Getting a Will made here in Thailand

Davejf2017

Almost similar. Few nuances depending on your personal circumstances.

Price will depend on caliber of lawyer you want to use. I can recommend one firm where they have UK qualifications as well as Thai and are all bi-lingual.

Also, for any assets in the UK, you will need a separate UK will.

Did one a year ago cost 10,000 has to be in Thai and English, I have no assets in the UK just Thailand.  Include any life insurance policies and bank account numbers.

Although clearly recommended for a number of reasons, I don't believe that it has to be in Thai as well as English as a matter of law.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did one a year ago cost 10,000 has to be in Thai and English, I have no assets in the UK just Thailand.  Include any life insurance policies and bank account numbers.

As well as details of any vehicles ( registration details) and any real property ( usually a condo) and personal property ( e.g. furniture and small effects)

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Had one done by OZ expat lawyer from Melbourne  about a year ago 5000 tb, he told me it's probably more important to have one here in Thailand than Australia,so many people here want their slice of the pie,ambos,morgue,police,hospital.

He's located in Jomtien if you require his details.

Depends where you get the will. 

Thai lawyers will charge anywhere from 5 to 10K depending on whether you want it only in Thai or in Thai and English. English doesn't mean anything to the probate court - that for you.  You really only need the Will in Thai.  Have a second party translate the Will - probably cheaper.  I'm my case, I can translate my own Wills,  so I understand the exact wording of my wife's will with me as the primary beneficiary.  I ironed out discrpancies with the lawyer before she signed.  So I don't need the English tranlation, which to be honest, may or may not be accurate.  It's all in the translation as they say. 
If the lawyer you are consulting wants to charge more at the first consultation than 5k to 10k, let that be a red flag.  If it's for a relatively uncomplicated simple Will, get multiple quotes.  Don't settle on the first lawyer you come across.

The Amphur office can be used to register a will, but it's going to be in Thai and the options are limited.  Think of it this way - it's a very simply will.  If you need more than a simple will, you need to go to a lawyer. 

Thai Wills are good in - Thailand!  Jurisdiction is limited to - Thailand.  If you have assets overseas, you'll need a Will from your home country.

If you have property, consider Usufruct contracts prior to making a Will (assign you rights to the use of the property and land as long as you live).  Also, Thai probate law is very specific about who gets what if it is not explicitly detailed in your Will, or if you are married, then what assets of your wife (if she should die before your) will be assigned to you as beneficiary.  Take the time to make sure that a Will specifies who are beneficiaries, and which parties are not assigned any assets. There are too many stories about Thai family member descending on the Thai (wife's) home after she is gone and taking over the house. 
My lawyer is my executor and I will have him go to court on my behalf if my wife dies before me.  She has a moderately complicated Will because I drafted it with the lawyer with her input and agreement, to protect my interests in the land and property.  My retirement is tied up in my home and property, so yeah, it was worth the time and effort to do it right.  My step son is the the owner of the land, but I'm the owner of anything built on the land.  If my wife dies, the first thing I do is get my lawyer and make it clear to the family that the house is accessible via my permission only.  If that goes south, than I'll lock everyone out and get the lawyer and cops involved until we can get it sorted in probate.  My step son knows the terms and we have a good relationship, but he doesn't live here.  So for the first couple of days, I'll be on my own. 
Regarding your lawyer.  I trust mine because he has done contract work for me before over the years.  Be sure you trust your lawyer before you start.  I trust mine as much as I trust any lawyer - caveat emptor.  So your research.  Look for recommendation by other Expats.  That doesn't mean that their good experience with a lawyer will equate to a good experience for you.  But it does narrow down the field.  Best of luck.

16 hours ago, SaratogaRay said:

Can anyone tell me why to add a letter from my USA lawyer in Thai to my condo title requires me to have a medical check up and bring 2 people with me to summit it.

Thanks for any info  

That doesn't make sense, the only thing that can be "added" to you condo "title". (Chanote) , is either a bank loan, usefruct or long term lease and these are not added to the Chanote but are attached to the Chanote at the Land Office

Now if you are talking about making a Thai Will then yes, for an Amphur Will you must submit the same type of Medical Certificate as you do for a drivers license and you must have two Thais with ID cards to witness your signature on the Will 

Archived