quite young to be so confident of your prostate health that you can do without an annual check-up.  Or is this another contribution to the main subject of this thread: how low (or high?) in the cheapness stakes can you climb?

11 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

To:     Professor Gigglybumps,

World renowned expert on what IS and ISN'T funny:

Five reasons why I think my post was funny:

• ·         Given the tiny cost per sheet of toilet paper, many people would be amused that someone would try to save money in this way.
  • ·         The 'second' bowel movement is probably widely experienced by many people, so many people would find humorous the description of having to wipe yourself a second time, because they recognize having had a similar experience. People would laugh in embarrassment at the recognition of the shared humanity of the experience.
  • ·         The idea that someone actually calculated how the tiny amount saved on toilet paper might add up over a 10 year period is funny.
  • ·         Anyone who has ever wondered why someone could possibly be taking so long to vacate a public bathroom stall might be amused by the thought that the real reason was because the stall occupant was waiting to make sure their bowels were fully emptied so they didn't waste toilet paper. :shock1:
  • ·         By apologizing about possibly having kept people waiting, the poster invites the reader to laugh at the poster's eccentricity. The reader is given permission to feel superior to the poster and have a laugh at his expense.

Speaking for myself, I am indeed amused by this voluminous effort at self-justification.  In its rather naive view of the outside world it reminds me of the narcissism of Donald Trump.  But at least Mr Gecko is aware of the outside world, unlike POTUS, who is aware of nothing but himself.

10 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I am pretty sure I am a cheap charlie. For years I came to Thailand on a $50 a day budget and only spent $35 a day. I stayed in questhouses.....

Retired at 57. Even in retirement I am cheap. I saved $100,000 the first 5 years in retirement out of my budget for living. Now I am trying to loosen up on spending but find there is nothing of value I want to buy or own.I just enjoy having the security of heavy cash accessible when I want or need. Gives me peace of mind.

The "heavy cash" will be useful when you need to buy a half-decent coffin.  On the other hand, that money will be dished out by your Executor. 

Oh wait, you will not be appointing an executor cos it will cost too much....

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I have seen many falang argue with cashiers in bars, supermarkets, 7-11's .. over 20 baht or a similar small amount.

They are an embarrassment ...        they are the real cheap charlies.

An an even bigger embarrassment is those muppets who just take the thieving/corruption up the ass without saying or doing anything.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

An an even bigger embarrassment is those muppets who just take the thieving/corruption up the ass without saying or doing anything.

oh dear  !  did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.  

I WILL SUPPORT WHO i DAMN WELL PLS. ....  :coffee1:

19 hours ago, blazes said:

Quite honestly, to read about so much cheapness in one thread is nauseating.  IMO, there should be an Eighth Deadly Sin, Cheapness (though Greed and Gluttony might count as an equivalent).

In the general workings of life, I stay away from cheap people.  If you are cheap with your money, you will be cheap with your "heart" - as in generosity of spirit or willingness to acknowledge another's achievements....and so on.

Some of the cheapest people I have ever come across are academics, and often, after experiencing "life" with a cheapo for an hour or so, I have an urgent desire to go home and wash my brains out...

This, with bells on.

really OP, do you have nothing better to do than sit around thinking of ways to be judgemental and criticise others?

why do you care so much? are you such a perfect person?

does your self esteem get a boost from finding someone you feel you can look down on and criticise?

everyone lives their lives as they choose, it's called freedom of choice, it's not your business or my business

live and let live, you'll find yourself a happier person for doing so

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

oh dear  !  did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.  

I WILL SUPPORT WHO i DAMN WELL PLS. ....  :coffee1:

No ...usual side.

You do understand that use of capitals is both poor netiquette...and against form rules.

I imagine that you are probably in that group of muppets that I referred to,

1 hour ago, blazes said:

The "heavy cash" will be useful when you need to buy a half-decent coffin.  On the other hand, that money will be dished out by your Executor. 

Oh wait, you will not be appointing an executor cos it will cost too much....

Spending money is not a priority Any fool can spend money. As far as leaving a lot of money in my estate that just means I had more money then I needed to live my life the way I wanted. I did not suffer being a cheap charlie. I travelled races sail boats (yachts) owned property,womanised. What did I miss. Squandering money is the tract of immature, insecure, needy people.

46 minutes ago, samsensam said:

really OP, do you have nothing better to do than sit around thinking of ways to be judgemental and criticise others?

why do you care so much? are you such a perfect person?

does your self esteem get a boost from finding someone you feel you can look down on and criticise?

everyone lives their lives as they choose, it's called freedom of choice, it's not your business or my business

live and let live, you'll find yourself a happier person for doing so

Dislikes people sitting around being judgemental and criticising others then goes on to be judgemental and criticise others whilst sitting there at their PC. 

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

It's a fun light hearted subject on the joys of life in the land of smiles. 

Difficult to understand, it is not.

We are all bigots. You, me, everyone. Even the monks. Sorry to break it to you. 

Edited by DDBKK

6 hours ago, blazes said:

Only once every five years????  You must be quite young to be so confident of your prostate health that you can do without an annual check-up.  Or is this another contribution to the main subject of this thread: how low (or high?) in the cheapness stakes can you climb?

I do a Physical every year, requirement for my job, they now do Ultrasound tests for prostrate exams, finger waves are only to check for bumps and nodules if suspected, hence five years  -  I am not  Cheap Charlie, but would have a lot more money if I was.   Peace.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, sanemax said:

What about the water from the bum gun ? How far does that water go in ?

What do you think ?  The water pressure will decide how far it goes ,  If you want a real good cleaning , some bum guns can give you a  surprise! 

You can see them every afternoon at the food court at Kad Suan Kaew mall in Chiang Mai listening to the the Philipino band drinking beer and snack food they brought in from outside.

The cheapest guy in America I knew was making about US $180k per year and hardly spent a dime of it.  He owned multiple rental properties. A Surfer, lived in a small car, took free meals at churches and homeless outreach points and showered at the beach.  Supposedly he rented a car to exchange the tires with his worn ones which surely is criminal.  Something always not right about these guys

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, mick220675 said:

I am Yorkshire born and bred, I like to think I am generous in my ways but I have seen my fellow Yorkshire men do some shocking things to save a few pence.

My farther who has a good bit of money dry's his tea bags out and re-uses them 3 times. When I was a kid we would go on holiday to Bridlington for a day, the only money we were allowed to spend was what we found on the floor. When I got marred my dad gave me his 8 year old kettle for a wedding present. I love him to bits but he is tight.

LOL. Your pa must have liked his tea strong. I know a guy that can get a whole week out of a tea bag.

:smile:

I once accompanied a friend to inspect his rental properties that were located about 5 minutes away on the commuter railway. He walked there and back ( half hour each way ) to save the few cents it cost on the train. 

I think though, he must have paid more on shoes than he saved on train fares.

Still, I would prefer him to the "friend" I once knew who complained because I took the bus rather than a taxi at my expense ( I had to pay his bus fare as well ). He even complained that his girlfriend had paid for sausages to feed me while I was staying overnight with them ( I would have paid for them myself if I'd known that sausages would put them in the poor house ).

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Pick an end date, rent a room on the top floor with a balcony.

PS. I use all my tea bags twice.

Please, don't ever do that as you may kill or maim another person below.

Want to do it, buy a sharp bladed knife and rent a room with a bath. Drink a bottle of vodka or whatever in a full bath and ................................................

The worst thing possible is waking up after a failed attempt.

I'm hoping that by the time I need to pass over there are so many oldies sucking so much public resources that they are forced to allow voluntary euthanasia without having to resort to such drastic measures. Surely that will happen in the not too far off future.

NB I'm talking about voluntary, and not assisted for people in terrible pain because of disease, which is already happening.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, DDBKK said:

YES! I've caught one. 

In all seriousness though, I think you may be suffering from selective reading and might I suggest you undertake some self-analysis prior to making forum comments in the future so that you read what is actually written, as opposed to what you want to see. Oh, and maybe refrain from insulting a board member because it's a topic that obviously puts your back up? That's just, you know, child like silly.  

Oh go on then, let's spell it out for you shall we....

1. No one mentioned nana. YOU did, but I didn't. Sukhumvit road is quite long. Many places offer decently priced drinks.  Loitering on the sidewalk outside a pub to save 10 baht is quite frankly sad and you should have some self respect and just enjoy the drink at home.

2.  My point about the baht bus was actually more to do with him leaving a friend hanging around in a Bar for several hours because the individual is too selfish and cheap to take a taxi. What are you banging on about stairs and taxi meters? I think most understand the points being made. You're in the very small minority I'm afraid. 

The point is Thailand caters to many budgets and there is nothing wrong with working to a low one. It's the way in which you conduct yourself.  Obviously some people find that concept VERY hard to grasp and get labelled a farang keenook accordingly.  

Still, I suppose it makes the rest of us look like high rollers by comparison. 

Some good tales from times gone by. Must have been like a different country back in the 70's

Must have been like a different country back in the 70's

Oh yes. 

The locals really did smile back then and it was both friendlier and more violent. 

However, some things were just the same too. Traffic was just as bad, and a tuk tuk driver tried to rip me off!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, JaiLai said:

This would have been too complicated as they would have no book price for a single cup.

Definitely brain overload for the staff

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Can't remember how this started, but if in 7 11, the cups are marked with a price ie you pay for the cup and what you put in it is free. If you want 2 cups, pay for 2 cups.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, blazes said:

Quite honestly, to read about so much cheapness in one thread is nauseating.  IMO, there should be an Eighth Deadly Sin, Cheapness (though Greed and Gluttony might count as an equivalent).

In the general workings of life, I stay away from cheap people.  If you are cheap with your money, you will be cheap with your "heart" - as in generosity of spirit or willingness to acknowledge another's achievements....and so on.

Some of the cheapest people I have ever come across are academics, and often, after experiencing "life" with a cheapo for an hour or so, I have an urgent desire to go home and wash my brains out...

The most miserable people I know are those that think they are better/ more clever/ more important because they can spend large. 

I choose not to spend time with them.

One of the most respected people of our time was Mother Teresa, and I doubt she was running around shouting "look at me at how wonderful I am because I spend lots of money".

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The most miserable people I know are those that think they are better/ more clever/ more important because they can spend large. 

I choose not to spend time with them.

One of the most respected people of our time was Mother Teresa, and I doubt she was running around shouting "look at me at how wonderful I am because I spend lots of money".

My hi-so Thai friends do not walk around covered in gold....But I have seen hi-so farang blokes birds looking like a gold Christmas tree......:saai:

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think LivinLOS has left the thread in a huff, after the 'gay' comments..

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, Gecko123 said:

A money saving tip I'd like to share. You know how when you take a crap and after wiping yourself you discover you haven't quite finished your business, and end up having to wipe yourself a second time? Well, what I do is wait for five minutes before wiping myself the first time to make sure I've fully evacuated. I would estimate I've saved around $30.00 in toilet paper over the past 10 years by doing this. If, by chance, this practice has kept anyone waiting to use the john in a public restroom, my sincerest apologies. :smile:

I had a good laugh at that, but I don't understand why you'd do that in a public loo, as surely the aim is to save your own loo paper? To be a real cheap charley, one would have to live close enough to a mall or big hotel so one could nip over to avoid using one's own paper.

Rather like waiting till one goes to work, so avoiding using one's own paper, and the loo needing less cleaning, thereby saving on cleaning products.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had a good laugh at that, but I don't understand why you'd do that in a public loo, as surely the aim is to save your own loo paper? To be a real cheap charley, one would have to live close enough to a mall or big hotel so one could nip over to avoid using one's own paper.

Rather like waiting till one goes to work, so avoiding using one's own paper, and the loo needing less cleaning, thereby saving on cleaning products.

A mind whose rightful place is the loo floor...