Bangkok Air Pollution

JimShorts

Just an update from me since last year:

The Sharp FP-F30 purifier I bought here last year for about 3,300b has proved to be a serviceable performer, and adequately handles our main bedroom at home.

However, the replacement HEPA filters situation with Sharp's designated 3rd party filter vendor in BKK has been horrible. So if anyone is considering buying a Sharp purifier unit here, I'd make certain that you're first able to obtain a sufficient number of HEPA filters at the outset, because if you don't, your odds of being able to obtain them in the future are at best uncertain. Especially since none of the retailers that sell Sharp purifiers here actually sell the replacement HEPA filters to support them.

Each HEPA filter on these units is supposed to last about a year, and I was able to purchase a 2nd HEPA filter from Sharp's 3rd party supplier shortly after my original purchase, meaning I'm good for 2019 ahead. However, since that time several months ago, Sharp's supplier has been promising to get in new HEPA filters each month and promising to call us when they get in stock. Well, they've never called us, and when we call them each month, we get the same story, still no HEPA filters in stock. That's gone on now for the past 3-4 months.  So Sharp definitely gets an "F" grade in regards to replacement HEPA filters.

Meanwhile, the two Sndway SW-825 PM2.5 monitors I bought from Aliexpress last year for about $45-$50 apiece are still functioning and giving good readings, although one has had some kind of battery charging/overheating problem lately. So while that unit still works, I have to be careful about not leaving it plugged in 24/7, as I do with my other unit located in our master bedroom.

The PM2.5 sensors have been really valuable in terms of letting us know WHEN we need to turn on our purifiers and when they're not needed, which helps on minimizing the extra electricity use and related electric bills that running the purifiers creates. The PM2.5 readings on the Sndway units are quite accurate and sensitive, and they have a nice clear black and white LCD display that also shows temp and RH.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Grunluft air purifier on lazada highly recommended with a built-in counter. If I put a drop of oil in the frying pan the counter goes From 5 to 300 and the unit kicks in to highest fan speef

3600 baht with 4 filters

If I recall right regarding that unit, the four filters you're mentioning are ONE set, meaning they all get used at the same time...

As opposed to, four versions of the same filter that can be used in succession, the first, then the second, then the third, etc etc...

If I recall right regarding that unit, the four filters you're mentioning are ONE set, meaning they all get used at the same time...

As opposed to, four versions of the same filter that can be used in succession, the first, then the second, then the third, etc etc...
Yes correct. It's only been 2 months and the display is suggesting to replace a filter that should be replaced in 6 months according to the manual however it's probably due to cooking smoke so I just turn it off or leave it on low speed manual mode now

yes, you should be monitoring and keeping windows and doors shut.  The last few months reading have been over 100 AQI based on 2.5 micron.

Even greenpeace have noticed that thai goverment stops readings and restarts them again but at a rolling average.

rolling average of course also includes a 2.5 estimate based on 10 micron readings which of course makes no sense.

So if you live in center of town you have been breathing what would be considered hazardous amounts of small particles for the past 3 months.

Pakistan and Bangladesh are actually honest about air quality index and actually intend to clean it up

here I guess the junta sees it as something to be covered up, hidden along with talk of mafia on koh tao, dying tourists, ripped off tourists and of course no interest in discussing a boat load of dead chinese.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, oval said:

Has any consensus been reached on what the best, most convenient, and cost effective option for air purifiers here in bkk is? I want to buy one. 

I would say the Xiaomi Mi 2s, especially as if you're lucky you can get it for less than 4000 baht on Lazada with a discount code. The website tohome also sells them quite cheaply. Replacement filters are also available on Lazada for 1000 baht.

Has any consensus been reached on what the best, most convenient, and cost effective option for air purifiers here in bkk is? I want to buy one. 
As mentioned go to lazada there a few under 4k. Get the names and do a separate Google search for reviews.

The one I mentioned a few posts up even kicks up a fan speed and starts ticking up the numbers when I use the microwave.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, John, showing 122 on my chrome extension...As far as the purifiers..I think 

hatari might be a good choice, and as you made us aware, it is al;l about the replacement filters..Hatari fans are one of the best thai brands i have experienced.  Some of the others think they are Hewlett Packard or something..we'll give you a great deal on the machine, if not free, and then you'll buy the filters from us with a 1800% mark-up.  Something to be said for living near the river though, seems to be some good movement of air, we'll see.

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

yep, John, showing 122 on my chrome extension...

What Chrome extension are you talking about?  And what source(s) is it reading/reporting on?

BTW, since it's a new smog season and many months since the last go-round, the following website is the source for the BKK PM2.5 readings I posted above:

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital/

Chula is pretty much in the center on BKK in the Silom area. But the same site has readings for other sensors in the broader BKK area, as well as some other Thai locations, although a lot of Thai locations still don't report PM2.5 and only report PM10 instead, which is a less critical pollution component.

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

world air quality...you can right click and choose the location..I am now using Chulalonghorn hospital..but there are many others...displays in real time..and a right click gives me the different readings...

If you mean this extension...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/world-air-quality-index/hhhfnanaabgcafkmlplbifbhknnbmidl

I believe it's from the same people and same sources as the website I listed above -- aqicn.org

BTW, here's the color-coded scale for the AQI readings, which for BKK always or almost always are based on PM2.5 levels.

The AQI index number is a different scale and number than what people's home PM2.5 sensors will report, which are values in micrograms.  So in the chart below, I added in the equivalent ranges for the microgram reading in each category.

958841824_AQI-PM25ConversionChart.jpg.994a61511b3804c7dffd568f000dd46b.jpg

So for the past couple days in BKK, we've largely been in the middle of the orange colored "unhealthy for sensitive groups" category, with a few brief spikes up into the very low end of the red "unhealthy for all" category.

the extension displays the 2.5 reading..but you can click on it and get five others plus temp, wind, humidity, and pressure.

I monitor indoor humidity, cost about 150 thb at banggood, just to make sure my old ac is doing me right.

The Mi 2s is going to be available for 4xxx baht from a number of sellers for the 11.11 sale on Lazada. That could be the last chance to get it at a nice discount this cool season.

And 3Mdelivery are selling their 9332A+ masks at a reasonable price for anyone who wants 99+% protection.

so what, don't open any windows/doors or walk in the street unmasked  until the whole day at Chula Hospital is yellow for a few days ?   or a week?

Only masks I ever see are for those with colds,  can't imagine exercising at  Lumpini  with one on .......

46 minutes ago, chubby said:

so what, don't open any windows/doors or walk in the street unmasked  until the whole day at Chula Hospital is yellow for a few days ?   or a week?

Only masks I ever see are for those with colds,  can't imagine exercising at  Lumpini  with one on .......

No to all that on several counts:

1. The PM2.5 air quality reporting data on green / yellow / orange etc is updated throughout the day and night on the aqicn.org website and related places. So you can always see how things are and are trending, more or less in real time.

Obviously, everyone can make their own behavior choices based on their personal judgments, health situations, sensitivities, respiratory issues, etc etc.  For me, if it's green or yellow, I'll go outside and do regular activities. But once it starts getting into the orange or higher categories, that's when I'll start donning a mask outside.

2. The kind of masks to use for PM2.5 air quality purposes are the 3M N95 variety that are sold here in various places, and in various models. They're re-useable, meaning you can get more than one wear out of each mask, although probably you generally don't want to wear one for extended periods more than a couple days per mask.

The ones I have at home right now are the 9010 model for every day use, and the 9211+ if I'm planning to do some heavy exertion/exercise.

Lazada has 3M masks available:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719cYS3c9n&q=n95 mask&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=n95 mask_0_1

There's also an online store here in TH that specializes in these products:

https://www.3mdelivery.com/particulate-respirators/sct/30

I think last year, a lot of folks were speaking well of the 3M VFlex 9105 variety of masks in terms of being comfortable to wear, and at least many months ago, those were found in some Tesco stores. But not sure about now...

In terms of exercise, if needed, supposedly, the ones with an exhalation vent tend to work better, as with the following example. But they also tend to be higher priced.

1914518522_2018-11-0418_55_35.jpg.6ecd6808e10ac0ce12de53ba5b7814a1.jpg

29 minutes ago, chubby said:

from your answer it seems to be a "yes on all counts",  are you saying check hour by hour the readings and then don't go outside if it is orange ? 

Nope, I said as follows:

But once it starts getting into the orange or higher categories, that's when I'll start donning a mask outside.

The long and short of it for BKK is:

Probably since last April or May (the general end of the smog season here), there have been rare occasions where anyone needed to worry about masks outdoors, because the readings day to day generally have been/generally are below problem levels. That is the seasonal aspect to smog in BKK.

However, now we're heading into the November to April smog season, where the daily readings often are in the unhealthy for sensitive or unhealthy for all categories, or even higher at times.

Just as a routine during those months, I'll tend to keep the air purifiers on at home sufficient to keep the indoor air quality levels where I want them to be.

Then as far as outdoors is concerned, during the smog months, when I need to go outdoors for any particular reason, usually in the morning when getting ready, I'll check the current smog reading on my PC (have it saved as a Home Page) and see what kind of day/smog levels exist. Then if the levels are orange or higher, I'll wear a mask when I'm outdoors.

That's my routine. Everyone else is free to decide what works best for them. I have some allergy and sinus issues, so I tend to shift toward the self-protection end of the spectrum.

In my home in BKK the past few days, the micrograms of PM2.5 readings INDOORS WITHOUT the air purifiers on have been in the range of 25-30 mcg -- which is equal to AQI numbers, respectively, of 78 moderate to 89 moderate.

The outdoor readings from the Chula Hospital site in the Silom area have been around 120 AQI / 43 micrograms PM2.5, which is midway in the range of unhealthy for sensitive people.

Here's a U.S. govt. website that allows for the conversion between AQI and mcg numbers.

https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-calculator-concentration

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Just the pm2.5 meter costs nearly as much as the air cleaner, so I took cleaner instead.

The Sndway PM2.5 sensors sold via various vendors on Aliexpress tend to run around $50 U.S. or 1500-1600 baht.

Still, it's nice to get an air purifier that comes with a PM2.5 sensor built-in -- just so long as the sensor itself in accurate (the original Xiaomi 2 had issues with that), and it's a purifier for which good quality HEPA replacement filters are readily and affordably available.

Have been looking at this thread this morning and like most of all I have the feeling that this year’s pollution has been ridiculously worse than any other over the last 6-7, without anyone talking about this topic in the public debate.

I’ve got two purifier units at home (bedroom / main area) but wanted to check if anyone had ever done a DYI installation to add filters directly into the air intake of their aircon unit .

Is that dangerous ? I suppose it would put a strain on the fan but I figure that trying to filter air directly from the source + running the purifiers indoor would do wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, seb2015 said:

Have been looking at this thread this morning and like most of all I have the feeling that this year’s pollution has been ridiculously worse than any other over the last 6-7, without anyone talking about this topic in the public debate.

I’ve got two purifier units at home (bedroom / main area) but wanted to check if anyone had ever done a DYI installation to add filters directly into the air intake of their aircon unit .

Is that dangerous ? I suppose it would put a strain on the fan but I figure that trying to filter air directly from the source + running the purifiers indoor would do wonders

Thus far this smog season, which is just now beginning, the numbers in BKK aren't any much different than they were last year. Can't speak to comparisons going further back than that.

As far as built-in air con units are concerned, I don't think most are physically capable of being properly fitted with an inch thick HEPA filter like those used in most air purifier units. Not to mention, the height-width dimensions for air purifiers tend to be very different from those of typical split air con fan units.

But what people have done -- and can do without risk of damaging or too much interfering with their air con unit's operation -- is cut and place 3M Filtrete media sheets over the surface of their air con unit's removable filters. Those Filtrete sheets, which can be bought in HomePro and elsewhere, have to be replaced periodically and cannot be re-used -- they have to be thrown out and replaced. But they do do quite a good job in helping purify the indoor air and lessen the load on / need for your indoor air purifier units, IME.

If the smog got bad in BKK or wherever I was living and my air purifiers were having a hard time keeping up, I'd certainly add Filtrete sheets over the surface of my air con filters. And in fact, I keep a couple rolls/boxes of Filtrete media in the closet at home just for that purpose, should the need arise.

Bad news from Pattaya , Naklua area.    

The AQI reading is as high as 153 (65) .  This is from my balcony . It never went below 150 AQI. 

It's been good weather outside the last few days , but very dusty.  

I don't know how the sensor in the Xiaomi 2S works... But for my Sndway sensors, when I first turn them on, they seem to start to a particular mcg value, and then start gradually adjusting to what the actual levels are in the room. That process usually takes a minute or two before they reach and show a stable value once activated.

And re purifiers, FWIW, the Sharp unit I bought here works perfectly fine in our main bedroom, and never creates any smell in the room. Though it does have a plasmacluster ionizing feature that I keep turned off, but when turned on, can add a certain smell. The main issue with the Sharps here is Sharp's designated and only 3rd party HEPA filter vendor in BKK is TERRIBLE at keeping replacement HEPA filters in stock. But in my case, I stocked up at the time of the original purchase when they did have extras in stock.

IME in Bangkok, except for Xiaomi and the Hatari purifier models, virtually none of the retailers that sell purifiers directly ever seem to stock the replacement HEPA filters for the various models they sell. They'll always tell you to contact the manufacturer or some other party, who may or may not have them available.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad day.... More coming... Get ready!!!!

1558336672_2018-11-1511_29_32.jpg.7b9bafc5fdf4db452fe83424a2a84b48.jpg

BTW, an AQI reading of 155 for PM2.5 equals an actual reading of about 63 micrograms.

Here's what my PM2.5 sensor was reading indoors this morning, with my air purifier set on HIGH!  So a good HEPA purifier really can make a world of difference in your indoor air quality.

220974956_2018-11-1512_01_02.jpg.c6ce8db44d518310f8531da4d499578d.jpg

A reading of 5 micrograms is halfway in the "good"/green air quality scale for PM2.5.

Archived