Baggage handlers arrested over thefts at Phuket airport

webfact

Baggage handlers arrested over thefts at Phuket airport

By Salinee Prap 
The Nation

2b2b28aacc00cb6808a528fd0d8393b6.jpeg

Police arrested two worker at the Phuket International Airport and their alleged accomplice over the theft of passengers’ belongings, said Sakhu Police Station superintendent Pol Colonel Jirasak Siamsak on Sunday.

Nirut Saksri, 29, and Manoch Nakphojit, 30, and alleged accomplice Chakrit Chanprasert, 23, were arrested and some 100 stolen items recovered, including computer notebooks, cell phones, imported whiskey, wristwatches, sunglasses and ornaments.

3c7885c1d0adb5f5dbb85544a6f6530f.jpeg

The arrest follows a complaint filed by an airline that passengers’ valuables had been going missing from luggage since late last month. 

The three men, all from Phichit province, reportedly confessed to have stolen tourists’ belongings while they were carrying luggage onto airplanes and also bought stolen items from others.

Jirasak said charges of theft in airport and possessing stolen items would be filed after the investigation was completed. Meanwhile Nirut and Manoch were charged with conspiring to bring items into the Kingdom without passing through a custom’s procedure and possession of marijuana, while Chakrit was charged with possessing “yaba” pills, Jirasak said.

Police and airport officials have conducted random checks on workers who handle luggage and arrests have occasionally been made.

Luggage theft was difficult to detect because most stolen items were small commodity goods and so passengers did not bother to file complaints or were not aware that items were missing, Jirasak said.

369cc2141a232b0bb849f3c2d7d35d80.jpeg

He said that random checking of luggage-handling workers had some affect in preventing thefts and so police would increase random checks. They would also educate luggage handlers and business operators about punishment for crimes of theft and the negative impacts it has on the island province’s tourism.

Jirasak said police would invite airline representatives to view the 100 seized items at the precinct to see if they matched reports filed by their passengers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336785

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-22

The best way to avoid just this sort of crime is avoid putting valuables in check in luggage and invest in a decent case with a lock, preferably with the facility to add a padlock. Otherwise it’s the same as leaving your laptop, watch etc in your unlocked car and walking away 

Edited by MadMuhammad

2 hours ago, webfact said:

random checking of luggage-handling workers

Shouldn't they be subjected to the same security screening as passengers before they are allowed airside? If they can take things out of luggage, they could just as easily put things inside luggage.

Those first pictures are a good reference for examples of what not to put in checked bags: sunglasses and regular glasses are surprising to me, the electronics, watches, all kinds of computer parts and peripherals aren't, but they even stole cheap webcams!

I thought that you couldn't lock your luggage because they had to be able to inspect it if something funny showed up on the xray.

And I guess that means I don't understand the point of the plastic wrap business either, except as a tell-tale. Or is it supposed to help if they drop your luggage in a puddle loading it onto the plane?

Edited by jerry921

1 hour ago, jerry921 said:

Those first pictures are a good reference for examples of what not to put in checked bags: sunglasses and regular glasses are surprising to me, the electronics, watches, all kinds of computer parts and peripherals aren't, but they even stole cheap webcams!

I thought that you couldn't lock your luggage because they had to be able to inspect it if something funny showed up on the xray.

And I guess that means I don't understand the point of the plastic wrap business either, except as a tell-tale. Or is it supposed to help if they drop your luggage in a puddle loading it onto the plane?

"I thought that you couldn't lock your luggage because they had to be able to inspect it if something funny showed up on the xray."

Last I knew baggage can be locked but only with an approved TSA  lock.

But as with any security if a perp wants into something they will find the means to do so.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:11 AM, mok199 said:

this crime not only tarnishes the airline  ..it tarnishes Phuket and Thailand as a whole...''hang em high''

Phuket and Thailand have been tarnished for quite some time.......nothing new  :sorry: