Search operation underway for Irishman who is missing in Thailand

webfact

Search operation underway for Irishman who is missing in Thailand

Kathy Armstrong

Anthony-OSullivan.jpg

Anthony O'Sullivan has gone missing in Bangkok

A search operation is underway for an Irishman who went missing in Thailand four days ago.

Anthony O'Sullivan, who is from Mitchelstown in Cork, was in Bangkok city when he went missing.

It has been confirmed that his passport and bank card have been found in his hotel bathroom.

His worried brother is in Bangkok and is helping to co-ordinate the search operation.

Full story:  https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/search-operation-underway-for-irishman-who-is-missing-in-thailand-36515949.html

-- INDEPENDENT 2018-01-23

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search underway for missing Corkman in Thailand

A search is underway in Thailand for an Irishman who’s been missing for around four days.

Anthony O’Sullivan from Mitchelstown in Cork was in Bangkok before he disappeared.

The Department of Foreign Affairs have confirmed they are aware of the situation and are offering help to Mr. O’Sullivan’s family.

It’s one of three searches underway on three continents for missing Irish people.

Full story: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/search-underway-for-missing-corkman-in-thailand-824107.html

-- Breaking News 2018-01-23

4 minutes ago, greenchair said:

He'll turn up dead or alive soon. 

As they do in Thailand. 

And what if he doesn't turn up dead or alive? Does that mean he could be either dead or alive? And if no trace of him is ever found, will the coroner eventually rule that he is likely to be dead or alive? Hmmm ... perhaps Irish folk have a different state of being that I haven't heard of before -- pickled in Guinness and therefore in a state of suspended animation????

:crazy:

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

And what if he doesn't turn up dead or alive? Does that mean he could be either dead or alive? And if no trace of him is ever found, will the coroner eventually rule that he is likely to be dead or alive? Hmmm ... perhaps Irish folk have a different state of being that I haven't heard of before -- pickled in Guinness and therefore in a state of suspended animation????

I have seen a few like that, but I hope this one turns up well!

46 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

At this stage a bit of respect, if nothing else, might be a good start, rather than attempts at clever soundbites.

If you're referring to my post, I think you missed the point. It was a friendly jibe at the previous post, not an attempt at disrespect. I would have thought that that was obvious. Like everyone else, I too hope the man is safe and well.

Four days is not a very long time to warrant mounting a search operation but maybe we are not being told all the facts.

Maybe he has taken off to an Island somewhere or even Pattaya. Sounds like his accommodation is cheap enough to keep while away if there is no room safe. 

Edited by Toshiba66

2 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

Four days is not a very long time to warrant mounting a search operation but maybe we are not being told all the facts.

Maybe he has taken off to an Island somewhere or even Pattaya. 

I think this is an unofficial family search rather than an official police search. They obviously know him well and as you say have reason to be concerned.

after making the mistake the last time of saying it's far too early to report an adult missing in thailand then to find he seemingly had some serious health issues which was probably why they were so concerned, i'll just say on this one i hope he turns up safe and well.

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I wonder why his passport and ID were located in the bathroom, quite strange.

Over twenty-five years ago when I first visited Thailand, I'd read about scams, thefts from hotel rooms, etc.

I didn't think trusting the safe in reception was a good idea. Perhaps I was just too paranoid on my first visit.

When I went out in the evenings, I would leave my valuables in my money belt hanging on the towel rail in the bathroom, covered by the towel.

I thought it could be the last place someone might look if rifling through my room.

The fact that his Passport and Bank card were found apparently in his room, means that wherever he went it was for only a short while, hence the short time to set up a search, he could very well be fine , however the circumstances state that another scenario is possible even likely. As per usual the exact location is not divulged so anyone out there in that area will not be aware. 

Safe return is hoped for but caution is requested on that score. 

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Schroedingers cat comes to mind

20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Over twenty-five years ago when I first visited Thailand, I'd read about scams, thefts from hotel rooms, etc.

I didn't think trusting the safe in reception was a good idea. Perhaps I was just too paranoid on my first visit.

When I went out in the evenings, I would leave my valuables in my money belt hanging on the towel rail in the bathroom, covered by the towel.

I thought it could be the last place someone might look if rifling through my room.

Got it, last place I would look is under someone's wet, manky towel.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

The discovery of yet another foreign corpse found in mysterious circumstances pending. Too many here.  But let's hope he turns up safe and sound.

The only mystery is why so many westerners come here and get so drunk or drugged up chasing ladies of questionable virtue that they lose the ability to take care of themselves as responsible adults.  Guys need to stop behaving like 12 year old boys and they might stay safer here. 

Maybe he went out without his papers and couldn't remember the place he was staying. Could've met up with a voluptuous lady, or whatever and is making the most of it. I hope so.With the proliferation of mobile  phones people get out of their cots if some of us are not available 24 hours a day. Let's hope he turns up. With or without his cash.