US car rental with Thai driver license

Your Thai drivers license should be accepted since it is in Thai and English now. You could also get a international drivers license from the Department of Land transport where you got your drivers license if you have a 5 year license.

Check with a rental car company to confirm they will accept it. 

I've rented Hertz, Avis and Enterprise using my Thai license without any issue, didn't have an International License either.

On a pricing note. I've often used rentalcars.com, and their best deals usually exclude you using your US license, so the Thai one will often get you a better price.

42 minutes ago, Manassas said:

PS I've asked my US accountant, that if my former state of residence will not recognize me as a resident for purposes of a driver's license, do I still have to pay that state's income tax!!!  

Depend upon the state

Virginia for instance,  compares their state income tax roles with their DMV rolls to find any matches, or more importantly mis-matches.  I think California does the same

Virginia for instance,  compares their state income tax roles with their DMV rolls to find any matches, or more importantly mis-matches. 

Actually, you can keep your Virginia drivers license when you abandon the state, as this is not an indicator that you have not abandoned Virginia for another domicile. Just don't try and renew, as this would indicate an intent to eventually return to Virginia -- and thus subject you to continuing income taxes.

The Department has found that an individual may successfully establish a domicile outside Virginia even if he retains a Virginia driver's license.  See Public Document (P.D.) 00-151 (8/18/2000).  However, obtaining or renewing a Virginia driver's license is considered to be a strong indicator of intent to retain domiciliary residency in Virginia.  See P.D. 02-149 (12/9/2002)

For Manassas, then, as your state won't renew your drivers license, it's saying that it does not consider you a resident, thus a priori not subject to resident income taxes.