Chiang Rai versus Chiang Mai

jimgilly

Has anyone ever lived in Chiang Mai and then moved to Chiang Rai?  If so, what did you find to be better in Chiang Rai (better prices, weather, less pollution, less traffic etc) and are you happy you made the move?  I'm in Chiang Mai but am considering a move - just not sure to where.

Chiang Rai hasn't got a lot of big city stuff, but they have enough. Advantage is less traffic, disadvantage is you are even further from most of Thailand. I am sure property prices are lower here too, but I have never bought or rented property. I live in the hills on family land. The smoke problem is equal, in some years it is worse in CR, others CM. I think most people would feel somewhat isolated and limited here. While others like the isolation and quieter pace. There is some scenery, nothing much different than CM though.

That being said, CR currently resembles CM from 15 years ago and I am sure they will manage to ruin it soon enough ie. traffic and inflation.

Must agree.  The traffic here on 118 has multiplied exponentially;  the smoke about the same as when I first came here; the land prices are crazy - close to tripled in the past couple of years, mostly due to new highway-side commercial enterprises gobbling up rural rice land.

Hi Jim - I think this is better approached by what is important to you, not others... There are things I prefer about both places... I currently live in a small village 3 hours south of CM, but will likely be getting a place up there soon... my choice will be based on my specific desires...

Do you drive? Do you want to be in the city? Do you like to eat out at varied places? Do you speak Thai? Do you prefer an area with many expats? Or few and enjoy some degree of assimilation? Downtown or countryside? Nice condo with a pool? basic residence?

Chiang Rai is trying to be bigger.  Mucho construction all around, but is still several times smaller and less gridlocked/smoggy than Chiang Mai.

I think people in C.Rai are friendlier.  Their minds aren't poisoned by deluge of tourists.  

A few things C.Mai has over C.Rai:  more restaurant choices, including Mexican.  An impressive aquarium at the zoo (although C.Rai has a small zoo south of town).

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, Chiang Rai is a vibrating city in terms of earth quakes....Good luck!!!!

Agree. It does get the shakes quite frequently.

CM has more options in terms of infrastructure - restaurants, golf courses, hospitals, shopping malls, car service dealerships, etc. Night life much more limited in Chiang Rai. Colder than Chiang Mai in the winter months. Not a great distance to the Mae Sai markets, where one can buy almost anything.

Phayao is worth a look, and I found they are much less likely to try one on, than they are in CR...In CR, the whole tourist this  revolves around their night bazaar, which is kind of lame, complete with warm beer.  I know a few gems in CR, but the streetfood is better in Phayao and the few nightclubs were much better.  BM and Hollywood, but haven't been in a few years.  Very few trashpackers in Phayao, and plenty of Uni girls, a Tesco, and a good hospital.